Deshler Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Deshler Ohio

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Well I made my first trip up to Desler Thursday, after checking out what was working in Lima. The first train I caught on the way up there was on the Toledo sub just south of Leipsic. As I was filming this I heard a NS train pass through town, can't catch them all.

As I crossed over the CSX Garret Sub (rt 65 grade) I could see an easbound and a westbound. Would have been the perfect meet but I decided that this spot was too dangerous so I went into Deshler. The westbound was a CSX coal train loaded. I didn't catch the point loco but the second was 5000 'diversity in motion'. I set up just in time to catch the eastbound, a BNSF coal train.

I moved the car around the block and spotted a green signal, a westbound headed to change to south on the toledo sub. I don't know if their brakes were all off because the screeching was deafening. Halfway through a manifest almost snuck by...

Ex Conrail leads this Ethanol with style.

And another autorack heading down the toledo sub. This was the only other mainline train I saw head south, I heard a rumor of a car strick south by Troy. Anyone hear anything? This autorack was still in Lima at 2 pm ( filmed it in Deshler about 12).

Always great to catch a meet and choose the correct side to see both sets of locos.

I caught this manifest but a mother/slug set from lima was waiting to head north and I wasn't fast enough to catch them.

My favorite catch of the day was the last train. The scanner in the railpark warned me of its approach. A BNSF/KCS/BNSF sandwich pulling a crude oil train.

And for people who just like to watch the locomotives I made an edited video...

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Deshler Ohio

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Around 11PM on the 15th CSX struck a car at River Rd. between Piqua and Sidney. Then around 5 AM on the 16th they struck a car at Union St. in Troy after the drunken owner parked the car on the tracks and walked home from there.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Wonder what had been holding trains up then because it was before 11pm on the 15th.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

alittlevanwerty wrote: I moved the car around the block and spotted a green signal, a westbound headed to change to south on the toledo sub. I don't know if their brakes were all off because the screeching was deafening.
No brakes, just normal screeching around the wye

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

And then some...the screeching has long been a fixture on trains rounding the corners at Deshler.

CSX had installed a flange greaser on the wyes at one time, but, I am not sure they are still used...

CG Tower

MagnumForce wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote: I moved the car around the block and spotted a green signal, a westbound headed to change to south on the toledo sub. I don't know if their brakes were all off because the screeching was deafening.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CG Tower wrote:And then some...the screeching has long been a fixture on trains rounding the corners at Deshler.

CSX had installed a flange greaser on the wyes at one time, but, I am not sure they are still used...

CG Tower

Yes. Still in use but deprnding on which transfer and which direction train was heading it may have not found the grease yet.

MagnumForce wrote: