Fostoria, Rail park is back on track

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Fostoria, Rail park is back on track

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Rail park is back on track

Despite a ground-breaking ceremony hosted more than a year ago at the site, the Fostoria Iron Triangle Rail Park has yet to come to fruition

But the project, more than a decade in the making, isn't completely dead in the water -- construction bids will open next month and work is expected to be complete by summer, according to Mayor Eric Keckler.

Winter weather may halt the process temporarily, but Keckler said construction should begin at the site on Columbus Avenue in early spring.

Features of the plans include a covered viewing pavilion, lighting, Wi-Fi network and heated restrooms.

Bids for the construction will be accepted beginning at 2 p.m. Feb. 7, City Engineer Dan Thornton said.

The project will be advertised in the Review Times on Jan. 16, 23 and 30.

The walls came tumblin' down at the former boneyard in December 2009 and local rail enthusiasts were excited to see the changes in Fostoria's landscape.

The demolition marked the first of many steps toward the future railroad viewing center, a tourist attraction that is predicted to bring thousands of rail fans to the area.

Fostoria is considered a railroad mecca due to being the location of the intersection of three major rail lines, through which 150 trains pass daily.

The project was helped along by a grant from the Ohio Department of Transportation for $815,760, which accounted for 80 percent of the $1 million budget.

Donations from the Fostoria Rail Preservation Society, a local group dedicated to preserving and educating the public about Fostoria-area train heritage, gave the project an extra boost, as well.

Past ODOT grant monies inadvertently contributed towards the train tourist destination as Fostoria was previously awarded $300,000 to clean up the site where the project broke ground at the former junk yard.

The city of Fostoria must meet the remaining 20 percent of the budget to fully fund

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Fostoria, Rail park is back on track

Unread post by Y@ »

It won't happen.
Bottom text.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

/sigh

Why exactly won't it happen? Please enlighten the world as to your prophetic knowledge.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Waste of time.. Hey lets all flock to shot druggy city to watch trains. $20 says the crime rate goes up because more people will start getting robbed. This isn't Rochelle...

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

My biggest concern about the park is that once it's there, you won't be able to sit anywhere else in the area. The police will likely tell you "go sit in the park if you want to watch trains". Other than that, I couldn't care if or when the park ever gets built. How long after it opens will it become a vandalized, crime ridden eyesore-days?
I cannot believe the Fostoria Preservation Society is so blind to the true feelings of most railfans. A quick internet search would speak volumes on their part. They are attempting to "give us what we want" without asking anyone.

There is not one person in this world saying "I want to go to Fostoria and watch trains, but there's no park. If they build a park, I'll go there". People either go or they don't.

The fact that Fostoria would have to pay the remaining 20% should be enough reason it won't happen. Use that money to hire more Police or Fire personnel. Didn't they have to lay off some police due to budget issues? How could they justify spending money on "Ellen's Folly" when there are more obvious budget concerns?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I haven't been to Fostoria in over a year, but I will go watch trains at Fostoria whether there is a park or not. In all the times I have been at Fostoria, I have never once felt unsafe even though I know the area around the tracks is known for crime and drug activity but in my defense, I have not hung out there after dark either.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AC60CW wrote:/sigh

Why exactly won't it happen? Please enlighten the world as to your prophetic knowledge.
Well Doug, why don't you just use some common sense and think about it?
Bottom text.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Y@ wrote:
AC60CW wrote:/sigh

Well Doug, why don't you just use some common sense and think about it?

You're the one that is so insistent that it isn't going to happen. I can see why it might not happen. But can also see a bunch of reason why it could and should.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Last time I went there were people smoking weed near there and selling it to kids, needless to say I don't sit at the park anymore. Plus the photo angle there are boring IMO.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

Park or no park it's a wonderful place. I've been going there since 2006 and have never felt unsafe. A park would be nice, but I do agree with the cops telling you to leave a certain location if you're not at the park. That would kill a lot of good locations to film.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Ohiorailfan wrote:Park or no park it's a wonderful place. I've been going there since 2006 and have never felt unsafe. A park would be nice, but I do agree with the cops telling you to leave a certain location if you're not at the park. That would kill a lot of good locations to film.
Uhm, spend the night there and say its safe...Last time I was there I swear I heard more sirens than train horns. :roll:

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I went to Fostoria right before New Years on a saturday night for a bit and I didn't see any railfans and the "railpark" looked just the same as I remember it..A picnic table and a port a potty...Now I thought I would run into Jimmy (CSX109) Wes, and the gang at Poplar Street but they were nowhere to be seen probably because it was really cold that night or maybe they were doing likewise..It looks strange not seeing the platforms there anymore and CSX MOW vehicles were everywhere around the depot and parking lot. I get that feeling that railfans are being pushed out of there and railfanning Fostoria just doesn't have that feel to it like it use to..
Exit stage left

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

Evan wrote:
Ohiorailfan wrote:Park or no park it's a wonderful place. I've been going there since 2006 and have never felt unsafe. A park would be nice, but I do agree with the cops telling you to leave a certain location if you're not at the park. That would kill a lot of good locations to film.
Uhm, spend the night there and say its safe...Last time I was there I swear I heard more sirens than train horns. :roll:
I don't railfan at night anywhere, to many crazy people and it's not worth it

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

I find this discussion interesting. I'm from Indiana, i haven't been to Fostoria railfanning since 2001. The pros and cons of this railfan park is getting quite emotional it seems. 2002 is the last time i've been at Rochelle, ILL. Back then, railfans would also congregate near the diamonds. I was told there were certain railfans that wouldn't think of stepping foot on Rochelle Railroad Park property. I was told in particular, the local and regional fans resented the City spending all that money for "them" when they just wanted to be left alone and do their hobby without rail "tourists", who don't know much about railroads and trains hanging out at the park in droves sometimes. I prefer to railfan alone, maybe with a friend/fellow railfanner on occasion. I liked Rochelle myself, but i could see these tourist-type people hanging around there irritaing the real rail enthusiasts. I didn't realize there was that much crime in Fostoria; has any railfans been assaulted, robbed or ripped off all these years? I certainly wouldn't put a railfan park there for that reason alone!!!!! Berkmeister

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I don't for see the local police causing an issue with "go to the park if you want to watch trains". Many places with similar park that I have been to don't seem to have this issue. As long as you are minding your business and not breaking any laws. Most of the time the police might stop and ask what you are up to. I would love to see something like this built. Sometimes all it takes is something along this line to spur regrowth and development in an area that is not that desired.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Except for the C&O signals, Fostoria sucks. That's all.
Bottom text.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Y@ wrote:Except for the C&O signals, Fostoria sucks. That's all.
Deshler> Fostoria.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

AC60CW wrote:I don't for see the local police causing an issue with "go to the park if you want to watch trains". Many places with similar park that I have been to don't seem to have this issue. As long as you are minding your business and not breaking any laws.
About 10 years ago I was sitting in Leipsic at the CSX/NS diamond, back where the depot sat many, many years ago. The Leipsic police stopped by and after running my plate and license (which I don't have a problem with) they told me "if you want to watch trains, there's a park in Deshler". After informing him I am aware of the Deshler park, I was told if I "wanted to watch trains, go there. Regardless, you can't sit here". I know if you are back at Leipsic junction, you are on Railroad property-but I also see tons of photographs online that were taken from there, suggesting others sit back there often. This is the scenario I can see at Fostoria.
Granted, I don't sit in the park in Deshler, either, and the police there don't seem to have a problem with it.

As far as the loss of the platforms sending railfans a message, I will admit people sitting in their lawnchairs on the platforms while something moves through town at track speed on the close track is a very stupid thing to do. I sat my chair on the platforms, but when something went by on the close track, I moved-myself and the chair. not only does staying put look bad (and makes all of us look bad), but a broken steel band on a lumber car, dragging, is a very real possibility. I don't want to end up in the Hospital or Morgue just from railfanning.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

You must have gotten the wrong guy lol Ive had conversations with the Leipsic police multiple times and they always let me sit there and watch. They usually dont have a problem if you stand close to ROW there either.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

There's a certain cop in Leipsic who is a total douche. He stands about 5 foot 8 but the badge makes him a whole foot taller. He's some kinda mexican with short hair. Average body size. Complete a-hole to railfans, no matter where you are he will hassle you. I think his last name is Lopez. Next time he comes at me, I'll be calling his department.
Bottom text.