NS West Virginia Secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

NS West Virginia Secondary

Unread post by JoJames »

Water across tracks at Crooksville has this line shut down till further notice.

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS West Virginia Secondary

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

What trains run on this line? I heard it was only 2.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

On NS's West Virginia Secondary there is the 380+381 pair between Columbus and Dickinson,WV. They tend to meet in the late evening a bit northwest of the flood warning area (i can't remember off the top of my head the name of the usual siding). There's also a few coal trains each week that ply the line, when the loads run they tend to wait for the 380 at Hobson, near sunrise hence the 380 crosses the Ohio and works the CSX interchange at Point Pleasant in decent morning light.

The Ohio Southern, G&W's exOCR from Zanesville (psst..thru Crooksville) to New Lexington, has a coal shuttle run from the power plant at Coshocton of either of two loadouts near Glouster and back, which i believe is a daylight run.
Last edited by chriiis on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The "mighty" Hocking giving southeast Ohio a much needed bath? :D

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

NS has managed to keep trains moving this week despite high water. 380 & 381 have operated close to normal schedule all week but with a hi-rail patrol checking ahead.

Current operation usually has 380 called Watkins Sunday-Thursday around 1630 and at Hobson 0800 Monday-Friday. Northbound 381 is usually called Dickinson 0630 Tuesday-Saturday and at Hobson around 1600 Tuesday-Saturday. These trains usually have a single 6-motor unit and 20-40 cars. The Sunday 380 is normally the big train with 2 units and 50-70 cars.

Coal traffic is way down from the CR years as NS routes a lot of coal moves out the south end via the Princeton-Deepwater District (ex-Virginian). Recent months have seen only a few coal trains each month with symbols 696 (Dickinson WV-Baltimore MD) and 698 (Dickinson WV-Sandusky OH) being the most common. Empty cars for these trains come in via the PD District with no empty Columbus-Dickinson trains seen for several yeas. NS has been operating some coal trains from the mines at Glouster & Burr Oak to Kenova WV. These train operate as 602 load and 603 empty from the mine to Columbus and then east on the NS(N&W) Columbus District & Kenova District to barge loaders at Kenova WV. On the WV Sec 602/603 sometimes operate under a local symbol J7A. Several of the heritage units have shown up on various coal trains but so far not NYC unit NS 1066.

NS also has a 92Z work train assignment working at some point on the line on many days.