N820 N990 Left turn at Deshler

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

N820 N990 Left turn at Deshler

Unread post by JoJames »

Very unusual to see loaded western coal trains operate via Perry. Two have done so this week anyone have any idea why?
Did hear the RM dispatcher mention something about the Pemberville sub plugged and told the N990 was going to operate via Perry. This may have had something to do with this abnormal move.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: N820 N990 Left turn at Deshler

Unread post by Racer »

Doesn't N820 go to Detroit Edison's Belle River plant?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Here's the first one:

A Halloween pumpkin on the Toledo Terminal by Michael D Harding, on Flickr

FWIW, I have seen loads go that way occasionally over the years (though not often) and I think it generally is due to a mess of some sort on the C&O (track work, jammed up, whatever) that causes them to go via Bates.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JoJames wrote:Very unusual to see loaded western coal trains operate via Perry. Two have done so this week anyone have any idea why?
Did hear the RM dispatcher mention something about the Pemberville sub plugged and told the N990 was going to operate via Perry. This may have had something to do with this abnormal move.
I wonder if part of it has something to do with an available crew? I've taken loads/empties via Bates. Also taken loaded trains and parked them in Walbridge Yard too, if they couldn't handle it further up the line. So, if they're going to be taking the train right away, makes sense to run it via the shorter route at Bates, and keep it out of Walbridge, Fostoria, etc. Otherwise, if its going to sit, let it slug it across the railroad, rather than showing on Walbridge's dwell time for the train.

Practice Safe CSX