B&O CPLs on the Toledo Sub.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

B&O CPLs on the Toledo Sub.

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Doe anyone know of any that are planned to be replaced soon? The last time I was in Cincinnati it appeared that the one in Wyoming was about to be replaced. Has it been? Any help would be appreciated.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: B&O CPLs on the Toledo Sub.

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Doe anyone know of any that are planned to be replaced soon? The last time I was in Cincinnati it appeared that the one in Wyoming was about to be replaced. Has it been? Any help would be uappreciated.
Yes the CPL at Wyoming has been replaced. Glendale too.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

cbehr91 wrote:
Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Doe anyone know of any that are planned to be replaced soon? The last time I was in Cincinnati it appeared that the one in Wyoming was about to be replaced. Has it been? Any help would be uappreciated.
Yes the CPL at Wyoming has been replaced. Glendale too.
Thanks. Are they slowly working their way north?

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Pockets of CPL signals have already been replaced, mostly between Needmore Yard in Dayton and southward toward Hamilton. Hamilton is in process if being re-signaled, but, it will be a slow process as that junction is pretty complex.

Northward, there is no large scale plan to replace the signals, at least not yet...this from the regional signal manager that I know. Currently, they are doing a lot of survey work for Positive Train Control installations. This however will not effect the signals per se.

With that said, it is only a matter of time...but I think we have at least another year before something large scale happens on the Toledo Sub.

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks! When I lived in Dayton I went to Cincinnati about once a week and besides Hamilton there were very few left. I know nothing here in Piqua looks anywhere close to being replaced. The only one is the southbound signal at North Tipp and the intermediates.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Sad to hear that Hamilton is going and Glendale is gone. I have some nice shots of the various CPL installations at Hamilton from 2010. Needmore Yard was already down as was pretty much if not all of Dayton proper, all the way to the north end of the Vandalia siding. Tipp City northward was still CPL's.

Rob81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rob81 »

I am currently sitting at BE.15 (Glendale) on the Toledo Sub and both CPLs north and southbound are still in full operation. The tower for the new signals have been up since April but the actual signals just arrived a month or two ago. Not sure when the work will be completed.
Rob
Lebanon, Ohio

TatesPoint
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TatesPoint »

I am new and learning as I go. What are the CPL being replaced with?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

TatesPoint wrote:I am new and learning as I go. What are the CPL being replaced with?
New signals.
Bottom text.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Railroads are standardizing on a single type of signal system wide to make compatibility easier for the startup of PTC in a couple years.
Not that obvious

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

TatesPoint wrote:I am new and learning as I go. What are the CPL being replaced with?
http://www.rrsignalpix.com/safeofallon.html
Go there, that is what CPL's are being replaced with.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

BnOEngr wrote:..for the startup of PTC in a couple years.
A couple of years in "government time" probably equals about 10-15. The whole PTC project is already in jeopardy, in light of the recent developments regarding tower construction and the ramifications to Native American burial grounds.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

GenXRailMedia wrote:and the ramifications to Native American burial grounds.
Ah yes... All of the 565 Native American tribes out west have the right to review whether the antennae for the PTC on BNSF can be built on sacred ground (found the article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-2 ... -plan.html). Needless to say, that might delay things a bit.

Anyway, the B&O signals on the CSX Toledo Sub north of Hamilton are indeed pretty safe for at least another year or so.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Y@ wrote:
New signals.
:lol:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GenXRailMedia wrote:The whole PTC project is already in jeopardy, in light of the recent developments regarding tower construction and the ramifications to Native American burial grounds.
Funny you post this after the accident in New York. PTC isn't going anywhere. Might be delayed until the agreements are worked out, but it will not be cancelled.

Practice Safe CSX

TatesPoint
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TatesPoint »

After doing some research, if these fact are correct it seems that "Over a 12-year period, cost analysis determined that the accumulated savings to be realized from all of the accidents was not sufficient to cover the cost of PTC across the Class I railroads." 6 - 22 billion is no small chunk of change. In most cases accidents were addressed through rule changes. Human error seems to be the leading cause of most accidents. Another knee jerk reaction by the federal government.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

TatesPoint wrote:After doing some research, if these fact are correct it seems that "Over a 12-year period, cost analysis determined that the accumulated savings to be realized from all of the accidents was not sufficient to cover the cost of PTC across the Class I railroads." 6 - 22 billion is no small chunk of change. In most cases accidents were addressed through rule changes. Human error seems to be the leading cause of most accidents. Another knee jerk reaction by the federal government.
And just what "cost" was assigned to a lost life? The payout made by the railroad/ insurance company? I cannot envision the board meeting where the CEO of BigRail tells the board that they have enough cash set aside to kill 3-4 people per year.

I suggest that you could conduct a similar study of the FRA, OSHA, or EPA regulations and reach the same kind of conclusion. The cost of compliance does not exceed the losses.

There is no financial argument to be made when lives are on the line.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Even if it weren't for PTC, which probably accelerated the project, the B&O CPL's weren't going to last forever. They were rusting out at the bases, and the one at Piqua eventually fell over in a strong wind. Every thing has a service life. If you're truly a fan of 'railroads' you should be taking stock of the fact that the railroads are earning enough money to replace what needs replaced.

Practice Safe CSX

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:Even if it weren't for PTC, which probably accelerated the project, the B&O CPL's weren't going to last forever. They were rusting out at the bases, and the one at Piqua eventually fell over in a strong wind. Every thing has a service life. If you're truly a fan of 'railroads' you should be taking stock of the fact that the railroads are earning enough money to replace what needs replaced.

Practice Safe CSX
Do you know what happened to the southbound signal at North Tipp?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSX_CO wrote:They were rusting out at the bases, and the one at Piqua eventually fell over in a strong wind.
It didn't even take a really strong wind, either... As I recall, it was only 25-30 mph.
Bottom text.