Before the Fireworks: a July 4th I&O LNL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Before the Fireworks: a July 4th I&O LNL

Unread post by heartlandguy »

On the way home from a delicious supper with the family at Five Guys in Lima this evening, I pulled up the ATCS to find a very early I&O train preparing to pull onto the CSX mainline at DT&I Junction. With plenty of sunlight left and gas in the tank, we detoured into Cairo to find him. Soon after I got into position at the lap sidings, there came a familiar rumble of EMD prime movers. From behind a dead loaded phosphate train, out came I&Os LNL (running as Z867 on CSX trackage) with Ohio Central 4028 leading IORY 9500 and 30-35 empty pig iron gondolas, passing the B&O Color Position Lights at Cairo Laps. The group of birds overhead, a beautiful sunset, and the BNSF fauxbonnet in the distance also added to the scene.

The engineer gave two toots of the horn as he passed, bound for the North Star Steel mill in Delta, OH...

ImageBefore the Fireworks by Geddy D., on Flickr
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Before the Fireworks: a July 4th I&O LNL

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Amazing shot!