Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Three cantilever walkways sit near their towers in Dunlap ...
At CP 417 the eastbound signal is on the north side of the tracks with two heads installed (so far) and room for a third head above.
At CP 417 the westbound signal is on the south side of the tracks with nothing installed on the walkway.
(Both signal towers are in place ... turned 90 degrees. Both towers are on the south side of the tracks.)

At CR 17 (near MP415) the eastbound walkway has been over the tracks with no signals for a few weeks. This week the westbound signal tower was installed and the walkway has been delivered (without signals) to the far side of the tracks.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Here are some photos I took last Saturday.
This is near the Elkhart County Rd. 17 overpass:
cr17.jpg
CP 414
cr17.jpg
CP 415
cr17.jpg
Attachments
cp415.jpg
cp414.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

These photos are from near CP 417.
The first two are from Elkhart Co. Rd. 13.
cr13.jpg
cr13b.jpg
CP 417
Old signals and new signal towers.
Old signals and new signal towers.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

They were out working all over today, including the 419 intermediate, which has signal bridge parts near it now, it too is going.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

MQT3001 wrote:So limited is flashing lights, but does it require three heads or can they be done with two?

Other option here is, you need a slow signal onto the Marion, but once you're off, you can take a medium signal but you're still stuck with 10 mph until your train takes the curve.

I'm not quite sure how the new signals are being setup, but that could also be the case?
curve speeds being upgraded to 20 in a couple weeks.
Closing of 9th street and washington streets will be a part of the curve reailgnment too. So dont go get trapped in there unless you want to!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

rob46580 wrote:They were out working all over today, including the 419 intermediate, which has signal bridge parts near it now, it too is going.
I saw a crew working at CR 13 (the east end of CP 417) on the new signals. Thanks for mentioning 419 ... I did not get that far north today.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

For all of those who spent their afternoon/evening watching the NS NKP Heritage sit on the coach track in Elkhart ... it is still there.
(I don't know if they are waiting for daylight, but NS seems to be routing trains around it.)

I hope you enjoyed and caught the NS Conrail Heritage when it rolled through. (I caught it in Osceola while it was stopped at 4291W.)

The crossing at Meijer (near 415) was blocked for several hours by a train on the siding. NS managed to leave CR 13 and Sunnyside in Dunlap clear.

BTW: The signal for 419 has places for signals for all three tracks. Still "freshly delivered" with no heads installed yet.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

NS 8100 NKP Heritage just left the coach track eastbound ...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

New eastbound signals are in the air at CR 17 (MP 415). 3 lights over 2 lights above all three tracks.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

New westbound signals for 417 were placed in the air on Saturday = "turned to field".
Note that there are no signal heads on the third (top) level ... and no ladders to reach the third level.
Last edited by justalurker66 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Are the new signals at CR 17 the new advanced signals for CP 412 and CP 417. Thanks for all the information since I started this thred last Feb.

GTW

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

GTW wrote:Are the new signals at CR 17 the new advanced signals for CP 412 and CP 417. Thanks for all the information since I started this thred last Feb.
Yes ... they will be the intermediates between CP 412 and CP 417.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

More Saturday work ... the signal heads (and fall prevention on the tower ladder) were installed today on the westbound signals at CR 17.

It looks like NS is preparing to close the Indiana Ave crossing in Goshen again. The crossing has been rough since it was reopened last year. There is heavy equipment north of the tracks. Now that the weather is getting nice I hope we see ballast.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

I hear grumblings the new CPs might be cut over tomorrow.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Just wondering how can they be cut in when there are no crossovers yet at CP 417.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Half of the crossovers at CP 417 have been there since thanksgiving (the four switches on track 2). The other half of the crossovers (two switches on track 1, two switches on the siding) remain staged north of the tracks. Theoretically they could be cut in, but the signals are not ready.

The Westbound signals for CP 417 are still on the ground. The new signal support for 419 has not been moved since delivery. The signals are not ready. Based on the work at CP 479 (Burdick) I'd expect signals to be ready to use before the remaining four switches are installed. (My opinion.)

CP 412 seems to be a better target for tomorrow. Signal crews were out there today working at the crossing. Turning the new signals so they are no longer facing away from the tracks could be done, if the wiring is ready. There were several empty heavy equipment flatbeds in the maintenance yard near CP 415 on Sunday. The type of flatbeds cranes and large diggers are carried on. It may be for the equipment at CP 412. I did not stop there long enough to inventory what was standing by. If something big happens tomorrow I'd bet on CP 412.

The bridge west of CP 412 does not have rails over it. It appears to be the right height to match the other two tracks. I do not expect the new switches at CP 412 to be connected (since there is no place to go) but it could be done. Once the rails are over the bridge and connected to the existing tracks the balast train(s) could be brought in. (Any word of Herzog on the move?)

Both sets of new signals at CR 17 (bridge over NS) are in place and over the tracks. If they are ready to light the old signals at 414 could move west to the CR 17 bridge. That is the only other change that seems close to ready to go live.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CP 412

CR 17 Westbound Signals

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Keep your eyes and ears out. I am told permits were just issued to start.

That may be the most believable, 414, 412, and down at 3

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Blue boards just went up on ATCS at 421,

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Also I forgot, Lake is replacing switch panels at CP19 and CP21 today too.