BIG work coming from Elkhart to Goshen on NS

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

BIG work coming from Elkhart to Goshen on NS

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Between Elkhart and Goshen there is going to be a LOT of work!

CP417 to replace CP421

With the switches removed from 421 the curves will get hyper elevated....

Triple track from MP415 to CP412 eliminating CP415 - so Marion branch trains will not disturb mainline traffic.

$40 million allocated to the project....

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BIG work coming from Elkhart to Goshen on NS

Unread post by railroadchoad »

That is big new, indeed, Gary! Is this work to commence this upcoming construction season or is it long-range planning you are talking about, here?

Does this mean that the trains coming out of the yard and going down the branch are going to be on the third track all the way to Goshen and shouldn't be mixing it up with the other through traffic on the main?
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Cool! I look forward to watching the work progress.

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

railroadchoad wrote:Does this mean that the trains coming out of the yard and going down the branch are going to be on the third track all the way to Goshen and shouldn't be mixing it up with the other through traffic on the main?
Yes, the Marion branch trains are causing too much congestion. Since the money has been allocated I believe this will take place this year.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

At CP 421 how will the superelevation affect the main street crossing? Will they try to flatten out for the road or will there be moguls? The proximity of the Kalamazoo Branch connection seems to point to needing to flatten out before Main St.

How will the Kalamazoo Branch tie in? Currently it connects to Track 2 with a diamond on Track 1. Although I can see where the crossovers on the main line can be removed there will still need to be an interlocking for the Kalamazoo Branch. Also (if I recall correctly) there is a third main that currently runs from CP 421 to CP 426 (separate from the yard tracks).

Also the new track will require a new bridge over the Elkhart River in Goshen (near Indiana Avenue) as well as put a track closer to Martins on the north side of Goshen.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Wow, certainly a major change for those 9 miles of track on the horizon. All this being the case there will be significant changes to the signalling in the Elkhart area from the yard east including the removal of several if not all remaining NYC era signal bridges, and surely the two bracket signals which remain at MP417. Sad to see the history go but great to see the investment. Did the Prairie Avenue underpass get approved finally? The moving of the crossovers from 421 to 417 will eliminate all those curved switches and associated derailments!

I guess I'd expect the super elevated curves to begin just east of Main Street, given the Kalamazoo Branch's crossing with track 2 and the Main Street crossing itself, which is supposed to stay last I knew. The third rail all the way to Goshen will give some great flexibility to the dispatchers on this busy segment and hopefully keep Marion-bound and manifest traffic a bit more clear of the main tracks, keeping them open for unit trains and Amtrak.
Although I can see where the crossovers on the main line can be removed there will still need to be an interlocking for the Kalamazoo Branch. Also (if I recall correctly) there is a third main that currently runs from CP 421 to CP 426 (separate from the yard tracks).
Correct and correct. I'm not sure how they'll engineer the tie in with the Kalamazoo Branch (an prior version into the 90s had a moveable point diamond at Track 1), but 421 should continue to be a control point for this junction and the beginning of the third main from the depot west to the county line (421 to 426).

Looking forward to the progress but happy I've taken so many photos over the years to record a moment in history. Here are a few relating to this project's area:

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

GP30M4216 wrote:Did the Prairie Avenue underpass get approved finally?
The last I heard construction of the overpass was slated to start next year.
http://www.elkhartindiana.org/departmen ... fDD=34-360

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

I believe the triple track mileage deals with the CP trains to and from the Wabash line so they can use the new 3rd rail and alleviate some of the congestion on main 1 & 2.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

May I ask who took the pitcher of the sperry car in this quote?...if you look close the guy in the blue shirt is the driver...That is me when I drove 136. Would like to have permissinn to copy photos for my privet collection? Very nice shots by the way!!! :D

GP30M4216 wrote:Wow, certainly a major change for those 9 miles of track on the horizon. All this being the case there will be significant changes to the signalling in the Elkhart area from the yard east including the removal of several if not all remaining NYC era signal bridges, and surely the two bracket signals which remain at MP417. Sad to see the history go but great to see the investment. Did the Prairie Avenue underpass get approved finally? The moving of the crossovers from 421 to 417 will eliminate all those curved switches and associated derailments!

I guess I'd expect the super elevated curves to begin just east of Main Street, given the Kalamazoo Branch's crossing with track 2 and the Main Street crossing itself, which is supposed to stay last I knew. The third rail all the way to Goshen will give some great flexibility to the dispatchers on this busy segment and hopefully keep Marion-bound and manifest traffic a bit more clear of the main tracks, keeping them open for unit trains and Amtrak.
Although I can see where the crossovers on the main line can be removed there will still need to be an interlocking for the Kalamazoo Branch. Also (if I recall correctly) there is a third main that currently runs from CP 421 to CP 426 (separate from the yard tracks).
Correct and correct. I'm not sure how they'll engineer the tie in with the Kalamazoo Branch (an prior version into the 90s had a moveable point diamond at Track 1), but 421 should continue to be a control point for this junction and the beginning of the third main from the depot west to the county line (421 to 426).

Looking forward to the progress but happy I've taken so many photos over the years to record a moment in history. Here are a few relating to this project's area:

THANKS M. SHIREY

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

rwas wrote:I believe the triple track mileage deals with the CP trains to and from the Wabash line so they can use the new 3rd rail and alleviate some of the congestion on main 1 & 2.

It has more to do with the branch trains as originally posted.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Does Sperry still have these cars in service? Seems all I see are the Hyrail trucks.

60Tonner

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

As far as I know they use both types of cars and hi-rail trucks.. :D
THANKS M. SHIREY

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Well there haven't been any filings with the FRA for signal modifications at Elkhart or Goshen that I can find.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

:mrgreen: BEWARE!!! This could be an early April Fools joke! $40 million doesn't seem near enough for this project considering another bridge would have to be built for the third track over the Elkhart River in Goshen, all the extra third main track, crossovers, switches and new signaling. And elevated curves at M.P. 421? No need for these when you have speed restrictions either direction from the Amtrak station with yard limits. Elevated curves are for passenger trains at speed. Berkmeister

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

berkmeister wrote:$40 million doesn't seem near enough for this project considering another bridge would have to be built for the third track over the Elkhart River in Goshen,
Isn't the bridge at Goshen already wide enough for 3 tracks? http://binged.it/YtPYab
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

~Z~ wrote:
berkmeister wrote:$40 million doesn't seem near enough for this project considering another bridge would have to be built for the third track over the Elkhart River in Goshen,
Isn't the bridge at Goshen already wide enough for 3 tracks? http://binged.it/YtPYab

Looks like it's ready to me.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

StupidFlee​t wrote:
~Z~ wrote:

Looks like it's ready to me.
If it's old enough it should be graded for 4 tracks which it appears to be.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

cbehr91 wrote:If it's old enough it should be graded for 4 tracks which it appears to be.
They're saving the 4th for those 200 trains a day I've predicted :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

the bridge at 412.72 was in the tippled tracked and ran almost or all the way to the current CP 415.( have it someplace in an old Conrail map)The idea of a super elevated curve in down town Elkhart through the plant at 421 seems far fetched at best because as of now its a permanent speed restriction of 20 MPH. projects that would help would be to do more grade separation programs like Indiana AVE. Though who is gonna pay for something of that nature?
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

canpac08 wrote:the bridge at 412.72 was in the tippled tracked and ran almost or all the way to the current CP 415.( have it someplace in an old Conrail map)The idea of a super elevated curve in down town Elkhart through the plant at 421 seems far fetched at best because as of now its a permanent speed restriction of 20 MPH.
NYC had quad tracks there, IIRC from research. But note in the BING picture (zoom out a step) the pillars north of the current bridge, It looks like the current bridge is only half of what was once there.
canpac08 wrote:projects that would help would be to do more grade separation programs like Indiana AVE. Though who is gonna pay for something of that nature?
As already noted, Prairie St is slated for grade separation beginning next year. Taxpayers will pay for it ... like it or not.

PS: I like it.