IN in waterloo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

IN in waterloo

Unread post by Toppysager »

I am railfanning in the Butler and st. Joe area and was looking to possibly catch the Indiana and northeastern in waterloo or auburn. What is the typical time for IN movements in these cities. Also what are is a good.place to view the trains in waterloo or auburn. Finally its kind of off topic but what is up with all.of these engines on the rear of tankcar trains on the waterlevel route? I've seen 2 "tankcar" trains in a row with engines on the front and back. (Maybe just an odd coincidence)
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: IN in waterloo

Unread post by railohio »

Never, because the Indiana Northeastern doesn't run in those cities.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

INE operates from Montpelier in OH to South Milford in IN. Then from Stubenville in IN to Hillsdale and Coldwater in MI. As RO said, you won't see them in Auburn or Waterloo.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

railohio wrote:Never, because the Indiana Northeastern doesn't run in those cities.
Well the map I have said it came through waterloo but its like 15 years old. What are good times forCanadian pacifics through butler. And I know INs still go through steubenville, in what are good times there

swc
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by swc »

Good place to watch trains in Waterloo is the Amtrak station.As for Auburn not really a good place go west to Garrett CSX has a little yard there and changes crews there on most of there trains,go to the old depot its public property right next to the yard.As far as your tank train question There called DPU and there only on crudeoil trains.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Even a 15 year old map won't show the INER through Waterloo. Times are random for the INER, you just have to find them or know how to get a heads up. Generally no more than 2 trains a day so sitting and waiting is not an option, the locals in Steubenville are also unfriendly hicks so don't linger there unless you want a confrontation.

As for CP trains in Butler the mornings seem to be CP heavy but they are spread throughout the day.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

swc wrote:Good place to watch trains in Waterloo is the Amtrak station.As for Auburn not really a good place go west to Garrett CSX has a little yard there and changes crews there on most of there trains,go to the old depot its public property right next to the yard.As far as your tank train question There called DPU and there only on crudeoil trains.
Yeah its weird how I've only seen engines on the back of tankcar trains twice, and they were in the same week

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

DPUs just started on the oil trains on the Chicago line and there are a few of them a week so it is not surprising that you saw them.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Didn't you already ask about Waterloo railfanning?

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

cbehr91 wrote:Didn't you already ask about Waterloo railfanning?
No sir

INE-KP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by INE-KP »

FYI - loading grain in Edon Saturday Morning til around noon then to Montpelier

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

I am going to cut the original poster a little slack here. If he was looking at an old map that showed existing lines as well as lines which have been pulled up he may have been confused. He may have not noticed that the line that IN runs south from Michigan through Angola no longer goes any further south than Steubenville. It used to go through Waterloo and Auburn on its way to Fort Wayne but hasn't done so since the '70s, at least. If that is the case, it was an honest mistake and one that might be easy to make if one isn't familiar with the area.

Indeed, Google is your friend and much can be learned if you know the right search criteria. The Indiana Northeastern has a great website that includes a system map and much can be learned from it.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!