Gibson City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Gibson City

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Can you give me any info about railfanning there

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Gibson City

Unread post by redside20 »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Can you give me any info about railfanning there
Once home to three trunklines of the Wabash, Nickel Plate and Illinois Central..Today you can expect to see the shortline "Bloomer Line" around town or out in the surrounding area hostling up a grain train. And you can always catch sporadic CN traffic and NS trackage rights trains at any time on the Gilman-Springfield Line..
Exit stage left

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

redside20 wrote:
Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Can you give me any info about railfanning there
Once home to three trunklines of the Wabash, Nickel Plate and Illinois Central..Today you can expect to see the shortline "Bloomer Line" around town or out in the surrounding area hostling up a grain train. And you can always catch sporadic CN traffic and NS trackage rights trains at any time on the Gilman-Springfield Line..
Theres a daily NS local north, one south, misc. Grain trains. and a road train north to chicago using the CN and one south. Not sure what the CN runs

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Should be an NS local and two road trains, a CN local, and whatever the Bloomer runs.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

To elaborate on what others have already mentioned...

Bloomer Line will run as needed; their locomotive shops are in town. NS, you'll have 278 northbound and 317 southbound in the AM, these trains use CN north of Gibson City to Chicago. D32 northbound in the mid-late afternoon, this is the Decatur-Good Yard local; it's counterpart, D36 runs Good Yard-Decatur southbound at night. Grain trains on NS run as needed to either Bloomer or any of the elevators along the line. Not as familiar with CN in GC, I'd be curious as to their operations as well. I've never seen anything on the line, but have only heard the local coming northeast into Gilman from Farmer City, Clinton and beyond.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

The CN local is the L554, it's turn out of Clinton running up to Gilman and back, daytime. Used be M-F, although rumor has it that its counterpart from Clinton to Springfield is down to M/W/F, so it might be on a similar thrice weekly scheduling.