Durand Sunday morning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Durand Sunday morning

Unread post by Norm »

Be prepared for a lot more CN police surveillance in the near future.

I made it to Durand this morning. CN was actually running trains much to my surprise. That was cool, but there were people actually parked on the ROW at the Main Street crossing with camera tripods set up too close to the tracks. Some others were seen on RR property north of the depot. I also saw a couple of fans standing on signal boxes in the yard taking photos. These were likely out of state folks who either don't know or care if they are trespassing, and what the consequences may be.

One lone CN cop was trying to keep a handle on all of this, and I'm sure he had his hands full. CN, or the City of Durand had put up orange snow fencing east of the depot, but some people simply knocked it down. That is going to accomplish nothing but give a black eye to the regulars who railfan Durand. Be prepared to be hassled by CN cops in the near future. It's a shame they acted that way, but we locals will likely be under surveillance for a time.
Norm

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Durand Sunday morning

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I noticed the same things when I was there Friday and yesterday, Norm. A couple of people had walked right up to the diamond on the northwest side of the tracks, and there were people standing all over the ROW. I told a few of the people that the CN cops aren't to be messed with (I've heard some horror stories, but my experiences with them have been fairly good), and they just laughed. Most of the lisence plates in the parking lot were from out west. I don't know if they're more relaxed over there or what, but it's a different world over here, especially on the CN.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

i noticed quite a few Georgia, Florida, Virginia license plates. Also quite a few from the left coast who think that the trespassing laws don't apply to them. Sorry guys this is Durand Michigan not Cajon Pass or Dunsmuir (spelling)
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

That is going to accomplish nothing but give a black eye to the regulars who railfan Durand. Be prepared to be hassled by CN cops in the near future.
I hope the police can tell the difference between the foamers attrracted to this once in a life time event and the regular railfans who attend Durand.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If you stay off the ROW and use some common sense youll be fine.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Don Simon wrote:
T]
I hope the police can tell the difference between the foamers attrracted to this once in a life time event and the regular railfans who attend Durand.
Me too Don. I would hate to think we would be hassled when we are on the platform.
Norm

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

GTW6401 wrote:If you stay off the ROW and use some common sense youll be fine.
GTW,

Some of those people were not using common sense.
Norm

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

redside20 wrote:i noticed quite a few Georgia, Florida, Virginia license plates. Also quite a few from the left coast who think that the trespassing laws don't apply to them. Sorry guys this is Durand Michigan not Cajon Pass or Dunsmuir (spelling)

Try tresspassing at Cajon. It will make the encounters with the CN cops look like you were dealing with the local explorer club. Ever since the runaway about 10 years ago or so, the BN/UP cops do not mess around out there.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Norm wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:If you stay off the ROW and use some common sense youll be fine.
GTW,

Some of those people were not using common sense.
Norm, you got that right. Every time i was there at least two or three railfans would set up on the ballast on the northwest corner of the diamond. they were then promptly asked to move by cn police. We actually had a conversation with CN policeman at the depot, he was a very nice guy and had alot of interesting things to say. He said they were increasing security just for the weekend of the trainfest and beyond a for a few days
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I wouldn't want a railroad police job. I'd have a very hard time telling a local resident in Durand who has taken a short cut acorss the tracks for all their life that I'll have to ticket them if they do it again.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

elliot98SS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by elliot98SS »

Sunday night after 8:00 I was in Durand for a few minutes. Two of the guys in our group had never seen the depot, it is a must see piece of Michigan history. Roughly five people were photographing in the north west corner of the diamond and one person was just roaming all around that area, on CN property. So do any of you guys ever say anything to these people? I almost did, but I didn't want to create some scene.

I don't go to Durand on a regular basis but it is a darn fine spot to take photos. It is legal, safe and provided to the public for free. People who do trespass in the manor that we all witnessed probably do this where ever they go. I don't really see the reason to go do that, a nice place is provided for people. I would hate to see the location become off limits because of some foamers.

--Elliot
--Elliot
visit me on e bay, seller list wnovess99

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

I heard a CN crew call someone standing on the tracks taking photos in to the police. For the rest of the evening, Durand cops aggressively patrolled the area. I didnt see any CN cops patrolling the area any of the days I was around the depot, but Durand cops were out in force.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway