Fingerle Lumber

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Fingerle Lumber

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I heard an advertisement on the radio a couple days ago for Fingerle Lumber (In Ann Arbor on the AA). They said they have great prices because they buy by the "railroad car load and truck load". I've heard they haven't gotten a switch in at least a year or two...hopefully this is a newly created advertisement indicating its still considered an option!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Fingerle Lumber

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Ben Higdon wrote:I heard an advertisement on the radio a couple days ago for Fingerle Lumber (In Ann Arbor on the AA). They said they have great prices because they buy by the "railroad car load and truck load". I've heard they haven't gotten a switch in at least a year or two...hopefully this is a newly created advertisement indicating its still considered an option!
For most lumber yards its not a question of it THEY want service, but rather if their lumber SUPPLIER has service. If their supplier isn't on a rail line, it makes it difficult for them to get their lumber in by rail. There is a lumber yard in Terre Haute, IN that would love to get rail service, as its considerably cheaper. Their hands are tied because their lumber supplier does not have rail service. I guess they feel the hassle of trying to find a new supplier out weighs the benefits from getting rail service.

Practice Safe CSX

azimmer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by azimmer »

A lumber yard does not need to have a direct link to a rail line to benefit from the lower costs of rail transport. They can pick up their shipments at a rail distribution center.

Canadian National operates a lumber distibution center at Nolan yard which is on the Mt. Clemens sub at Eight Mile Road. Trains bring in rail cars of various lumber products and local suppliers just retrieve their orders by truck.

So the advertising need not be false.

AZ

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Canadian National operates a lumber distibution center at Nolan yard which is on the Mt. Clemens sub at Eight Mile Road. Trains bring in rail cars of various lumber products and local suppliers just retrieve their orders by truck.
I don't know what traffic is like here now but in the 1990's they were receiving about 1,700 cars a year. That's not a misprint, 1,700. 30-35 cars a week. Pretty awesome!!!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

It's really sad to see the loss of traffic in the Ann Arbor area.

I grew up in AA in the early 1980's before moving to Pinckney.

My dad and I often would go to Ferry Yard and watch the AA work the area from the Yard. They would go north to switch Whitmore Lake (now demolished Hoover, then Woodbridge plant). They would be working Fingerle on an almost daily basis. There was a team track on Plymouth Road just past Barton Dr that had a regular switch, plus an place just north of that that was once a shipper as well. I'm not sure if Rhe-Tec was open then or not.

Going south they had a large presence at the Saline Ford plant, including keeping power stored at the plant for a period of time.

Between Diann to the south and Whitmore Lake to the North the AA had plenty of business to keep Ferry Yard operating. That all changed with the State of Michigan and Michigan Interstate fighting over payments and stuff like that.

The AA working north of the yard, and that work went to TSBY. About the same time the team track was removed and Finglerle seemed to start getting less rail service. All of that combined to lead to the closing of Ferry Yard and the removal of the switches on all but the one siding.

The yard tracks themselves all are still in place however (at least the last time I was in the yard they were).

At the same time there was still a customer on Conrail (small scrap yard near the AA Huron River Bridge. The Conrail "Yard" wasn't in use but was still present and Conrail was double track.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

chapmaja wrote:It's really sad to see the loss of traffic in the Ann Arbor area.

I grew up in AA in the early 1980's before moving to Pinckney.

My dad and I often would go to Ferry Yard and watch the AA work the area from the Yard. They would go north to switch Whitmore Lake (now demolished Hoover, then Woodbridge plant). They would be working Fingerle on an almost daily basis. There was a team track on Plymouth Road just past Barton Dr that had a regular switch, plus an place just north of that that was once a shipper as well. I'm not sure if Rhe-Tec was open then or not.

Going south they had a large presence at the Saline Ford plant, including keeping power stored at the plant for a period of time.

Between Diann to the south and Whitmore Lake to the North the AA had plenty of business to keep Ferry Yard operating. That all changed with the State of Michigan and Michigan Interstate fighting over payments and stuff like that.

The AA working north of the yard, and that work went to TSBY. About the same time the team track was removed and Finglerle seemed to start getting less rail service. All of that combined to lead to the closing of Ferry Yard and the removal of the switches on all but the one siding.

The yard tracks themselves all are still in place however (at least the last time I was in the yard they were).

At the same time there was still a customer on Conrail (small scrap yard near the AA Huron River Bridge. The Conrail "Yard" wasn't in use but was still present and Conrail was double track.
Jim, same you too, I was moved on outside of Ann Arbor in 1966 from Clarkston.
You said, small scrap yard, yes, ex-Lansky Metal Scrap Yard was (now New Center property) next siding from interchange and MCRR, NYC, PC 60' turntable close to AARR Huron River bridge and N. Main St. Turntable removed about around 70' era by Conrail.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

MCRR/AARR Huron River Bridge

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:
You said, small scrap yard, yes, ex-Lansky Metal Scrap Yard was (now New Center property) next siding from interchange and MCRR, NYC, PC 60' turntable close to AARR Huron River bridge and N. Main St. Turntable removed about around 70' era by Conrail.
MCRR but no AARR Bridges
http://www.aadl.org/gallery/aastreets/b ... t.jpg.html

MCRR gallow turntable - AARR wood trestle bridge
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/B ... restle.htm
http://www.willett.org/michiganhistory/annarbor.htm

MCRR turntable/AARR Huron River metal bridge
http://www.aadl.org/gallery/aastreets/b ... e.jpg.html
http://www.artsofcitizenship.umich.edu/ ... es/x96.jpg

AARR-Argo Dam
http://www.aadl.org/gallery/aastreets/b ... 5.jpg.html
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Isn't there also a lumber trans load over at Flat Rock Yard?
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Isn't there also a lumber trans load over at Flat Rock Yard?
Yes, CN built one on the south side of Vreeland Rd where there used to be stub end yard tracks filled with cars destined for scrap. Flat Rock Bagging also has an operation near here but I don't know if this location gets rail service anymore like the Sparta location does.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Fingerle getting cars? ill believe it when i see it...... :?

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Fingerle getting cars? ill believe it when i see it...... :?
Yeah- 100% agree. As people from Misourri say: SHOW ME!!!!!!!