Chaple Hill Coach

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Rusty Shackelford
Railroadfan...fan

Chaple Hill Coach

Unread post by Rusty Shackelford »

Charlie and I followed the train from Owosso to Petoskey, and what a drive that was. The train left owosso around 9am and arrived Cadilliac about 1 or 1:30pm. Though we had to stop and refuel a couple of times we still managed to keep pace with the train. The old VW bus a 1969 camper really is the way to rail chase. Had a little trouble around Boyne becouse of a KID ROCK concert, but we still made great time. Arrived in Petoskey about 5:30 and met the train at Sheridan st, then followed them to Michigan st. Charlie managed to talk to the crew [seems there was more then one on duty?] and we where invited to tour the car!!! This elderly gent who`s name I think is tom said he seen us follow all the way from Owosso, said in his own words" YOU FOMERS EARNED AT LEAST A PEAK INSIDE". That was so cool, the car is absolutly beautiful in side. We may follow the return trip go up on Friday, and follow it back on Saturday. Till next time KEEP IT ON THE SHINEY SIDE!!!!!!!!!

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: Chaple Hill Coach

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

It had to be about 12 years ago now, (because its been ten years since I retired) while in my work vehicle, I found the Chapel Hill car on the Ann Pere transfer track as it was waiting for TSB to pick it up, for what ever reason I can not recall. There was an old gent on it then as well, if its the same guy, who offered me a tour of the car too. He was having trouble with the large battery that supplied electic to the car, and wound up giving me money (brave soul, even if I was in a company vehicle) to go to an auto parts store to get one for him. He was so grateful that I got him one, he called me on his cell phone (I gave him my number) the day they were leaving Owosso to come back to Ann Pere to ask If I could get there, I could ride with him on the southbound trip. Bummer, but I couldn't make it. Somewhere around the house, I have his business card. If its the same guy, he must really be getting up in age now.
Last edited by BL2-1843 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The owner is not on the car in Petoskey.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

the Owner of the Chapel Hill is DeWitt Chapple and resides in Middletown Ohio. his car was on the New River Train last fall and will be this fall.
Exit stage left

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

The fellow 12 years ago that gave me money to get a battery for Chapel Hill was not the owner but was hired by the owner to travel with the car when enroute from place to place. It was his "full time job" to stay with the car.

Charlie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Charlie »

Hey Rusty that sure was a great ride you got, I hope it works out for Friday night maybe we can follow the GLC north Friday, just an idea hopefully Tom will be on board again, Iam going to try and bring my new camara this time, speaking of GLC, I had a run up towards Cadillac, I had to change out the porta johns along the construction sites on 127 and 131 up in Cadillac and low and behold I caught the GLC coming across 131 in downtown Cadillac, man they had about 45 sand hoppers, sounded great with them rolling into town about 1am, I didnt think they ran that late up here, well any way, guess tonite Iam heading over to GR maybe I can catch some CSX action at plaster creek on my break