Cab Video: Amtrak 353 Hannan Rd collision

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Cab Video: Amtrak 353 Hannan Rd collision

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thats not cool. Thanks for the link.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Gregg Pullano wrote:From an informed source...not everyone in the car died immediately. I will not take that information further, so don't even ask. Just verying that Chris may be correct.

The news report from the Canton Police that is used for the Detroit News article states "All five were killed instantly."

Based on the reaction of the train employee that came down and looked at the scene in front of the train, I don't think he saw any sign of life either.

If anyone had survived the intial impact I would suspect it was the young lady in the driver side back seat because she was farthest away from the impact.

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Yup. Thats the way it happens folks. Impatience kills. Been there, done that.
Bill

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Oh boy, I love how you can't say the word "crap" or show a boob on tv but you can show a video of 5 people being demolished by a train. Whooooray for the FCC
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

No blood and guts, Mike. If it was graphic it wouldn't be shown. Unfortunately, every other curse word except crap (well almost every one) is allowed.

Listen guys, I've done some dumb things in my days and but for the grace of God am still here. And while I haven't tried to beat a train to a crossing (I always slow down to watch :) I've not paid attention trying to drive and watch a train and could have caused an accident.

I'm sympathetic to the train crew, as most of you are. I don't know how I'd react if I killed someone, even if it were accidental. I'm told that almost every train crew who operates on the road will be involved in a car/pedistrian accident at some time in their career. Any truth to that? If it is what a horrible thing to look forward to :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

When we hired in at the mighty CSX, they told us during our first day that we had a 100% chance of being involve in a fatality. The few that work they're career without one are definatly the lucky ones. Not good odds.
Bill

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

It also depends on the type of train as well as location. A high speed Amtrak train going through a city, what happened in this case, has a far higher chance of hitting something then a slow moving local train in fields. In most cases like this with a high speed train a pedestrian/motorist thinks they can beat the train and under estimates it's speed. But even with a slower moving train accidents do happen. One time when I was in Battle Creek, Amtrak was pulling out of the station and I saw a pedestrian with a cart, which she was pushing, over track number two. The train happened to be on track number one. As the train approached(very slowly) this pedestrian kept on having trouble getting her cart over the tracks and kept on having to walk backward and try to get more speed to cross each rail. When finally she had crossed over track number 2 the train was still approaching her and getting closer. I was thinking in my mind "I am sure she is going to stop now" but she continued on in front of the train. After having problems getting over the 2nd rail on track number 1 I thought to my elf again and you reassure myself "I am sure she is just going to back off the tracks and wait for the train but of course she didn't and at this point the engineer put the train into emergency, if it was not for the train stopping(it was going 5 mph) the train would have run right over this person. After the train crew did a break test the train was back on it's way.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

My first trip out as a qualified conductor we got a pickup truck- trailer combo south of Mt Pleasant. Nobody hurt but I didn't find that out until I made the walk back to the crossing. Trust me it was long walk even though we were engine lite :cry: . My last scheduled trip with LCRT, someone took my place as conductor the day the car t-boned them with fatalities. All their excursions, my trip was the only one actually hitting the vehicle. They were hit several times, the only fatalities were on their last trip.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

What surprised me most about that video, is how suddenly the car appears, with absolutely no warning. The screen capture shows a front seat passenger with his arm resting on the window ledge, and the window apparently open. They had to hear the train horn, unless they had a very loud radio.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

They had to hear the train horn, unless they had a very loud radio.
IMHO, loud music is nearly as dangerous as cel phones, eating in vehicles, or applyuing make up while driving :!:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

the best one i've seen, this was during the CHESSIE days, at glendale ohio(north of cincinnati), this is were the the hold out signal is located for queensgate yard, a southbound was pulling down to stop at this signal, a funeral persetion was approaching the crossing, the lead motorcycyle cop pulled to, and stopped right on the crossing and held up his hand for the train to stop, now this cop is going through life thinking "i stopped that train", wait until the next , the train might have a clear signal.....and BAM

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

This explains a bit more about the crash. The kid drove around an suv waiting at the crossing. He had a suspended licence aswell.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/20004439/detail.html
Mark it Zero.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Don Simon wrote:
They had to hear the train horn, unless they had a very loud radio.
IMHO, loud music is nearly as dangerous as cel phones, eating in vehicles, or applyuing make up while driving :!:
Agreed.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

elliot98SS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by elliot98SS »

Just saw on news 3 at 5:50 tonight, breaking news. Another Amtrak/car accident near Battle Creek.
--Elliot
visit me on e bay, seller list wnovess99

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds like in this one the driver might make it.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Any detail's? Where and What happened?
Mark it Zero.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/arti ... elmer+Road

"An eastbound Amtrak passenger train struck a car at the Helmer Road rail crossing about 4:45 p.m. today.

Emergency crews have shut down Helmer Road at the crossing while they deal with the situation.

An 81-year-old Battle Creek woman was being transported to Battle Creek Health System from the scene.

While the front of the car was demolished, the passenger compartment was not heavily damaged.

The Amtrak engine was disabled by the collision, Battle Creek police said, and the train sat on the tracks a quarter-mile east of Helmer Road while a replacement engine was procured.

There were no apparent injuries aboard the train, the Wolverine, bound from Chicago to Pontiac.

Emergency crews shut down Helmer Road at the crossing while they dealt with the crash aftermath."

Sounds like the 352.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I doubt that anyone here on this board will EVER get in the way of a train. (notice I didn't say "hit by train" like most media does, like the train swerved into the autos path or something). One thing I think we all have in common. We always approach a crossing as slow as possible (without creating a traffic hazard), just to get a good look up and down the tracks to see if there is a train coming. Am I right? By the way, I think this footage should be shown to ALL drivers education students.

Todd

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The Amtrak engine was disabled by the collision, Battle Creek police said, and the train sat on the tracks a quarter-mile east of Helmer Road while a replacement engine was procured.
What was she driving? A tank?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

elliot98SS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by elliot98SS »

After impact the vehicle could have spun around and damaged the fuel tank? I know a certain someone on this board that had that happen to him lol

When I was in 3rd grade Conrail came to our school with a Operation Lifesaver presentation. I won a lantern...
--Elliot
visit me on e bay, seller list wnovess99