Spur on Wabash

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Spur on Wabash

Unread post by Shorthaul »

I noticed there was a spur that breaks off of the former Wabash/NS detroit district between Belleville and Milan. It is clearly visible on google maps. It breaks off between the Martz and Bemis road crossings. There appears to be two customers on the line, one with covered hoppers and a few tankers, and another that appeared to have cars inside their building. What are these customers, and what train serves them?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: Spur on Wabash

Unread post by CAT345C »

Sounds like the Rawsonville Branch. Ford is at the end of it. I believe the local that goes there is L44? or H44? they usually have a NW caboose for shoving, and occasonally a high hood ns geep or a conrail geep.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Interesting spur at the end of the line..while most of it goes to what Mike mentioned is Ford, look at this section that just ends out in the woods just north of it: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1&t=k&z=19
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I asked about that section before. The area that is in is fenced off with N&W no treaspassing signs its a fairly large area. ITC the high voltage power line company now has a yard in the south east corner of the property. I think the post was on dales site before i got banned for taking care of some personal business

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

No Ford traffic that I know of. There's a rail to truck reload yard and at one time recently a G-P lumber yard that I believe is closed now. There may be one other business too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

bnsfMAN93 wrote:I noticed there was a spur that breaks off of the former Wabash/NS detroit district between Belleville and Milan. It is clearly visible on google maps. It breaks off between the Martz and Bemis road crossings. There appears to be two customers on the line, one with covered hoppers and a few tankers, and another that appeared to have cars inside their building. What are these customers, and what train serves them?
1. Bulkmatic Transport Co. http://www.bulkmatic.com/ next to Rawsonville Ford (abandoned McKean Rd RR) in Ypsilanti
2. lumber co - closed
3. Old N&W still hold property and still N&W signs "No Trespass on Property" (still rails on but Textile Rd RR abandoned) and spur rail abandoned other company.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote: 1. Bulkmatic Transport Co. http://www.bulkmatic.com/ next to Rawsonville Ford (abandoned McKean Rd RR) in Ypsilanti
2. lumber co - closed
3. Old N&W still hold property and still N&W signs "No Trespass on Property" (still rails on but Textile Rd RR abandoned) and spur rail abandoned other company.
I hear the Bulkmatic place is pretty busy and gets switched daily.
The G-P lumber yard replaced their old one off Ford Rd in Dearborn/Westland. It was built in late 1990's and closed after 8 years or so. Whatever the dates it was open for it was not very long.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

L64 is the local that goes down there.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

JustinB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JustinB »

no its L63 that switches rawsonville, l64 goes to milan

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

I always get those two confused.... :oops: :oops:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

According to a few people I know that used to work for the N&W and latter NS, there were plans at one time to extended the Rawsonville Spurr to the old GM Hydra-Matic plant. The N&W and later on NS, approached MDOT about building a bridge over I-94 to extend the line further north so they could connect up with Conrail's Willow Run Yard. However, this plan was shot down by MDOT, and there was strong opposition from the residents on Bradley Street and the low-income, government subsidized housing complex Liberty Square, which is on the north side of Grove Road. However, it would have been interesting to see how this spurr would have been used had MDOT of given them permission to go ahead with this proposed rail project.
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

NYC3001 wrote:According to a few people I know that used to work for the N&W and latter NS, there were plans at one time to extended the Rawsonville Spurr to the old GM Hydra-Matic plant. The N&W and later on NS, approached MDOT about building a bridge over I-94 to extend the line further north so they could connect up with Conrail's Willow Run Yard. However, this plan was shot down by MDOT, and there was strong opposition from the residents on Bradley Street and the low-income, government subsidized housing complex Liberty Square, which is on the north side of Grove Road. However, it would have been interesting to see how this spurr would have been used had MDOT of given them permission to go ahead with this proposed rail project.
Why did NS propose this? I don't see the benefit :?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Since he said N&W I'm going to assume it was a while ago when things were good in that area. A track into Willow run could provide a back up route to detroit, access to the Airport for UPS, and GM. There seems to be a lot of targetable industry in the GM complex and the airport by itself, today most of it is abandoned, and KYIP doesn't really see as much as it could, but back in the day I'm sure it would have been very beneficial. Have you ever driven into the area don? There a stub tracks all over the place in there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SMRGUY wrote:Since he said N&W I'm going to assume it was a while ago when things were good in that area. A track into Willow run could provide a back up route to detroit, access to the Airport for UPS, and GM. There seems to be a lot of targetable industry in the GM complex and the airport by itself, today most of it is abandoned, and KYIP doesn't really see as much as it could, but back in the day I'm sure it would have been very beneficial. Have you ever driven into the area don? There a stub tracks all over the place in there.
Ok, that was proposed in the CR days. So that would have provided NW direct competition for the business out of Willow Run. Got it - that makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Don Simon wrote: Why did NS propose this? I don't see the benefit :?
This started in 1972, when GM approached the N&W about serving their two plants at Willow Run. Apparently, GM was less than satisfied their poor quality of service they were receiving from Penn Central at that time. The N&W came in and did a feasibility study of the area, and concluded it would be beneficial for them to serve both the Hydra-Matic Transmission factory, and Willow Run Assembly Plant.

The N&W applied to Michigan State Highway Commission (Now MDOT), and was refused on the grounds the proposed bridge was too close to the Rawsonville exit. Likewise, the homeowners on Bradley Street also mounted a grass-roots campaign to block this project. The N&W appealed and submitted a modified plan, which was also rejected a few years later on.

Norfolk Southern once again put the idea forward in 1983, but with the modification of moving the bridge further west. This plan called for running the bridge along the east side of McGregor Road, both north and south of I-94. General Motors loved the idea of having two competing railroad companies. However, as you might have expected, MDOT and Ypsilanti Township said no to this idea as well. Since then, the plan has never been brought up again to the best of my knowledge.
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

And now all the old trackage is GONE. The track was still inplace until the late 90's early 2000's. However, NS decided to turn Willow Run into a TOFC (Triple Crown) Operation which only lasted a year? or so. Mike and I spent a few lunch periods from MIAT driving around the NS Lot and the Old GM Plant. The only that remains is the wye which extends south only 1000ft or so. There are a few crossing bucks also in place and you can see where the ROW was into the plant. Other than that, nothing remains.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

NS still uses the willow run yard to store autoracks. it seems they get ing there every once in a while to switch them out.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

NYC3001 wrote:
Don Simon wrote: Why did NS propose this? I don't see the benefit :?
This started in 1972, when GM approached the N&W about serving their two plants at Willow Run. Apparently, GM was less than satisfied their poor quality of service they were receiving from Penn Central at that time. The N&W came in and did a feasibility study of the area, and concluded it would be beneficial for them to serve both the Hydra-Matic Transmission factory, and Willow Run Assembly Plant.
Do not blame N&W, they has not been never entering in Michigan Lines, Willow Run GM Plants properties and Ypsilanti Ford Plant. Conrail took over PC in 1972 until 1999, CR sold NS for Michigan Lines... :|

In 1963, Wabash RR merged N&W took over “Detroit District Lines” in 1964. They was served at Rawsonville Ford Plant until NS stopped served them. McKean Rd RR Crossing abandoned. However, NS has still service on Bulkmatic Transport rail yards.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

TrainWatcher wrote:And now all the old trackage is GONE. The track was still inplace until the late 90's early 2000's. However, NS decided to turn Willow Run into a TOFC (Triple Crown) Operation which only lasted a year? or so. Mike and I spent a few lunch periods from MIAT driving around the NS Lot and the Old GM Plant. The only that remains is the wye which extends south only 1000ft or so. There are a few crossing bucks also in place and you can see where the ROW was into the plant. Other than that, nothing remains.

Didn't you pay attention to the old tracks I showed you? the actual tracks in the GM plant are gone from the wye to a cantilever crossing, then parts are still there, and right where the Tripple Crown yard entrance is on the main strip there is clearly tracks accross the street, several that went along and into the building, then more on the other side.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Oh yea, sorry. Man thats was 2 years ago.. cut me a brake... :D