CSX Locomotive Retirements

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

CSX Locomotive Retirements

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Its official, all 3 remaining B30-7 and 20 B36-7 locomotives have been placed in storage for upcoming retirement. Perhaps even as early as the end of the year, all should be removed from the roster, much to delight of CSX empoyees who disliked them, and to the sadness of the fans who loved them.

Already retired (finally) is GP38-2 2579 which has been sitting at Huntington for over five years after being wrecked in Sarnia Ontario. Another first, is the first MP15T switcher to leave the roster, after 25 years of service. 1220 has been retired in Montgomery Alabama, after an erratic driver slamed into the locomotive causing a derailment and bent frame on this unit. This locomotive was only three months out of the paint shop as well.

And A Merry Christmas to each of you out there on this board. :D

J T
Hates Supper

Re: CSX Locomotive Retirements

Unread post by J T »

I'm on the side of the CSX employees. Get those ugly things off the rails! :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

R u serious JT those are some of my fav units!!!!
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Big Frank wrote:R u serious JT those are some of my fav units!!!!
I had one as a model one when I was a kid...a Chessie B3...of some sort. I hated the bashed-in look to the nose as compared to my cool GP38s. I abused the crap out of that engine...it fell off the table several times...purposely. :lol: They looked just as ugly in real life. Good riddance! :P
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

J T wrote:I'm on the side of the CSX employees. Get those ugly things off the rails! :lol:
Here Here. Those things sucked.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I loved the old GE's CSX has/had. The B30's and B36's were my favorites.
Bottom text.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I used to take the kids down to the end of Judd Street once and a while when they were little. They liked to see the old U23's etc shoving a big cut of cars at night. They'd' shoot flame 4-5 feet or more out the stack :D

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Face it, if they were ALCO Centuries, we would all be sad to see them being retired. However, some of those early GE units weren't so bad, but after a few years on the road, riding in a cement mixer would have been more comfortable. However, for those of us who have photos of them, we did our part to preserve history. :D
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

bnsfMAN93 wrote:
J T wrote:I'm on the side of the CSX employees. Get those ugly things off the rails! :lol:
Do you "railfans" have no appreciation for older, unique power? CSX was the last Class I railroad to operate those models. Would you rather see or photograph an SD70M or GEVO? We all have our opinions but one day when you get sick and tired of seeing SD70Ms, GEVOs, AC4400CW, C40-9Ws, etc, you will wish you'd had better taste while variety was still around.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I agree. Sad to see the older model GE's going out. For those of us who are not Wide cab fans, nothing beats the looks of the B30-7! Last one I saw in the Plymouth area was CSXT 5575? when they were working the Tie Train on the Saginaw Subdivison. Good sound, they were unique.

Not to mention the UBoats were really the workhorses of the Appalachian's for the big Class Onesback in the 80's and into the early to mid 90's.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mr. Tops wrote: Do you "railfans" have no appreciation for older, unique power? CSX was the last Class I railroad to operate those models. Would you rather see or photograph an SD70M or GEVO? We all have our opinions but one day when you get sick and tired of seeing SD70Ms, GEVOs, AC4400CW, C40-9Ws, etc, you will wish you'd had better taste while variety was still around.
Did you read WHY I hate those ugly things, Mr. Railfan? I was tainted at a young age. :lol: I don't care how unique they are...they are UGLY. I only have an issue with the appearance of two types of locomotives...those ugly smash nose B's and ugly high hoods that look like rhinos. :P Give me an SD40-2 ANY day. :D

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

J T wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote: Do you "railfans" have no appreciation for older, unique power? CSX was the last Class I railroad to operate those models. Would you rather see or photograph an SD70M or GEVO? We all have our opinions but one day when you get sick and tired of seeing SD70Ms, GEVOs, AC4400CW, C40-9Ws, etc, you will wish you'd had better taste while variety was still around.
Did you read WHY I hate those ugly things, Mr. Railfan? I was tainted at a young age. :lol: I don't care how unique they are...they are UGLY. I only have an issue with the appearance of two types of locomotives...those ugly smash nose B's and ugly high hoods that look like rhinos. :P Give me an SD40-2 ANY day. :D
I never claimed to be a railfan myself. :twisted: Like I said we all have our opinions it's just too bad we can't all embrace the classics, even if they are ugly. :lol:

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

hold on a second here, if i could chime in on the loathing of our favorite GE models. We must not forget about the classic model of a C39-8 complete with a camelhump of a blower just behind the cab and looked sleek when they traveled long hood forward. Or the futuristic look of an ATSF GP60M complete with off center headlights.
Exit stage left

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Mr. Tops wrote:
bnsfMAN93 wrote:
Do you "railfans" have no appreciation for older, unique power? CSX was the last Class I railroad to operate those models. Would you rather see or photograph an SD70M or GEVO? We all have our opinions but one day when you get sick and tired of seeing SD70Ms, GEVOs, AC4400CW, C40-9Ws, etc, you will wish you'd had better taste while variety was still around.

As a railfan I hate to see them go. As a railroader, they can't leave fast enough.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I used to enjoy hearing the Chessie guys gripe over the scanner back in the late '80's when CSX (temporarly) replaced the Chessie GP40/40-2's on the pig trains on the B&O with the U36/B36-7's. I understand why the crews don't like them (small doors, rough riding, etc.) but they did add a variety. As far as I'm concerned, once the GP30's, SD45/45-2's and the U30C/U36C's/C30-7's left - there isn't a loco on CSX's roster that I'd expend the effort of a chase over...Thank god I went digital - I don't feel guilty wasting a frame on SD40's/SD50's that way - those things are about as interesting as a fence post.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I must say that from a crew standpoint the B and C series locomotives had the BEST bathroom accomidations. No need to bend like a pretzel getting into the nose, just open the door, and walk in. Resetting breakers was a pain because you had to go out on to the long hood and back inside to get to the breaker panel. I spent the better part of 8 hrs sitting on one while on a work train a few years ago. Outside of the bathroom, that was about the only thing 'spacious' on one.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mr. Tops wrote:I never claimed to be a railfan myself. :twisted:
You ARE a railfan. :P
Like I said we all have our opinions it's just too bad we can't all embrace the classics, even if they are ugly. :lol:
Ok, ok...you win. :D

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Those "upcoming" retirements have now occured, even though Umler still shows four B36-7s not yet deleted. Consider them really gone this time. After making 51 repaint changes on my paint roster yesterday, all discovered since mid November, there are now 2,220 YN3 painted locomotives, and "only" 1,790 YN2 units remaining. I say only, because it was only earlier this year when the YN3 painted locomotives overtook the YN2 painted ones. This is already 430 MORE YN3s than YN2s and even more now because these totals to not reflect the just retired B30-7 and B36-7 units.

Also, there are now only 53 rostered locomotives not in CSX paint. 45 Conrail, 5 LMS and 3 NS, plus, now only 36 others in pre YN2/YN3 schemes. Only 89 units away from having an all YN2/YN3 roster, for those who care or pay attention to this sort of thing.

Regarding these new SD50-3 rebuilds CSX is putting out at Huntington now (not just a computer change to downgrade the horsepower) they are also relocating the head light light on those from the Seaboard side of the roster, that were delivered with the headlight in the nose, up to between the numberboards. This would be those in the 8500-8524 group.

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

And I will stir the pot further.

I agree, the B's were ugly things, but I am a bit bummed to see them go because they were so unique.

I dont agree with the "SD40/SD50's being boring as a fencepost" though. Dude, its not 1998 anymore! Granted I dont live on the CSX, and its my favorite Class 1, but I drive all over the place for those things around here. You just dont get SD40-2's or SD50's on the point like you used to, and CSX is a pretty sweet railroad in that department because they still can put together wacky consists. The BNSF is as boring as....well, to take a page from you, a fencepost. CSX definately has the most variety bar none as of now! But if your "wasting frames" on SD40-2's and SD50's, please tell me what more interesting engines your seeing on a daily basis, because it has to be good!

Alec

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I will agree with that. While BNSF has a very eclectic roster, you really only ever see the cool stuff (ie GP39's and the like) on locals or low priority trains. Otherwise it's Dash 9's, Dash 9's, Dash 9's, oh look a GEVO, Dash 9's..... sounds like Norfolk Southern! :P

CSX, while they seem to love putting their Dash 8's and GEVO's on every train, still has a decent number of SD40-2's, SD50's, Geeps and SD60 varients. I'm pretty sure that CSX rosters more SD50's than other other Class 1.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/