hesr derailment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

hesr derailment

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

hesr 800 derailed at mershon about 1pm with a grain train with all furx cov hopp #85--- series
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Re: hesr derailment

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Happened on the wye headed toward Genesee yard. Looks like 5 cars on the side, didnt get too close of a look at the other 3 still in the area. LSRC was busy working on the rail, while it looks like Hulchers equipment is on standby. Im sure they are going to do this based off of a no OT plan like they normally do with LSRC. Wonder how many hoppers they are going to leave lay just like last time. Or maybe they will finally do something with the hopper that is west of the diamond.

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsby_fan »

You know, i thought for sure that that portion of track- the curve headed toward the river & bridge- was just recently rebuilt/repaired/updated only this past year. What caused the derail, has anyone heard?

Al

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

I miss the tower

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

jukeman45 wrote:I miss the tower
its still around it is at the saginaw railway museum at 900 maple st saginaw mi
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I love those new three bay center flow covered hoppers. I think those are 110 tonners.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Those picture reminds me of the CP/SOO train the derailed that I witness leaving Rougemere heading to Canada back in the 90s they put about 7 Covered hoppers on the their side, and all that grain came pouring out.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by danted23 »

I just found the overturned hopper that you were referring to on maps.live.com. How long has it been on its side? They just left it there?

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

danted23 wrote:I just found the overturned hopper that you were referring to on maps.live.com. How long has it been on its side? They just left it there?
I dont remember how long its been laying there, but i seem to remember it at least 3-4 years.

This derailment leads me to a question. This was an HSER train, on what i believe is LSRC rail, since they are the ones doing the track work. Who pays for hulcher, and the lost product? I am assuming its LSRC since the "usual suspects" are on site. LSRC uses a farm out of Birch Run to remove any grain, and they use Hulcher for most derails.

gtw5812
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtw5812 »

Spring 2006
Saginaw Bay Southern "Excellence in Transportation"..and Proud to be a Part of It!!
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-36534

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

JDavis21835 wrote:
danted23 wrote:I just found the overturned hopper that you were referring to on maps.live.com. How long has it been on its side? They just left it there?
I dont remember how long its been laying there, but i seem to remember it at least 3-4 years.

This derailment leads me to a question. This was an HSER train, on what i believe is LSRC rail, since they are the ones doing the track work. Who pays for hulcher, and the lost product? I am assuming its LSRC since the "usual suspects" are on site. LSRC uses a farm out of Birch Run to remove any grain, and they use Hulcher for most derails.
Insurance Company
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

tsby_fan wrote:You know, i thought for sure that that portion of track- the curve headed toward the river & bridge- was just recently rebuilt/repaired/updated only this past year. What caused the derail, has anyone heard?

Al
Hi "tsby fan" I heard from a HESR employee that one of the grain hoppers had a bad flange on one of the trucks. It was worn out. Track structure was good.

Mick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mick »

I gave the west side of the train a roll-by as it headed north out of Genesee Street yard on Wedensday afternoon---and for what it's worth, I didn't see anything unusual then. (I'm not a professional railroader, buy I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night! :wink: )

Mick
"Jump Sim, and save yourself!"
---Casey Jones' last words to fireman Sim Webb

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Well, it looks like the Mershon Diamond will become a graveyard for covered hoppers. Got a chance to do a little wander this afternoon. Rail is back in place. Everything is clear of the tracks. Hulcher has packed up and is gone. Looks to me like these hoppers are not going anywhere anytime soon.

ALCO244
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ALCO244 »

Just for the record, the derailment last week at Mershon in Carrollton, MI was Saginaw Bay Southern, not the HESR. The SBS had picked up the train from the MMRR at Paines and was bringing it through the Mershon interlocker when the derailment happened. The HESR 800 crew was trapped behind the SBS train in Genesee yard. They in turn worked with SBS to tie onto the rear of the train and pull it into Genesee yard to clear crossings.

Hulchers moved the cars away from the track during the night and LSRC/SBS track forces had the track back in service by 1630 New Years Eve day.

AL

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

JDavis21835 wrote:Looks to me like these hoppers are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Maybe it'll prevent anymore cars from tipping all the way over and spilling the load.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

BB wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:Looks to me like these hoppers are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Maybe it'll prevent anymore cars from tipping all the way over and spilling the load.
Good ties, welded rail and pandral clips on that curve would help

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

by jukeman45 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 am

BB wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:
Looks to me like these hoppers are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Wait, what? I thought it was already discussed that the condition of the track had nothing to do with the situation? I'm not getting your point.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC wrote:
by jukeman45 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 am

BB wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:
Looks to me like these hoppers are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Wait, what? I thought it was already discussed that the condition of the track had nothing to do with the situation? I'm not getting your point.
Maybe so, I could care less what caused it.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

ALCO244 wrote:Just for the record, the derailment last week at Mershon in Carrollton, MI was Saginaw Bay Southern, not the HESR. The SBS had picked up the train from the MMRR at Paines and was bringing it through the Mershon interlocker when the derailment happened. The HESR 800 crew was trapped behind the SBS train in Genesee yard. They in turn worked with SBS to tie onto the rear of the train and pull it into Genesee yard to clear crossings.

Hulchers moved the cars away from the track during the night and LSRC/SBS track forces had the track back in service by 1630 New Years Eve day.

AL
That wye was known as the grand rapids wye, I think they still call it that, But the trains for grand rapids are long gone, Febuary of 1981, I remember the last trains to and from GR, my how things have changed, Thanks for that info ALCO244.
Last edited by penn central on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.