RAILROAD RECYCLE

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: RAILROAD RECYCLE

Unread post by CERY »

Would it be possible to get some ladders and a brake wheel?
Semi-retired railroader

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

ns8401 wrote:That first tank car closest to you doesn't look that old..... I assume it was in a wreck, but look at the blue on the axle's on the flatcar. Indicates it had a short life.... :( :(
I thought the same thing. The one was in a fire but the other looks fine. I have no idea why it would be scraped.
Mark it Zero.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Tyler H. wrote:Would it be possible to get some ladders and a brake wheel?
If you went to the scrap yard Im sure you could work somthing out with Pat. They are good guys to deal with at HMS.
Mark it Zero.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

JUST AARON wrote:
ns8401 wrote:That first tank car closest to you doesn't look that old..... I assume it was in a wreck, but look at the blue on the axle's on the flatcar. Indicates it had a short life.... :( :(
I thought the same thing. The one was in a fire but the other looks fine. I have no idea why it would be scraped.
Remember, though...even though the outside may look fine, if the tank was near the fire and not necessarily *in* the fire, the inside liner may have been compromised by the heat. How would you feel about tank with a melted liner hauling ethanol around? :shock: :P

mrconductor55
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrconductor55 »

Bump

Yep D.O.T. is now defunct, they just haven't patched up all of their engines yet. They roster 8 EMD SW's, and according to Chicago crews the 1005 at Kellog is their smallest, oldest, and most reliable. The original owner Don went to jail for "murder for hire" he put a hit on his wife. I believe she sold it. It became CI Rail. Dot was just the holding company,Central Illinois Railway and Central Illinois Rail Link respectively were the subsidarys. The company got sold again following a "Thomas the tank engine-esque" accident involving a trackmobile, some loaded lumber centerbeams, and a 2% grade. They are now owned by Railroad Development or something like that. Most of the fleet (6 of the 8) have been repainted, and have new reporting marks, CIRY Central Illinois Railroad(yes its railroad even though they used RY instead of RR). 5 of the 6 have been painted in a bright blue with a white stripe(conrail without the can opener) scheme. The 1206, the main power for the ex CB&Q Lumber District trackage in Chicago got painted in CB&Q colors. The 1005 and 1209 are the only ones in the dark blue/red scheme.

Oh and yeah they all get plugged in during the winter. When the locomotives were purchased from their previous owners (late 2000) they were rebuilt, with things like ditch lights and whatnot, they all recieved hot start systems too, as they are kept outside.
AARR wrote:
JUST AARON wrote:Hi Don,

All we have at the Battle Creek Kellogg plant is the one DRSX 1005. The switching operation and I beleive engine was owned by a guy or his wife named Don Gibson. They called it D.O.T. I guess he went to jail and the wife sold it. Not sure who owns the operation now. Anyway, CN does all or Most of the Inboud switching here through the Jeamson Ave gate. There is a track connecting to the NS line at Porter street but I cant remember the last time they ever brought any cars in from NS. I see CN in here usually with GTW power, I think its part of 521's dutys. The little guy 1005 gets shut down every morning when Charly is done switching and pluged in for the Oil Heater.

Your right, I should have said block heater.

After thinking about it, I have seen NS drag some cars out of here some time back. Im guessing its an as needed basis.
Wow, I went by Kellogg's about a year ago and NS had all the Kellogg's business. Now, you say CN has it :? I'm glad they do but man things change quickly these days :o

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Hey, Thank you for the info. Sounds like I need to get some photos of the 1005 before it gets painted. WAIT, That would take money.
Mark it Zero.

mrconductor55
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrconductor55 »

Eh Something tells me she'll be alright for a while, most of the units that were repainted (2 years ago now) were at some point stationed in Chicago, and were covered in graffiti. 1005 lucked out when it was stationed in Chicago in the early 2000's. If they do any repainting anytime soon (I'm sure they will) They'll be doing the 1209 in CB&Q colors to match the 1206 (fingers crossed)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Just as a update from the post above 1209 was repainted into a blue and orange color. Also found this today on RRPicturearchives. KELX box that is ex brown GTW box.

http://cachman.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=2114817
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!