Bad Axe Local?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Bad Axe Local?

Unread post by jukeman45 »

How often do they go to Monitor sugar?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Bad Axe Local?

Unread post by AARR »

jukeman45 wrote:How often do they go to Monitor sugar?
Do you mean Michigan Sugar plant in Croswell? Or Michigan Sugar transloads in Deckerville/Ruth?
I believe the go to Croswell twice a week during beet production season 9about 5 months long) and once a week inbetween seasons.

I believe they pick up sugar beets during harvest at Deckerville and Ruth 3-5x per week. I heard they thought they might get 1,500 cars of sugar beets this year which would be delivered to the Bay City plant.
Last edited by AARR on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Croswell, Is the average speed 10MPH and flagged crossings?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jukeman45 wrote:Croswell, Is the average speed 10MPH and flagged crossings?
Don't know about flagged crossings but I thought they had rehabbed the line for 25mph. Someone who knows better than I will have to confirm it. I think one of their runs is usually on Sundays and they'll make another trip on Thursday during production season.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

I was up there yesterday and all was quiet. I sure wish I could have been there in the passenger days.

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railnut0571 »

I believe they travel between 25 to 35 mph on the line too Croswell. One you get out into Sanilac County Ive noticed the rail seems too be in much better condition, and I think its a heavier guage rail also.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I've never seen them flag a crossing on the line to Croswell. I do know they rehabbed the line a few years back (not sure exactly how many, but probably 5 to 10), which helped to increase track speed, and cut down on the derailments that were occurring with increasing frequency.

I know the original thread is two years old, but the schedule still seems to be on an as needed basis, about once a week. Last time I was up to Croswell, there were about a dozen and a half (yes, I know that's a lot) tank cars on the sugar plant property. Things will probably run fairly strong until the beets are gone (may be gone already) and then the line will sit until they have more beets to process.
~ Charles W.

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bad Axe Local to Croswell Questions

Well now that I have found out that the southern parts of the the Huron N Eastern pretty much get serviced randomly as needed, My next question is can someone tell me when the train usualy leaves Bad Axe too head too Elkton, and Pigeon on the Saginaw line. I have seen them come from the south of Bad Axe and head directly to the junction and head up too Elkton, and Pigeon, But the time they leave bad axe seems too very greatly also for the Saginaw run. I would like too follow them at night sometime soon and get some good pics in the dark this time. I was lucky enough too catch them in Pigeon about 3 weeks ago just by chance. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Judging by the amount of those old SGSY Sugar beet cars going north on 701, id say, that they've been taking a good amount up there.

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

They often return to Bad Axe from Ruth around 2am

railnut0571
Railroadfan...fan

Do they usualy leave Bad Axe at 8 A.M. REAPER? Is this usualy on Tuesday's and Thursday's? I haven't been able too catch them on the the other days around Bad Axe. Thanks. Sincerely Railnut0571