Something I've never seen before

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Something I've never seen before

Unread post by pica »

I was in Wixom on Saturday March 6. I saw 3 northbound CSX trains in the span of about 30 minutes. I'd say that has to be a first, at least for me anyway. Looks like rail traffic seems to be picking up. I'm planning to go to Durand next Sat. Hope I have the same luck.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: Something I've never seen before

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I had heard about that there was alot a southbound. think i saw about 9 or 10 in 10 hours in Durand yesterday doesnt sound the best but when i left there was still a northbound serveral eastbound and a couple westbounds. when i first got there, there were 4 in durand at the same time.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Lapeer was rockin' Fri. night

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Yeah, there were quite a few up and down the Saginaw sub. on Sat. I wouldn't exactly say traffic is picking up on the line, it hasn't picked up during the week yet. I'm still only seeing the 2 scheduled trains and grain doesn't seem to have picked up. There's been a few more coal trains, IIRC they've all been eastern coal. It's been a while since I've seen a western load go north. Sometimes on a Sat. they will run quite a few trains and it just happened to be that day.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

There should be a N954 western load sometime in the wee hours of the morning. It was called out of Chicago at 14:45.

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

They have cleared out Lincoln in Wixom, all that left is a few bo's and the trans flo cars. Last week they pulled a train of racks out after that snow storm. Even the lead into the ford factory is empty now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

BOHICA wrote:They have cleared out Lincoln in Wixom, all that left is a few bo's and the trans flo cars. Last week they pulled a train of racks out after that snow storm. Even the lead into the ford factory is empty now.
Maybe they're preparing for service to the new company at the plant 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

AARR wrote:
BOHICA wrote:They have cleared out Lincoln in Wixom, all that left is a few bo's and the trans flo cars. Last week they pulled a train of racks out after that snow storm. Even the lead into the ford factory is empty now.
Could be, but they would prolly need to gut out the factory before they would need a rail yard cleared out, the only activity I ever see there is few building engineers and the wixom police hiding in the entrances.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

BOHICA wrote:
AARR wrote:
Could be, but they would prolly need to gut out the factory before they would need a rail yard cleared out, the only activity I ever see there is few building engineers and the wixom police hiding in the entrances.
If Ford is anything like GM, then they already had quite a bit of that place emptied out before the last day.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

pica wrote:I was in Wixom on Saturday March 6. I saw 3 northbound CSX trains in the span of about 30 minutes. I'd say that has to be a first, at least for me anyway. Looks like rail traffic seems to be picking up. I'm planning to go to Durand next Sat. Hope I have the same luck.
Ya, I bet the dispatcher was surprised to see three trains in a row at Holly!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ford left most of the machinery in-place as I was speaking to a few former Wixom plant people as Ford was hoping to revamp the place for the new Fiesta which will be rolling out of the Old Michigan Truck (Now Called Michigan Assy) Plant this Fall.

However, word seems that Ford might sell to a movie company for use as a movie studio, but it would need a BIG overhaul for that. The last rail activity I saw there was a B36-7 working out by the docks adjcent to 96 back in the early 2000's. However, if Ford wanted to bring Wixom back online they could. Its really mothballed.