INER seeks to purchase MSO

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

INER seeks to purchase MSO

Unread post by slwapprslw »

The Indiana Northeastern Railroad (INER) is seeking purchase of the Michigan Southern Railroad (MSO) and the Kendallville Terminal Railway (KTR). The deal will be under review by Pioneer Railcorp and the STB. If accepted, INER will study the possibility of upgrading the line between Hillsdale, MI and White Pigeon, MI to 30 MPH with TWC. Additional information to follow when available.

BTW, if you haven't figured out what day it is, go check the calendar. lol
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: INER seeks too purchase MSO

Unread post by AARR »

Some of us would like to see the "Old Road" reunited with one operator. MSO seems to run a decent operation...but INE is a very good at developing business and may be able to generate more business on the MSO portion of the line than what Pioneer has been able to do.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Re: INER seeks to purchase MSO

Unread post by berkmeister »

Very good news indeed! I have checked out the Old Road on the east edge of Sturgis several times in recent years, kinda depressing seeing small trees and thick brush growing between the rails. I was always thinking why MSO/INE didn't intechange here at Sturgis, yet when INE purchased the MSO from Coldwater to Sturgis several years ago, i believed INE was looking to eventually take over the entire line from Hillsdale to White Pigeon. As mentioned, MSO has done a credible job of serving the current customers on the line but it seems car storage is more profitable to them than servicing industrial customers. So an INE/GDLK interchange at White Pigeon could be quite interesting for INE, giving them two connections with NS, Elkhart and Montpelier! Berk. :D But i should've read further down, right Cass? Too good to be true? Not necessarily, but considering the date of your post, remember Conrail started up 4/1/1976. Berkmeister

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

And Conrail was a very bad joke that was played upon us. Many political decisions. Lots of trackage ripped up. And then, when sold to CSX and NS, they continue to toss pieces away.

As far as IN purchasing MSO... Amtrak will convert to steam locomotives before MSO sells to IN. MSO's REAL profit comes from their strip clubs and massage parlors in Peoria, Illinois.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Actually, that may have been an April Fool's joke, BUT I honestly don't think it would be a terrible decision forthe INER if the offer to sell was ever made (at least for the MSO portion).

I have never been a huge Pioneer Railcorp fan even when I was a shareholder. I felt the company made too many decisions without thinking and seems rather shady in some of their business dealings. I would prefer to see the line owned and operated by one company with a quality reputation and that has been able to build business along it's line.

This is nothing against those employees on the ground for the MSO, but the company leadership has always seemed suspect in my opinion.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

WOW, strip clubs and massage parlors; what a railroad company we have here!!!!!!! I wonder if they're giving Pioneer RR employees free passes? :lol: Berk

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

http://theinsidedope.blogspot.com/2006/ ... stays.html

Above link to story about Brenkman's "club" in Keithburg.

His strip club in Peoria, IL is called "Fantasyland". Surprised Disney didn't sue him over use of their trademarked name.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

RRTTF wrote:And Conrail was a very bad joke that was played upon us. Many political decisions. Lots of trackage ripped up. And then, when sold to CSX and NS, they continue to toss pieces away.
The irony is the government did what the CR railroads had been trying to do for years...consolidate mainlines and trim unprofitable branch lines.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

RRTTF wrote:And Conrail was a very bad joke that was played upon us. Many political decisions. Lots of trackage ripped up. And then, when sold to CSX and NS, they continue to toss pieces away.

I'd say Conrail was one of the few government projects that actually made the government decent money. The government put a lot of money into the Conrail system, but made a lot of money from the public stock offering of Conrail and then I'm sure made money off the split.

Did it cost some railraod lines? Absolutely but to be honest would those lines have survived anyway? Most of the lines that were ripped up were lines that were not going to be needed in the long run anyway given the changes that occurred in railroading before and after Conrail's formation.

Some of the lines that got ripped up could come in handy now, but the fact is they were taken up because at that time they were not needed.