CSX Michigan Divisions Luck

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

CSX Michigan Divisions Luck

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Was talking to a buddy of mine and he works on Toldeo Div. He said that The Detroit and Toldeo Div. are getting a lot of the brand new GEVO's (just out of the shop). I like them in the Dark Future scheme. They look pretty sharp. I hate not to see that many Geeps and SD's on the route. I know that a GEVO has been running a local from Plymouth to Wayne over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Now, they could use the switcher from Wayne (Currently a Geep either 38 or 40). Why waste such big power on 2-5 car trains? Just grab a reliable Geep.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo Subdivision Power

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I live next to the Toledo Sub (B&O), and while I have seen a few GEVO's, they do not dominate the power seen on this route. A possible explanation for the GEVO's heading to Toledo on the C&O side is that if past practices are followed, New GE's are set up for initial operation in Willard (this was the practice prior to the CSX/CR merger). Some of those would then be assigned to Willard-Toledo trains of which there are several. From Toledo, they can go in a multitude of directions, which would help in their dispersal.
As for "big power" on little trains, I would suspect that the power set gets turned at Detroit (or wherever) to power another train. For example, I have seen Q508 (Garrett-Toledo Stanley) go by the house as light unit(s) as a result of having no cars to haul east of Defiance. Since the units are needed in Toledo for another train, they continue on instead of returning to Garrett.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

That explains why I saw a Q326 go by in July with 3 engines and no cars.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Yeah, It has happened alot lately.... GEVO's are all over the Detroit Div. Have seen 2 or 3 in the past few days.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Haven't seen very many out my way on the Plymouth sub course they could come by during the day. All I ever see is HLCX or FURX and the occasional BNSF loco or CSX SD40-2s
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Watch the Eastern end of the Diamond, or the Toldeo Div. You will see em. I see them a lot though headed back toward Plymouth....