LSRC Oscoda

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
markvz
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC Oscoda

Unread post by markvz »

Just caught the LSRC heading south through Oscoda at the KOA. 281 was leading a short train at approx. 5 mph. I assume the slow speed is due to the poor track condition and the rash of derailments in the area.

LSRC had another 7 cars derail on the 16th between Oscoda and Tawas. I found 3 of the cars on the ground earlier this week. It appeared that the track in the area was quickly repaired. The track in the area looks worse than I've ever remebered it. I wonder if the LSRC is going to do anything about this, or if this just means trains crawling through this area regularly.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The LSRC better do something soon. The track has to be an issue just getting to the end of the line and scheduling crews. They have gotten lucky that units have not been lost or someone killed recently.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Despite the long and heavy trains gravel is a low profit commodity. And the flyash faces stiff competition from both trucks and ships. The track is expensive to maintain. If they don't get financial assistance from the state (and MI has a serious deficit) they may review the viability of the line north of Pinconning Jct.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

The first two derailed cars. I believe the second car in this picture is former BN:

The single derailed hopper to the north of the others, taken via zoom from near the other two cars. The zoom has exaggerated the poor condition of the rails, note the distance between joints.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Maybe the cars didn't derail, maybe that's LSRC's method of ballasting the track :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

Don't worry about the line to Alpena, It will get upgraded in the spring.
Or sooner if I hit the lottery and make a donation. LOL

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Wow, that track looks AWFUL! Something about those pictures makes me laugh a little. I can picture the train slowly lumbering along, and almost comically, the cars just flop on to their sides. :lol:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

You're right, in the picture the rail looks awful. The author said the zoom exaggerates the condition of the track. Good thing cause in the picture that track looks worse than GLC's line to Middleton :)

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

jukeman wrote:Don't worry about the line to Alpena, It will get upgraded in the spring.
Source? This is good news if true.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Don Simon wrote:You're right, in the picture the rail looks awful. The author said the zoom exaggerates the condition of the track.
Yeah, I figured that. However, I think the local line from Holland to Hamilton actually looks that bad even in wide angle! :lol:

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

at some point I would think the insurance companies would drop them due to the condition of track and number of claims, paying for railcars on their sides can't be cheap.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

And I thought wyoming yards roadbed was bad. :shock:
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

SousaKerry wrote:at some point I would think the insurance companies would drop them due to the condition of track and number of claims, paying for railcars on their sides can't be cheap.
thought I heard somewhere that they were self-insured...has this changed?

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

markvz wrote:
jukeman wrote:Don't worry about the line to Alpena, It will get upgraded in the spring.
Source? This is good news if true.
Donald Trump

Name has been changed to protect the innocent