I've never seen this before

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

I've never seen this before

Unread post by msurailfan »

So last night, I'm driving thru Plymouth to a buddy's place and I see there's an empty coal train stopped off the South to West wye in Plymouth (train came from the south, wyed west up toward Lansing). What happened next confused me. 2 dash9's came up to the rear of the cut, hooked up, and started pushing. At first I thought there was no way they could actually be needed to push that cut, since it was empty coal and there were what looked like 2 dash9's (it was dark) on the front end. I have no clue what the route ID for this train was since I didn't have my scanner with me at the time, nor did I catch any of the engine #s, but did anyone catch this? Were they really needed to push that, or was that just a glorified power move?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: I've never seen this before

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes really needed as that is loaded coal. Empty coal would be headed south, you said it was headed north, we dont mine coal in Michigan. Happens quite often. Its all up hill starting at Ford Rd. Throw in a 10 MPH wye, and wamo you are going no where fast.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Ok that makes more sense. I swear those cars were empty but I guess they may not have been loaded to the brim. First time I've ever seen that. :oops:

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Probably getting a head start on Salem Hill, a couple miles to the west. Heavy trains need help getting up it sometimes.
Owosso Steve

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

As Matt said, it is not unusual for a coal drag to get bogged down by the southwest wye. It's also not unusual for a following train to be requested by the dispatcher to cut their power off at Lilley Rd, proceed past the red, and push the coal drag up Salem Hill. I watched that happen many times in the late nineties when I worked in Plymouth.

With the new bridge at Sheldon Rd, they no longer mess up traffic there. Ford Heater employees were frequently late for work when one stalled and had Sheldon blocked.
Norm

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Norm wrote:As Matt said, it is not unusual for a coal drag to get bogged down by the southwest wye. It's also not unusual for a following train to be requested by the dispatcher to cut their power off at Lilley Rd, proceed past the red, and push the coal drag up Salem Hill. I watched that happen many times in the late nineties when I worked in Plymouth.

With the new bridge at Sheldon Rd, they no longer mess up traffic there. Ford Heater employees were frequently late for work when one stalled and had Sheldon blocked.
Yea I live about a mile from there and had to go by that every morning for high school. If there was a train, it was a piece of cake getting onto the highway for me. But if I got caught in the traffic just after one when by, I'd be waiting in the michigan left for a good 10 minutes sometimes. Main reason they made that is Sheldon's the main connector for ambulance traffic down to plymouth and they would get caught, lengthening response times.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys. I feel like a real noob now thanks haha :lol:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just one other note, the train should have been N92114 who headed to Grand Rapids and is now at West Olive dumping their load.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

railroadfan wrote:...dumping their load.
Umm, Beavis, he said "dumping their load" he he he
Ahh, that's like Pat C saying "POOOOP" and stuff
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

haha, good one AARR!

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

AARR wrote:
railroadfan wrote:...dumping their load.
Umm, Beavis, he said "dumping their load" he he he
Ahh, that's like Pat C saying "POOOOP" and stuff
That's what she said....