Longest main line slow order I think I've ever seen.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steel Inferno
BANHAMMERED

Longest main line slow order I think I've ever seen.

Unread post by Steel Inferno »

Today I think I witnessed the longest and lowest speed slow order for a main line I have ever seen. I was chasing the SBS Z117 from Saginaw to Flint today. Power was the 5921, 1162, 1164, and 2052. 56 grain loads with the older CSX cars, 44 freight. While pacing the train along Blackmar road the train never went any faster then 10 to 15 mph. Same speed across Main St in Birch Run. I stopped chasing Z117 there because I wanted to see Q322-02 come in to McGrew.
Ever since SBS took over the line the top speed has been 25 mph. I can remember when CSX had it the top speed was 50mph and like 30mph for loaded coal and grain.
Anyway this slow order was like almost 10 miles long or more. Needless to say this was very disappointing.
Anyone else think they have seen an even longer slow order? 10 to 15mph is about as slow as you can get.
Forgot to mention earlier that C.R. Construction has a tie gang working on the Saginaw sub. Their equipment is tied up in the north end of the Birch Run siding.
I thought Z117 could've been possibly taking it slow until C.R. Construction was in the clear. But that wasn't the case. I just wonder how the LSRC/SBS can make any money with trains being operated at such a slow pace. :shock: :roll:
Last edited by Steel Inferno on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clean Coal = Michigan Jobs
http://www.americaspower.org

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Re: Longest main line slow order I think I've ever seen.

Unread post by LSRC »

I don't remember exactly but there are some longer speed restrictions on the Huron Sub. The entire line is rated for 25 mph (I believe, some may be higher after last summer's track work), but 10mph speed restrictions cover most of the line. I want to say the longest stretch is 30 or 40 miles long, but I could be remembering that wrong.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Guess you wouldn't want to run as a crew from Trout Lake to Munising, most of the line along M28 or the "Sceny Stretch" is 10mph track. Sad to see what was once a glorious line connecting the Soo to the Twinn Cities is now a 10mph branch line.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

the dean sub is now up to 35 or 45 mph since they re tied the line last year it was probably down to 25mph
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Steel Inferno wrote: Anyway this slow order was like almost 10 miles long or more. Needless to say this was very disappointing.
Disappointing? I wish most of the trains I have chased (and photographed) only went 10mph. My car would certainly be in better shape! :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

J T wrote:
Steel Inferno wrote: Anyway this slow order was like almost 10 miles long or more. Needless to say this was very disappointing.
Disappointing? I wish most of the trains I have chased (and photographed) only went 10mph. My car would certainly be in better shape! :lol:
Copy that good buddy!
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Try checking out the MAW down here in NW Ohio. They can barely do 5 mph on the entire stretch from Defiance to Napoleon. You wouldn't believe how bad some of the track is.
Bottom text.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I guess you guys are all too young to remember the Penn Central.... Talk about slow orders... It used to take about 12 hours to get a freight train from Elkhart to Jackson. And this was supposed to be a "Mainline"... I'm not going to try to figure out the average speed right now, but I recall there were always stops for pulled air hoses, broken knuckles, etc. All the hallmarks of a railroad that deferred maintainance on the R.O.W. "Ah yes.. the good old days"...

Todd

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Todd Cline wrote:I guess you guys are all too young to remember the Penn Central.... Talk about slow orders... It used to take about 12 hours to get a freight train from Elkhart to Jackson. And this was supposed to be a "Mainline"... I'm not going to try to figure out the average speed right now, but I recall there were always stops for pulled air hoses, broken knuckles, etc. All the hallmarks of a railroad that deferred maintainance on the R.O.W. "Ah yes.. the good old days"...

Todd
It's about 100 miles (according to Google maps), 100/12=8-1/3 mph. Although I'm sure that the cars took about that much time to be classified (if they were) in Jackson as well, due to things like standing train derailments. Who needs MOW work anyway? But then again, that is what happens when the government subsidizes a competing industry (among other things).

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Anyone know how LSRC/SBS is doing post Mr. George's passing?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...