Police announce enforcement of railroad laws

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Police announce enforcement of railroad laws

Unread post by Buster Manning »

The homeless people don't bother the trains at all; some of the guys throw out some water for them :-)

The Amtrak passengers haven't been doing that too much lately account of the big fence the borders the parking lot north of the station.

The biggest problem lately is people jumping off the bridges into the river, this happens mostly just west of Ypsi by the 30 signal, the bridge by Bandemere Park and the bridge just east of Dexter (fun fact--the rr crosses the Huron river 12 times btw Ypsi and Dexter--a 18 mile stretch); there also are some people who jump off the Ann Arbor RR bridge by the dam, these people are usually the older teens/early adults who most often have had some liquid courage.

When school is in session in the fall and spring, we will get mostly students walking on the tracks , usually behind the big athletic field and I have almost hit a couple of doctors crossing the tracks by the helicopter pad to get over to the parking lot on the north side and a few fishermen along Barton Pond. Throw in the fact that this section of mainline is very curvy with limited sight lines and people don't have much time to respond when a train pops into view.

One problem with the rr police watching this corridor is that they can't be everwhere at once; we will see some people the whole length of this area--I wonder if NS will still patrol it in the fall.............

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

It's too bad that the Morons that get hit by trains cause trouble and cost money to the railroad and emergency services. If we could just weed out the gene pool with out causing all the associated problems, all would be well.
Mark it Zero.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I had to call the CN police last week about someone who was having a photo-shoot with a model along the Holly Sub in Downtown Royal Oak. I felt it was important to call since 490 was coming down and there is limited visibility at 4th Street for southbounds coming off that grade.

Lucky for me a CN police officer had given me his business card with the emergency number on it about a month earlier. A message was delivered to the engineer by Desk 8 and they came past a reduced speed, and I was able to holler at the morons to get off the tracks.

I'm surprised more people aren't getting hit by trains in Royal Oak with all the foot traffic and drunks wandering around on the weekends. I'm sure Amtrak 354 has had their fair share of near misses. CN has a strong police presence in Royal Oak, and have been known to ticket recently.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Police to enforce trespassing laws on railroad property near Ann Arbor (see photos) http://www.annarbor.com/news/police-to- ... ann-arbor/
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Apparently nobody can read in Ann Arbor based on the comments left from that article. They keep saying how this a waste of time having the Ann Arbor Police doing this, when its the NS police enforcing the trespassing laws.
Last edited by GTW6401 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Those comments on the AA paper article were pretty amusing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Often, I enjoy the people's comments more so than the article and in this case it's the blind leading the blind. Although, the article is probably as close to accurate as a newspaper will get these days.

Ann Arbor - 7 square miles surrounded by reality :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

AARR wrote:Ann Arbor - 7 square miles surrounded by reality :)
Ain't that the truth.
Norm