Traffic on the Orion Spur

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Traffic on the Orion Spur

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

I guess thats what you call it but its the line the breaks off the Holly Sub in Pontiac and goes north to the industries in Orion. So today i took a ride around there and noticed that the sand that was on the track was pushed away and that led to the question how many trains go through there? Now that the busness is not working.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traffic on the Orion Spur

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I dont know anything about the sand but theres a local that runs on there probably a few times a week. As far as I know they dont use the Orion Yard right now. I dont know how they can ship cars again from Orion with the yard torn up or if its not needed and was just used for storage. The local does not go to the yard anyways.

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

There was a little sand on the tracks that was pushed aside on a road that i cant think of the name. But the Yard said on the entrance road "FDIC Property No Tresspassing" and it has a for sale sign on it. Like you said i dont know what they are going to do when it picks up again with the yard gone.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

The local shouldn't go any farther than the scrap yard. If they're going up to Orion yard then it's only to store cars and there isn't much left of it. We won't know until April-May of 2011 if Orion Assembly will ship by rail again or not. it's a good possibility with Orion being the only producer of the Chevy Aveo and the other small cars coming down the line, but who knows.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I went by the Orion plant the other day and there were some new vehicles in the lot where they used to load railcars but that was about it other than a few security guards at their posts.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Hmmm....that's odd. Shouldn't be any new vehicles in the lot. Production doesn't start until next year. Maybe some type of pilot test build, the line isn't even ready to build cars yet.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

conrailmike wrote:Hmmm....that's odd. Shouldn't be any new vehicles in the lot. Production doesn't start until next year. Maybe some type of pilot test build, the line isn't even ready to build cars yet.
I'd guess maybe 50ish cars in the lot. I think it was Tuesday when I saw them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...