Kalamazoo Spur

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Kalamazoo Spur

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder if that was around the time the ex-Fisher plant had been converted to warehouse and was receiving the last refrigerators from Greenville just before or after the Greenville plant ended production???
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Most of the refrigerators from Greenville were coming in 60 foot high-cube boxcars, mostly with MMRR reporting marks. They had been Chessie cars previously. Most of them were blue. On the NS they were routed Grand Rapids to Elkhart, then Elkhart to Kalamazooo because the southbound "granny" had nowhere to set out cars. Botsford Yard is on the east/west line, there is no longer any north/south yard on the way to/from Grand Rapids.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

they could have pulled up just north of BO Tower and take the cut of cars past the Gibson switch and shove the cut of cars back into Botsford, (the way the Elk dose it). and let the ns local out of Botsford that heads to Pfizer take them out to the cn interchange.this is exactly how the Elk does all work in K-zoo
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Regarding the 86' boxes, I really doubt they were from GM in Wyoming. That traffic was never interchanged to GTW, and they never used CN family boxcars. I'd guess it was either a random shipment from Checker (didn't they stop shipping a few years prior?), or they were loading up old racks or some other equipment that had been sold from Checker.
canpac08 wrote:they could have pulled up just north of BO Tower and take the cut of cars past the Gibson switch and shove the cut of cars back into Botsford, (the way the Elk dose it
Conrail had a hard enough time getting from GR to Elkhart and back with one crew when the track was still in good shape!