Interesting train in Traverse City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
eveannco
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting train in Traverse City

Unread post by eveannco »

This morning GLC Pulled into town with a string empty covered hoppers and some company boxcars along with a load of lumber for Williamsburg. The cars were spotted on the remaining siding in Boardman yard before the lumber car was run west.

Interesting to see how the condo owners will react to the storing of the cars there. A few folks were less than pleased about having to walk around them. It didnt take long for the local kids to find the train, while the crew was setting handbrakes a bunch of kids promply climbed into the roofs of the hoppers and began playing with the hatches (They hurried down when the engine ran by on the main). Probably wont be long until our resident grafitti rats discover the cars sitting there also.

Nice to see trains up here again with these unusual consists.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Interesting train in Traverse City

Unread post by TCBrent »

I counted 22 cars at Boardman Yard, so with the lumber car they brought up, we had a 23 car train in Traverse City today! Most of the cars in the yard are either marked GLC or TSBY. There's been a lot of activity around town lately, passenger train, mixed train, and a 23 car freight train. Plus on the bad side, they hit an SUV on River Road! What's next? hahaha Shame I had no idea that brought in the other cars to the yard, I just figured they came up with the one centerbeam, would have been cool to chase around while they blocked up traffic....
-TC Brent
Last edited by TCBrent on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the updates guys :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

TSBY former Ann Arbor double door box cars, WSSX hoppers, GLC hoppers, TSBY hoppers, and strangly, two even have the GLC marks painted out on a couple. Strange. And it just had to have some excitment coming into town:

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Are these for storage?

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Most likely. But it would sure be nice if Cherry Growers was going to fill up those boxcars!!
-TC Brent

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Rick in TC wrote:TSBY former Ann Arbor double door box cars, WSSX hoppers, GLC hoppers, TSBY hoppers, and strangly, two even have the GLC marks painted out on a couple. Strange. And it just had to have some excitment coming into town:

According to 9and10news.com the guy was weed whacking and parked near the tracks. Sounds slightly fishy.. :?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Those orange box cars were rebuilt around 1980. There were 50 of them. The were formerly 40's built in the 1950's that were "stretched" to 50'. Originally they were used to serve Ford in Saline and the foam plant in Whitmore Lake. It seems like the disappeared around 1984ish but about a dozen resurfaced 20ish years later in bagged bean and lumber service (lumber from LSRC). I guess they have about 10 years more useful like before they have to be scrapped so we'll see what happens to them :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

I looked at them today, all the cars appear to be junk. Hoppers missing chutes, some labled "home shop for repair- do not load", all look like they are waiting for the torch. A couple still have the NS horse logo on them.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

I also went on down to see them and a few of them had WSSX reporting marks on them. They do indeed look pretty bad. Probably awaiting the scrappers torch. They should just haul them down to Rifkin. scrap the car bodies then load up the spare trucks on flat cars.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Does Rifkin still have a siding in place. If they do, that could be what the plan is sort of. Rifkin may come in and torch these cars. I wonder if you will see the GLC bring some scrap gons in the next time they come into town. Rifkin could scrap on site and load into the cars for the GLC to pull the scrap out in. Or maybe the GLC will do it themselves and just needed a space to do it in.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:Does Rifkin still have a siding in place. If they do, that could be what the plan is sort of. Rifkin may come in and torch these cars. I wonder if you will see the GLC bring some scrap gons in the next time they come into town. Rifkin could scrap on site and load into the cars for the GLC to pull the scrap out in. Or maybe the GLC will do it themselves and just needed a space to do it in.
Yes, Rifkin's siding is still in place. It has not been used since Rifkin took over for Integrity which I think was about 3-4 years ago.

TC John
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC John »

Just went to see the cars today. No way they'll cut them up on the old yard- not enough room. I'm wondering if they might go to Rifken? Thye don't look look they are up here for storage because I was also in Cadillac yesterday and there were more of those old AA box cars there in storage and all those ex-Metra cars that were in Grawn still sit in Cadillac in storage (why would they move those from Grawn only to bring a the box cars and hoppers (only not all the box cars) to TC just for storage. So, remember a while back when Shack (I think) told us to look for new temporary business "up north" in late July or August? Well- could this be it? Bringing cars up for scrapping, and maybe loads of scrap out?

Hey, Rick in TC, went by your house yesterday- your Sierra was in the drive, but Suburban gone, place looked all locked up tight- are you headed west already?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

TC John wrote:So, remember a while back when Shack (I think) told us to look for new temporary business "up north" in late July or August? Well- could this be it? Bringing cars up for scrapping, and maybe loads of scrap out?
Yes, I remember...kinda of a bummer if you ask me :(

TC John
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC John »

On one of the box cars expecially, you can easily make out the Ann Arbor Railroad" lettering and ship logo. There were about 5 more sitting in Cadillac, so either those are still "good", or maybe they will come up to TC also.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

TC John
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Interesting train in Traverse City- Update

Unread post by TC John »

Drove by the GLC/TSBY/WSSX cars in Traverse City this morning. Two GLC trucks at the north end. One guy up on one of the covered hoppers with a couple of the roof hatches open (whatever those are called), and another guy appears to be studying the couplers between a couple cars, or valves, or thinking about the next cup of coffee. So, certainly not just storage cars. Maybe stripping and scrapping at the north end, away from the condos? Hmmm...

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

They may be used for warehousing. I don't know why you would haul them up to TC to scrap them. Even if Rifkin paid top dollar unless they paid to move the cars it cuts into your margin. I would have scraped them in place where they were stored or hauled them the shortest distance possible.
Semi-retired railroader