HESR map raises some questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

HESR map raises some questions

Unread post by Shorthaul »

I was just on the Huron and Eastern's website, and happened to notice something odd about their system map:
I had no idea that the NS ran through Flint to Port Huron!!! Is this because of the FLINT INTERMODEL TERMINAL????
Since when does the GLC cross the CSX at Holly?
Where is the actual GLC?
Why does CSX own the line from Detroit to Port Huron (Mt Clemens Sub?)
Is is possible that Railamerica is not aware of the CN?
The website:http://www.railamerica.com/railservices/HESR.aspx
Can't believe that they actually made these mistakes. Did a 5th grader make this map, or am I just stupid?
Should I attempt to e-mail them about this?
Here is an actual railroad map of Michigan: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_ ... 0897_7.pdf

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: HESR map raises some questions

Unread post by AARR »

Makes you wonder doesn't it :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Makes you wonder doesn't it :lol:
Hopefully HESR can find the guy who made this and weed him out quickly. Cranio-rectal inversion is a contagious disease, and you don't want your road crews, signal maintainers and engineering staff infected. Of course, it may be a Railamerica guy who does these maps, so hopefully he hasn't infected their headquarters, although he may have caught it there in the first place :D

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I've been a little puzzled about who exactly owns (or leases) what lines in that area for a good ten years now. This map sure doesn't help.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I see one additional problem on the map. If you look going SW from Owosso, it sure seems to show the HESR going a ways to the SW from Owosso. I know part of the line is still in, but I highly doubt it goes as far as the map says it goes.

I wonder if someone is pissed off at CN for some reason and doesn't want to admit they exist.

This is really bad for a company to have this poor quaulity on their company website though. Things like this have been known to bite companies in the arse before.

As for the line lines in the area, it's actually muc simpler as to operations than it seems.

Starting from Port Huron and going west.

The line from Port Huron to Flint to Durand to Lansing is CN. CN also runs from Port Huron to Detroit and from Holly to Detroit.

CSX runs from Plymouth north to Flint, as well as a line from Port Huron south to around St. Clair.

The line from Flint north to Saginaw and to Bay City and Midland is Saginaw Bay Southern a subsidiary of the LSRC which goes north out of Bay City.

The GLC runs from NW of Owosso SE through Durand then splits and heads south to Howell and Ann Arbor.

The line going NE from durand to Saginaw the spreading out eastward and to Midland is the HESR, which is the former CMGN, SGVY plus the Huron and Eastern. The MMRR runs west from Paines (near Saginaw) to Alma and may not be shown on the map.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Your all thinking too much into this. The map was likely created by some IT person that was hired by Rail America to create a website that doesn't know much or give two hoots about the railroads.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Not such bad work for a RAILAMERICA dude. I only see 12 mistakes.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

I'll bet the drawing of the map was outsourced to India....

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Geezers Gone Wild, you crack me up :lol:

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

According to this map, CN does not run anywhere between Durand and Port Huron. Or Durand to Pontiac.

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote: I wonder if someone is pissed off at CN for some reason and doesn't want to admit they exist.
I doubt that Railamerica is pissed at CN, and if they are, than exclusion from a map is really no solution. Besides, RA openly acknowledges the CN's existance on their I&O and MMRR maps, although the MMRR map shows the CN Holly sub as GLC (It actually still says TSBY) property. This is unbelievable in every way.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

by TSB on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:01 am
Not such bad work for a RAILAMERICA dude. I only see 12 mistakes.
by DLM on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42 am
I'll bet the drawing of the map was outsourced to India....
Good ones :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Very interesting map. Could we be seeing the future here or just some common mistakes :?:

I remember hearing a rumor a while back that CN & NS was going to merge. The September 2005 issue of Trains Magazine had CN & NS as part of their "What If" merger puzzle article. The merger to could lead them to have a firesale on routes that aren't needed any more like the Holly Sub. We could see GLC getting access to Pontiac and Detroit if CN pulls out entirely. :idea: