Coal dealer on the grand elk?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Coal dealer on the grand elk?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

While driving by botsford yard today i noticed a couple of black ns coal hoppers that looked to be filled with asphalt or coal does anyone know were these go?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Coal dealer on the grand elk?

Unread post by AARR »

Pfizer gets 700-800 cars a year of coal
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

that's true Pfizer gets coal usually in cuts of 26 cars but you should be seeing alot of coal in the coming weeks to help stock pile for the winter due to coal freezing in the cars and no way to get the frozen coal out
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

canpac08 wrote:that's true Pfizer gets coal usually in cuts of 26 cars but you should be seeing alot of coal in the coming weeks to help stock pile for the winter due to coal freezing in the cars and no way to get the frozen coal out
So which road do they get the coal from? because i never see coal cars on the jackson-wayne turn.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

They come up out of Elkhart on the 302. Not sure. Not sure what train they come in on but they come across Ohio on the Chicago line.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

JANGAJONGA wrote:So which road do they get the coal from? because i never see coal cars on the jackson-wayne turn.
They get it from NS out of Elkhart but I don't know where it originates from (although it's probably on NS or one of it's connecting shortlines)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sgavan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sgavan »

Caught it leaving Botsford for Pfizer this morning. It nearly stalled on the grade near Miller Rd and Cork. Probably around 50 coal and another 10 or so tanks and boxcars. Here's a cell video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su124JwcKBU

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Nice video

Looks like they could have used a push sgavan...did you eat your wheaties :)

3000hp isn't much good when you can't get moving faster than 5 mph :lol:

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Does anybody know what this coal is used for? I am guessing it is just used to generate heat for some kind of pharmaceutical process, but I am VERY surprised that natural gas isn't used instead. Very interesting.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Shorthaul wrote:Does anybody know what this coal is used for? I am guessing it is just used to generate heat for some kind of pharmaceutical process, but I am VERY surprised that natural gas isn't used instead. Very interesting.
It's used to produce electricity for Pfizer. Prior to Pfizer whatever the place was called was pressured into converting to natural gas but when you're the largest employer in the area you have some clout and they stayed with coal. I"ve heard it's been financially beneficially that they did stick with coal but I don't have any inside info to confirm.