Why no transload in TC?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TSB
peon

Re: Why no transload in TC?

Unread post by TSB »

I'm not even getting into Sara Lee. We reengineered the entire support plan for them
including funding to move the 72,000 volt overhead power lines and building a heated
liquid sweetener unloading facility.
They finally divulged that they had outsourced their entire national logistics function to
a trucking outfit near Atlanta.
Did I mention we had a cotton seed distribution center? Small, but...
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

TSB wrote: Did I mention we had a cotton seed distribution center? Small, but...
Was this the place in Middleton?
The dispatcher is cool.

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Intermodal - The use of two or more modes of transportation to transport one shipment or individual.

We tend to use the word intermodal when referring to shipments in containers. If you drive to the airport, fly to Orlando, and take the bus to Disney, you have just completed an intermodal journey using three modes of transportation. I have called on many companies who say they never use intermodal transportation. I then ask them if they have ever mailed a letter, UPS'ed a package, or sent an LTL shipment to California.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTWTD3 wrote:
TSB wrote: Did I mention we had a cotton seed distribution center? Small, but...
Was this the place in Middleton?
Yes, Middleton. Built a small dock/covered shed to unload cotton seed. Seems like they were around 100 cars a year (I'm guessing).

Mr TSB was not the only one who went to Sarah Lee. The city officials approached them too. Told SL use it or you could lose it. SL doesn't care. They like their trucks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Back in the days when I was a young lad with a fast 10 speed, I'd chase Chessie and MIGN throughout TC. Only once did I ever see a car parked at Sara Lee. Chessie dropped what I remember to be an ACF type hopper there. After that, the only covered hoppers I remember up here were dropped at the former clock factory (or whatever) at Airport Access and Parsons road by the MIGN. Daily Chessie freights now and again had one in the consist heading south from Petoskey at least once or twice a week. Those could also have been traffic from Petoskey. Last SB Chessie I caught was GP30 #3030 with a Chessie box, a BN box, Soo Line bulkhead Flat, ACF hopper and following - a lil' Chessie caboose. Missed that last train though- was a sight to see from the pics!
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

My dad worked for Chef Pierre (that's what Sara Lee plant in TC was before Sara Lee bought them out). He unloaded covered hoppers of flour, tanks of corn sweetner, and tanks of amonia (for the freezers). That was in the 70's.