Ann arbor railroad time table

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Ann arbor railroad time table

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

anaybody know what time the Annie usually rolls through pittsfield junction, been meaning to get out there to railfan, but with out times, and knowing thet there are only two trains a day,need to get the right timeslot.

on a side note what does the Ann Arbor go into ann arbor for anymore anyway? I think that fingerle lumber Co. gets shipments by rail, but aside from that why do the make it to Ann arbor nowadays?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Ann arbor railroad time table

Unread post by AARR »

ConrailMan5 wrote:on a side note what does the Ann Arbor go into ann arbor for anymore anyway? I think that fingerle lumber Co. gets shipments by rail, but aside from that why do the make it to Ann arbor nowadays?
From what I hear Fingerle hasn't received anything in years. They almost closed recenlty but union accepted lower offer so they plod along. Only reason AA goes through Ann Arbor is to interchange with GLC at Osmer which is a siding a few miles north of Ann Arbor. They go there almost daily.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Last year someone was loading construction debris into hopper cars at the south end of Ferry Siding. That's about the only local business I'm aware of in Ann Arbor proper in some time.

BTW - in the 1970's Fingerle would receive 400-500 cars annually.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

I usually hear Annie crossing Elsworth St. in A2 anywhere between 1-4am. They have been known to go thru during the day as well; generally between 1-4pm. But I would say they usually come thru close to 3am.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

It's a tad odd that they have no customers in a town as large as Ann Arbor
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Yea I don't think fingerle has shipped in a long time. The gons were from construction debris from uofm building a new sports complex or something. The ns Interchange was ripped up 2 years ago. Besides fingerle there is one more forest product place with a spur but I have never seen cars there. Ferry siding will be used if osmer is full. Not much going on in aa for the railroads these days though aa loads more passengers for amtrak then anyother mi city.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Besides fingerle there is one more forest product place with a spur but I have never seen cars there.
Burt Forest Products was good for a carload a year or so but I'm not aware of any rail deliveres in a long time.

FWIW - There's still a spur in place to a U of M warehouse on the south side of town although it is covered by brush and a tree is growing in the middle of it.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Yep that's the place. They put mow equipment on it sometimes. I think the rails would need to be picked out of the cement when it crosses the road down there. As for the uofm spur is that by ferry yard? I know there are a few tracks left in the ferry yard as well as the yard office with the old compass logo still visible. I really need to get a picture of that before its torn down.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Ohh wait nvrmind I know what your talking a bout down by 94 the loading docks are there but there is a tree in the middle of the spur. I have seen mow equipment there as well.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Anybody else find it funny that Fingerle lumber advertises on the Radio that they have low prices because they buy railroad car loads? I hope they really do buy car loads and have them trucked shipped. They must get a lower rate from another railroad and save money by doing a transload.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

If you want to see the Annie in the daylight, truck on down to Dundee or Milan in the evening and wait for them to come north. They work their way up from Toledo leaving in the late afternoon or early evening, switching industries along the way. GEMA gets an almost daily switch, as does the plastics place in Dundee. Occasionally there's an interchange for the IORY at Diann. They always stop at Milan yard to stop and work the NS interchange. Then, they normally take off north to Pittsfield Jct. where they tie down and cab home. A second crew comes north and takes the train to Saline, then north for the Osmer interchange, then back south.

It is sad there is nothing when it comes to railroad industries in Ann Arbor.....on the Annie OR the NS.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:GEMA gets an almost daily switch, as does the plastics place in Dundee. Occasionally there's an interchange for the IORY at Diann.
I didn't realize these two were switched that often...heck, I didn't realize they were being switched at all anymore. Can you tell me a little about what you've seen there and how many cars get switched?

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Owlcaboose, I don't think so. Last I heard, trains would run from Howell to where the GLC ownership of the line ends, which is just east (timetable north) of the Barton drive crossing north of Ann Arbor. The Ann Arbor railroad refuses to run any kind of passenger trains at all, so I doubt that they will run south of that point, let alone onto the NS to a station by the hospital. Buses will take passengers from that area I mentioned into downtown. Too bad that the current Ann Arbor is so closed-minded about this, I can only hope that something changes, hopefully involving the GLC and AARR becoming one railroad.