NS Wayne and Willow Run

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

NS Wayne and Willow Run

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I've got a couple questions...

-Is there a good (legal) spot to watch action at the yards at Wayne and Willow Run?
-Is there any action to watch that uses the yard at WIllow Run?

Thanks!

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Wayne and Willow Run

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Ben, don't waste your time going to Willow Run; there is NOTHING going on there.................currently.

As for Wayne, maybe someone else can tell you, but from what I have seen, there are no public roads that give a good view of what's going on there.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Willow run was used for triple crown services up until the winter of 2008/09. The only thing going on there would be autorack storage. So yes ,it is dead.

Wayne on the other hand should be getting better this winter due to ford making new cars at the Wayne assembly plant. There is a auto train going out of wayne currently ,but it runs as a local (B33) around midnight. They used to run a 20V and a 27V ,but not anymore. There is usually a loaded steel coil train (60T) that runs twice a week. It takes coils to wayne industries ( a steel coil distributor) which is located on the northeast side of the wayne diamond. There is also a inbound 38E manifest that runs daily to wayne and then a outbound 39E. There is pretty much no way to get to the diamond to railfan ,unless your trespassing.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Best bets would be Elizabeth St. for the NS and Annapolis St. for the CSX (Both crossings and you should be able to find a reasonably hassle free spot.) Back in the day there was a road that went by the gas works off of EB Michigan avenue that dead-ended at the tracks but as Buster Manning said, dead as a doorknob at Willow run unless they go down there with B33 or B56 to do some kind of switching around the 11pm to 1am hours... (working around AMTK 354).

Buster, are there any plans to restart anything at Willow Run anytime soon? Or do the prospects look bleak?
Last edited by ns8401 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

nssd70m-2 wrote:Willow run was used for triple crown services up until the winter of 2008/09. The only thing going on there would be autorack storage. So yes ,it is dead.

Wayne on the other hand should be getting better this winter due to ford making new cars at the Wayne assembly plant. There is a auto train going out of wayne currently ,but it runs as a local (B33) around midnight. They used to run a 20V and a 27V ,but not anymore. There is usually a loaded steel coil train (60T) that runs twice a week. It takes coils to wayne industries ( a steel coil distributor) which is located on the northeast side of the wayne diamond. There is also a inbound 38E manifest that runs daily to wayne and then a outbound 39E. There is pretty much no way to get to the diamond to railfan ,unless your trespassing.
This. b44 runs sometime in the afternoon evening EB and pretty late wb.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

JANGAJONGA wrote:
nssd70m-2 wrote:Willow run was used for triple crown services up until the winter of 2008/09. The only thing going on there would be autorack storage. So yes ,it is dead.

This. b44 runs sometime in the afternoon evening EB and pretty late wb.
The last couple of times ive heard them coming east after amtrak 354 ,so it would make it a late night/Early morning train.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know if it's still active but they used to use some of that steel property to stage construction supplies (concrete culverts and pipe) that were delivered by rail. I was surprised because I can't say I see much concrete products shipped by rail. Lots of bulk cement is shipped by rail but it doesn't seem finished conrete products are.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Wayne... I've driven as far as the crossing to the NS Office and have ahd no one bug me, but I don't go there often because for me the shots just suck. Now if the tower was still in the SE Quadrent then that might be a different story.

Willow Run.. As stated is dead. Myself and a friend used to watch them work the Roadrailer trains before they closed up shop on our lunchbreak. The wye is still intact and continues about 500' under Michigan Ave/94 connector. Unfortunately, the line was intact until the Roadrailer service started in 2008, it was double track, and they ripped it out so the trucks could get down to the facility. The line used to go to the old Hydromatic and the adjcent (now abandoned) Ford Plant. There are some remainents (albeit very small sections) of rail in place for those who fossil hunt, otherwise. Nothing.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

You can drive all the way into willow run. I'm not sure the roads, but if you cut in off Ecorse into GM (NONE OF THIS IS POSTED AS PRIVATE) you will come to the road railer road (stay right). You can drive all the way back to the yard. Myself and james did this numerous times when they were operating, nobody ever said a word to use. Always a freindly wave, but if you do see a truck for some reason, they have the right away.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Willow Run tank with the economy it's only a storage yard, supposedly it's going the be the new diesel shops for the SEMCOG Commuter Rail site. As for Wayne, your best bet is to know someone who works at the Ford Wayne plant tp get you in there.