Train Derailment in Plymouth

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Train Derailment in Plymouth

Unread post by Michael »

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/201 ... n-Plymouth
This is right at Farmer street. My understanding in talking with Chris Racer along with some other guys who were there and actually saw it happen, is that they are relatively new (empty) coal cars coming from Grand Rapids on the way to Detroit. They had been in storage for a year or so. 137 cars in total although only one derailed. The train was coming around the corner and the rail itself snapped. I am sure the guys will have a lot more details.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Train Derailment in Plymouth

Unread post by AARR »

Woah, that looks nasty! So Chris Racer caused a derailment...(jkg Chris :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

If they were comming from GR and were crossing Farmer St. they were headed to Walbridge and not Detroit.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

darn....when something cool actually happens in Plymouth, I'm not home to see it :(

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just as a mention, these are the cars from E270 which WMI pulled out of Hartford on Friday that had been stored for months. CSX took them from Hartford to GR last night, then they went east as E44608 today.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

I was in Plymouth Saturday but left around 2:00 to get home to watch the UM vs. MSU game. Looks like I missed all the excitement.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Any damage to the Farmer Street home signal for northbound moves on the main there?

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Owosso Steve

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Amazing. They stayed on the flimsy rails of the West Michigan RR and derailed on a class 1. How ironic.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

GAP wrote:Amazing. They stayed on the flimsy rails of the West Michigan RR and derailed on a class 1. How ironic.
Not to mention just how much time and money CSX MOW crews have spent on the exact spot in the past few months. Anyone who spends any time in Plymouth knows they are always working in that area.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Train Derailment in Plymouth Cont.

Unread post by pica »

I was in Plymouth today and the Farmer St. signal was not working. All trains crossing Farmer St. had to stop and traffic had to be stopped by hand (flag). Not sure if this had anything to do with the derailment on Saturday. I did see crews doing some track work a little north of Farmer St.

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Today they are putting down new rail from the main line to the Southwest wye cross over just north of Farmer Street
on Tues the dumped 2 load of Ballast. The foreman told the RN they might be done by 4pm today.but I am not holding my breath on that.

EDIT @ 17:34 Glad I did not hold my breath on this one.....Nope not done.. Crews are done for the day tho... Both switches for the cross over are clamped and spikes.. for normal
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.