Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by Racer »

From the way the setting is for the Lansing Secondary, it would make more sense to have their "hub" in Lansing because NS owns the yard in Jackson which JAIL would just interchange traffic with. It would make sense to have their base somewhere towards Lansing as the yards are located up there such as Saginaw Yard or even Holt.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:From the way the setting is for the Lansing Secondary, it would make more sense to have their "hub" in Lansing because NS owns the yard in Jackson which JAIL would just interchange traffic with. It would make sense to have their base somewhere towards Lansing as the yards are located up there such as Saginaw Yard or even Holt.
It would or you think it would? I agree, I too would like to see JAIL be a self contained operation, but the likely hood is suspect. As are most things regarding operations at this time. So lets keep it in the speculative tone OK?! :D

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

Hello to all,
Today I saw the southbound freight outside Mason. Up front
was GMTX 9023 with NS 7135 behind. These are not the usual locomotives that I’ve seen traveling between Jackson and Lansing. Is this a little joke that NS is playing to confuse me or has ADBF taken over the line and is leasing this power from NS?
Tim.

chessiefan1980
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessiefan1980 »

Does this mean that NS will still own the Yards in Lansing or the Industrial Track in Lansing?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Those two units came North into Lansing about 3 am Fri morning. What time were they Southbound?

I saw the Northbound between Mason & Holt on Mon or Tues about 6 pm with a pair of NS 6 axle engines.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Hmmmm interesting, this could mean two things.
One: ADBF hasn't taken over operations yet (they have until the 16th to handle ops) and it is a NS unit run by NS crew.
Two: ADBF has taken over and is running out of Jackson (basically duplicating NS's operation of the route) leasing NS power in the interim until:
A: they bring there own power up here, and base there operations at ?
B: they continue to lease from NS or other company indifinatly, running out of Jackson on a need to basis. NS got out from under the expense of opperating a line they deemed as dying, though what I've heard is that traffic has been increasing in volume from 35-40 car trains to 50-60 car trains.

I went by Saginaw yard today, took some photos, not much has been taken care of. There is still "crime scene" tape a crossed the door to one of the buildings. Wind-sock sans sock, transfer caboose looks like the doors were open, everything is generally going to heck. They have a bit of work if they want that to be their JAIL House. So maybe NS did get the last laugh!

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

@ chessiefan

As I read the documents I don't think the yards or track to industries would be reserved from the deal (what kind of a deal would that be? sort of look, but don't touch) why would they have interchange rights with CSX?
Are you thinking of the "Lansing maufacturers railway"?

chessiefan1980
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessiefan1980 »

M&LS wrote:@ chessiefan

As I read the documents I don't think the yards or track to industries would be reserved from the deal (what kind of a deal would that be? sort of look, but don't touch) why would they have interchange rights with CSX?
Are you thinking of the "Lansing maufacturers railway"?
ya know, maybe this may explain why NS got rid of their "Saginaw Yard" sign out by the roadside last year...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

The GMTX and NS unit are standard NS power. NS has on lease quite a few of the ex Oakway SD60s. The other unit is a GP60. Dont get excited just yet. And some where other then Jackson will be the base of opperation, unless there is a small yard directly attached to the "main" track that ADBF is leasing. No way will NS let a short line go on duity and off duity at a NS yard. Heck how would you like it if the former trackage you ran, and now run by someone else, was all the sudden working out of the same building that you were?
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Look I'm just skeptical of them starting up "whole hog" out of Lansing right now, which has the only facilities to accommodate. Holt Yard, trackage in Mason, "north cavannagh" Yard, Hollow Yard, Ensle Yard.... Not one of those has enough room, facilities, or physical plant to be that base, SO... Saginaw Yard, and that is a ghost town.

Think of it this way, trains originate out of Jackson now anyways, but for the time being, rather than NS calling a crew, they say hey ADBF we have got a train (cut) for ya. ADBF then sends out a crew from their HQ to the east, they use a pair of leased NS engines and make the run as usual. But now NS has no overhead, they already have to store cars for interchange on a track at Jackson, they're payed for the use of their engine, no crew to employ...
All that would be "uncoffortable" is two guys driving up climbing aboard a leased engine and rolling away. No shared office, NS gets a good deal, ADBF gets traffic that is "worth the bother of a class 3 rairoad."

At least that's my assessment of things.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

I'll bet they set up shop in Lansing :)

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Yah I really hope they do set up in Lansing, the photos of GP9s with steel coil cars, and there is a park right next to Saginaw Yard, so great for photos!

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

You have to look at it from a business point of view. It is completely illogical to jump in to something that could be a money pit. Especially if you don't know if you are gonna even be able to make money. I don't see them using Jackson as a bad or unthinkable option. From NS point of view, they got rid of the line. It wasn't taken from them. NS will more than likely help the ABDF for a bit.

Eventually I think this will be a stand alone line. BUt not for a little bit atleast.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

AC60CW wrote:From NS point of view, they got rid of the line. It wasn't taken from them. NS will more than likely help the ABDF for a bit.
I hear the NS train guys in Jackson are not happy.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Yea, but to me. Thats union talk coming out. to the workers it is somoene else taking their jobs.

I won't get into any further my views on this.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

when the Grand Elk started up they shared the complex at Botsford with NS guys up until say August of this year, granted it was track guys, but still those track guys lost jobs working out of Kalamazoo, and railroaders hate to see coworkers reguardless of what craft lose jobs. But I could see Jackson as a base of operations for the time being.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

M&LS wrote:Yah I really hope they do set up in Lansing, the photos of GP9s with steel coil cars, and there is a park right next to Saginaw Yard, so great for photos!
Not to mention a photo op from this location:

:)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:No way will NS let a short line go on duity and off duity at a NS yard.

What about the Indiana Northeastern at Montpelier?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Brent, the IN boys go on duty in Hillsdale and deadhead to/from Montpelier, so technically, no......

Does anybody know what's left of the South Yard in Lansing??

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Buster Manning wrote:Does anybody know what's left of the South Yard in Lansing??
Just a storage track where long flats were kept for a long time, and basically a run around track. the bldgs. north and south of Cavanaugh, have been gone for a long time. Also most of the yard tracks are gone, pretty sad. I fondly remember like yesterday, warm summer nights in the 50's, and 60's living on Hunter Blvd. and hearing the banging from the switchman kicking cars. I'd give anything to hear that sound again instead of car boomboxes, you can hear from a 1/4 mile away!