Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by wawatam »

Here’s what I observed today . At noon the crew headed south from RSDC in Holt with two coil cars, one tank car and five box cars. 1758 was in front while 1760 was tied to the back of the train. They traveled thru Mason and stopped at MPC to switch out boxcars there. At 2:30 they headed back north into Mason with 1760 up front. They stopped in Mason to swap out tank cars at the chemical plant and then continued north. They didn’t drop any cars at the grain elevator. The last I heard on the scanner was that they were going to meet up with someone in Holt. A ride home, maybe?

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Maybe I mis-understood my information, maybe they were by the elevator, as mine was all third hand I would trust wawatams account. Thanks!

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Mason Elevator holds six cars but can only load three at a time, shove two past the spout and spot the third one under the spout. Elevator pulls them down as they load them. Decades ago they were talking about loading on the Mason Passing Track but nothing developed.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

So, are they basing their operations out of Holt for the time being? Is there a good place to view their power during the day if they're only running at night? Guess I should have snapped a photo a couple weeks ago when I saw the NS job waiting at CP-MA in Lansing to go north. Wishing the Jackson and Lansing good luck and hope they can keep and attract some more business to this line.

PS - those ex PRR Geeps look awesome :!:

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

Hello all,
I think a lot of us are still trying to get a handle on their operation. I thought I had a clue yesterday when I spent a few hours watching them work, but when I saw them switching at RSDC in Holt earlier today I thought they would be coming down to Mason shortly afterward but as of 7:00 this evening they still had not been to MPC to pick up the empties there. I do think they lay up at RSDC ,but its hard to find a good vantage spot to watch operations or take pictures without getting on the tracks or being on RSDC property. If you happen to catch them going thru Mason there are any number of places where you can get up close. Anyplace downtown or south of town at MPC. I have never been bothered anywhere around town.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I didn't have time to investigate, but at 7:15pm tonight there seemed to be a headlight on at RSDC (I was on 127 going over the bridge)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I appreciate the updates as more sightings are reported and hopefully their operations normalize. I'll be working in Lansing until mid-December and it would be really cool to see them in action either in Lansing or south some place before my job ends. Those GP9s look delightful in their NYC reminiscent paint scheme, how appropriate on a heritage NYC line! Maybe the ADBF will find a use for that Conrail Transfer caboose some day, too. Please, keep the updates and photos coming!

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

GP30M4216 wrote: Maybe the ADBF will find a use for that Conrail Transfer caboose some day, too. Please, keep the updates and photos coming!
I hope so, worked there when the GM plant came down & had a good look, it's in pretty rough shape, but salvageable. Most of the problem was neglect, nothing a little TLC & elbow grease won't take care of. Beats sending it to Padnos to be scrapped!

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

I wonder :?: ; will they making the stencils change from Adrian and Blissfield to Jackson and Lansing RR on two engines? Colors and logos still remain on it.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

GP30M4216 wrote:Those GP9s look delightful in their NYC reminiscent paint scheme, how appropriate on a heritage NYC line!
OwlCaboose2853 wrote:I wonder ; will they making the stencils change from Adrian and Blissfield to Jackson and Lansing RR on two engines? Colors and logos still remain on it.
Agree with GP30M4216 about ADBF "NYC heritage paint scheme", if they do restencil, hope it's like Owl described: "Jackson & Lansing RR", and not that god awful "JAIL"! Even as reporting marks, that stinks!

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

The GP and SW units on DCON never got re-stenciled. I doubt A&B will do it for JAIL, I know wouldn't if it was short term power...
Semi-retired railroader

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The only power on DCON with those reporting marks is the GE center cabs.

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

When the ADBF first got the Checker switcher there was talk of putting "system" on the hood just like the NYC did with the P&LE.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CamasChris wrote:When the ADBF first got the Checker switcher there was talk of putting "system" on the hood just like the NYC did with the P&LE.
That would be sweet. I would like to see that, they should do it.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Jackson & Lansing Railroad Co. buys 47 miles of track
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... co_bu.html
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

Hello all,
At 4:00 am the crew came north into Mason with 27 cars. They stopped long enough to swap out a tank car at the Americhem plant and then continued on north to Holt. Two of the cars were a flat with plate steel for Alro Steel and a gondola for the scrap yard in north Lansing. I would guess that the boys will be up in Lansing sometime today to make those deliveries.
At 12:30 the crew left RSDC with two covered hoppers going north. QD? The gondola and flat car were left on the siding.
Last edited by wawatam on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

wawatam wrote:Hello all,
At 4:00 am the crew came north into Mason with 27 cars. They stopped long enough to swap out a tank car at the Americhem plant and then continued on north to Holt. Two of the cars were a flat with plate steel for Alro Steel and a gondola for the scrap yard in north Lansing. I would guess that the boys will be up in Lansing sometime today to make those deliveries.
I enjoy the updates. Thanks :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Wawatam referenced "the boys."

What, are we all male chauvanists here? Can't there be females working on the railroad, too?

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

RRTTF wrote:Wawatam referenced "the boys."

What, are we all male chauvanists here? Can't there be females working on the railroad, too?
I wasn't tring to offend anyone. It just that the crew happened to be two men.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

wawatam wrote:
RRTTF wrote:Wawatam referenced "the boys."

I wasn't tring to offend anyone. It just that the crew happened to be two men.
You didn't offend anyone wawatam. RRTTF's just being funny.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...