Amtrak 350: two cafe cars?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Amtrak 350: two cafe cars?

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

For the third time in a week I saw Amtrak 350 today. They've kept the same consist, but for some reason it includes a pair of cafe cars, both right next to eachother at one end of the train. One is an Amfleet I, the other a Horizon. What's the deal with this? They're not known for regularly towing extra cars around on corridor trains, and the fact that this isn't the first time I've seen this makes me wonder what's going on. Are they trying to increase Business Class seating due to the fact that it sells out so quickly these days?

PS - Also, every recent Michigan Line Amtrak I've seen has had one Genesis on each end....where have all the F40 cabs gone?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Amtrak 350: two cafe cars?

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:PS - Also, every recent Michigan Line Amtrak I've seen has had one Genesis on each end....where have all the F40 cabs gone?
Just read something in Trains Magazine about the F40's and I can't recall what they said. It's my case of CRS acting up again :oops: Seems like it was something about delaying their retirement and placing them on short distance trains IIRC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

GP30M4216 wrote: PS - Also, every recent Michigan Line Amtrak I've seen has had one Genesis on each end....where have all the F40 cabs gone?

I saw from a distance today that Amtrak 353 had an F40 cabbage leading!
(too far to see the number, it had Genesis pushing)
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Amtraks' sorry attempt to add more capacity for business class; why not just suck it up and do it like the Carolinian with a WHOLE car of business class---which really was an upraded long-distance coach with the nicer seats.

Sometimes we gets those lead sleds and sometimes we don't; personally I don't mind them when it is nice outside and the train isn't too big. Since the Michigan Service has added cars though, it has been and will be an issue with the weather a-changing and having the wheel-slip problem those GEs' have with leaves and/or wet rail and a heavy train (more than 6 cars).

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

CAn one of you cartoonists please draw up an AMTRAK consist with a cabbage car leading it? Should make make it leading the Fruit Growers Express. lol :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I figured it was for the Business Class.....a nice try, I suppose you could say, but full Business Class cars are definitely the way to go. I think the demand is there for several of the Michigan Line trains. Those few seats in the cafe-business class sell out so fast. I tried to get a pair of Business Class tickets out of Chicago over two months early and they were all sold out! I forgot the Carolinian runs with a full Business Class car. A few years ago I thought Amtrak was trying the idea here, as several "coaches" were suddenly repainted and lettered as business class...turns out some dummy in the paint shop just had the wrong decals put on the cars, they were all just coaches.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

GP30M4216 wrote: PS - Also, every recent Michigan Line Amtrak I've seen has had one Genesis on each end....where have all the F40 cabs gone?
I know that 90219 was on those new Kalamazoo Chicago trains that amtrak tried out I also think that 90222 was on the second train set for the Kalamazoo Chicago train
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown