Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by M&LS »

Went to vote and saw them at QD plant on MT Hope/Washington at 15:00hr went back by after voting at 15:30 and they were either gone or back in the spur behind the plant. Having a cold, didn't think to check the spur from Washington perspective. So... I drove down following the line to Holt, couldn't find them again.

This Ahab and the whale stuff is getting old... grrrrr.

thanks for the heads up wawatam! I almost took my camera.

Edit: I think the two cars were still there at RSDC when I went by at approx 16:00hr.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

RRTTF wrote:Wawatam referenced "the boys."

What, are we all male chauvanists here? Can't there be females working on the railroad, too?
Really. :roll:
Mark it Zero.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

They got back to Mason southbound about 17:30. Dropped off a second tank at Americhem, and then headed for MPC with 6 or 8 Boxcars about 18:00

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Sooo.....i'm confused as to where the JAIL is leaving their power. Are they leaving it in Lansing, Holt, or Jackson?

Sort of off topic, but are the unique signals on the Lansing Secondary on Mechanic St. in Jackson still there? That's under JAIL territory, right?

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Don't know about the signals in Jackson, but from what I'm hearing, and have gathered on here, JAIL is tying up the two units at the siding behind RSDC in Holt; which is the smartest place, as there are no public roads for trespassers to gain easy access.
It also places them close to their two main customers, RSDC and Mason Box... both of which need movement daily, and are the "bread and butter" of the route.

Sucks for getting good photos though!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

From the most recent time I went through Jackson on Amtrak (just over a month ago), the center mounted crossing signals are still there at Mechanic Street....go check them out! Real cool old relics that still operate in 2010. That is the start of Jackson & Lansing's line, I'm not sure where the actual change in "ownership" starts....it may actually be right at the home signal where the branch meets the mainline.

And yes, that place in Holt is great for them but horrible for the rest of us who aren't around in the middle of the night when they run.....we just have to convince them to run during the day! :D

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

This was the southbound train, late Tuesday afternoon. Crossing the creek just north of Maple st in Mason.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

@ Dan, Nice photo, what image quality is that raw? high enough for a screen saver?
Does anyone have a high res shot of the ADBF geeps (perhaps on Lansing secondary) that they would share? Looking for a nice desktop background.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Dan - I 2nd what M&LS said that is nice pciture and sharp looking engine.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

M&LS wrote:@ Dan, Nice photo, what image quality is that raw? high enough for a screen saver?
Does anyone have a high res shot of the ADBF geeps (perhaps on Lansing secondary) that they would share? Looking for a nice desktop background.
Not on the JAIL but still a good shot.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Thanks Clay, that is a nice shot. Where is palmyra?

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

M&LS wrote:Thanks Clay, that is a nice shot. Where is palmyra?
OwlCaboose beat me to it. Palmyra is about a 1/3rd of the way to Adrian from Blissfield.

The line used to keep going straight(along US 223, that's why its straight west of Palmyra) into Adrian instead of going to Lenawee Jct and then over to Adrian. The line from Palmyra to Lenawee Jct was originally part of the Jackson Branch. After the LS&MS came though the direct line from Palmyra to Adrian became redundant and eventually got pulled up in 1887(I think).

Alizara
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alizara »

LSRC wrote:Sort of off topic, but are the unique signals on the Lansing Secondary on Mechanic St. in Jackson still there? That's under JAIL territory, right?
Still there. In fact, they recently got refurbished(the bent sign has been replaced). I doubt they'll change them anytime soon, as it's pretty much the only type of signal that the people turning from Louis Glick Hwy north onto Mechanic can see with the mainline bridge there.
I'm thinking they must be getting to Jackson at some point in the day because I've been hearing a horn that's not from any of the NS or Amtrak engines that usually go by here(I live about a mile from the Jackson start of the line)...but it's usually late at night just around when I'm going to sleep, so I've yet to see anything.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

The target signals on W. Monroe St, http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... 0Signal___
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

PennCentralPowell
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson & Lansing Railroad.

Unread post by PennCentralPowell »

Jackson & Lansing RR. southbound at Michigan Ave Lansing 7.36pm 11-6-2010, with Adrian & Blissfeild GP-7 #1760 and 8 cars. CSX L-326-06 had a Schnabel car as the last car in the train today, it was empty.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Jackson & Lansing Railroad.

Unread post by AARR »

PennCentralPowell wrote:Jackson & Lansing RR. southbound at Michigan Ave Lansing 7.36pm 11-6-2010, with Adrian & Blissfeild GP-7 #1760 and 8 cars. CSX L-326-06 had a Schnabel car as the last car in the train today, it was empty.
I believe 1760 is a GP9 :wink: Thanks for the update!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

Sunday, 5:30 pm. 1758 headed southbound from Mason with 11 cars. 1760 MIA :?:

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Were these units running light or were they in the NS Local?

Jackson-Lansing Railroad
by GTWRalph on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 am
Two Adrian and Blissfield GP9's # 1758 and # 1760 just came through Mason at 0745 northbound. Took a photo with my cell phone camera but came out blurry.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Were these units running light or were they in the NS Local?

Jackson-Lansing Railroad
by GTWRalph on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 am
Two Adrian and Blissfield GP9's # 1758 and # 1760 just came through Mason at 0745 northbound. Took a photo with my cell phone camera but came out blurry.