GLC gets $17 million loan for locomotives, shop, track

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: GLC gets $17 million loan for locomotives, shop, track

Unread post by GLC 392 »

You are correct, I have seen video of them being load tested and pictures of them. They are pretty cool i like the GP35's much better because there what i grew up with but it will be cool to see a consist of several of the 38's on a loaded grain train heading south in the same paint.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

GLC 392 wrote:You are correct, I have seen video of them being load tested and pictures of them. They are pretty cool i like the GP35's much better because there what i grew up with but it will be cool to see a consist of several of the 38's on a loaded grain train heading south in the same paint.
You and me both. Having been only 20 years old when the Annie GP35s were first delivered, I still remember as if it was only yesterday when all ten were delivered in a five month period in 1964. At least my memory is still sharp.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Im not even 20 yet im only 19 :) My dad worked for TSBY and GLC for 16 years so i was raised riding the 35's my entire life. I do remember all the 35's being around except the 386 , i also remember the day that 388 hit the milk truck, CSX run through Grain trains, and the 2648 and 2681 running together and also seeing the 2674 being cut up.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Hope they run better than the Marquette junkers did. :lol:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The Marquette "junkers" were GP50's from NREX. GP50's just suck to begin with, coupled with the fact they were ex UP and came from NRE, well, anyone could've seen that coming.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Bob M. wrote:Have just read, if true, where new GLC locomotives 396 and 399 will be leaving NRE's Paducah Ky plant very soon for Michigan with the other three, 395,397,398 to follow soon after. Said to be in GLC's blue and white colors with a new style block GLC logo on the cab. Time to start watching for these more closer now I guess.

I think it is kind of cool to see them keeping the numbering order like they have.

I often wondered where the numbers for the GP-35's came from. I know the DT&I controlled the AA when those were ordered, but they don't fit number wise with what the DT&I ordered.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I believe they followed the DT&I numbering convention. Keep in mind that the DT&I would have wanted to keep enough of a "gap" between their GP35's and the Annies to accomodate subsequent orders. As it turned out the GP35's did not turn out to be what the DT&I thought - and there weren't any follow up purchases.
What I'd like to know is how far along the C420 order was before the DT&I pulled the plug on it, and if they had been built, would they have worn Ann Arbor or DT&I lettering.

chapmaja wrote:
Bob M. wrote:Have just read, if true, where new GLC locomotives 396 and 399 will be leaving NRE's Paducah Ky plant very soon for Michigan with the other three, 395,397,398 to follow soon after. Said to be in GLC's blue and white colors with a new style block GLC logo on the cab. Time to start watching for these more closer now I guess.

I think it is kind of cool to see them keeping the numbering order like they have.

I often wondered where the numbers for the GP-35's came from. I know the DT&I controlled the AA when those were ordered, but they don't fit number wise with what the DT&I ordered.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert wrote:I believe they followed the DT&I numbering convention. Keep in mind that the DT&I would have wanted to keep enough of a "gap" between their GP35's and the Annies to accomodate subsequent orders. As it turned out the GP35's did not turn out to be what the DT&I thought - and there weren't any follow up purchases.
Trains Magazine interviewed the person who selected the AA GP35 (385-394) numbers and like MSchwiebert says they simply selected numbers that gave them enough room if more DT&I GP35's (350-357) were ordered.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

AARR wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:I believe they followed the DT&I numbering convention. Keep in mind that the DT&I would have wanted to keep enough of a "gap" between their GP35's and the Annies to accomodate subsequent orders. As it turned out the GP35's did not turn out to be what the DT&I thought - and there weren't any follow up purchases.
Trains Magazine interviewed the person who selected the AA GP35 (385-394) numbers and like MSchwiebert says they simply selected numbers that gave them enough room if more DT&I GP35's (350-357) were ordered.
While I did never really know for sure, I always thought it was neat that the last DT&I GP35 was 357 and the first AA GP35 was 385. Just a reversal in numbers. In the back of my mind, I always thought that the first AA GP35 was supposed to be 358, yet EMD twisted the last two numbers and it came as 385 instead and they continued on from there. However, am sure others are right that it was intentionally done this way. Who would have thought it would have taken nearly 46 years for the number series to go higher than 394, even if going from AA to Michigan Interstate, to TSBY to GLC, plus, another model.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

chapmaja wrote:

According to the first posted photo of GLC 399 on the Railfanning link, 399 is the former PC8031/CR8031/UP1963/LLPX2336.
Last edited by BL2-1843 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That would make it an ex GP40, then. Neat!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

MSchwiebert wrote: What I'd like to know is how far along the C420 order was before the DT&I pulled the plug on it, and if they had been built, would they have worn Ann Arbor or DT&I lettering.
AA C420s? You have me drooling. Any more info on that? Think I may have to build a fantasy unit in HO scale...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Some one has inverted the numbers, as Deisel shop shows it as a GP38-2 built for PC. That is from there listing of LLPX units.
2336: ex-UP 463/EMDX 831/CR 8031/PC 8031

Also on RRpicturearchives. Notice the heratige, of the loco.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=133037

Here is the LLPX 2336 and it appears to be this unit.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=680344

Other side as CR 8031. sure looks like this unit.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1896571
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Some one has inverted the numbers, as Deisel shop shows it as a GP38-2 built for PC. That is from there listing of LLPX units.
That would be ME! I have it right here on paper in front of me. What I have and what I typed are two different things. :oops:

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

Just scanned some TS&B fantrip stuff from Caddy-Clare in 1985, I wish GLC had gone to the Black and Yellow, that paint looked nice.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Bob M. wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Some one has inverted the numbers, as Deisel shop shows it as a GP38-2 built for PC. That is from there listing of LLPX units.
That would be ME! I have it right here on paper in front of me. What I have and what I typed are two different things. :oops:

You had me going Bob, as the 8031 could have been the 3081 and it would have been a GP40. I was not sure for sure. :D :wink:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Did a little perusing on the Loconotes Yahoo group and found the following:
According to Withers book on 4 axle Alcos, DT&I had entered an
order for 5 C-420s [sales order #21231] sometime around 1965/66.
They were to carry DT&I road numbers 200-204. The order was
cancelled at some point.

This came after DT&I had swapped an unknown number of GP-35s with LV
for, presumably, a like number of C-420s for evaluation. Evidently
DT&I was impressed enough to enter an order.

The swap with the LV did occur as mentioned above, where all the DT&I ran the LV Alcos during the test period, I do not know, but it's conceivable that they made trips on the AA. As to "why" DT&I entered with the order with Alco, I think it had more to do with the DT&I desiring a 2000 hp unit (like a lot of roads, the DT&I had issues with the GP35's being "slippery" and problematic due to electrical complexities - they were usually the first to be stored and the last to be placed back in service) - which at that time EMD did not have. (the GP20 was dead by that time)
As it turned out, DT&I became the first owner of GP38's instead, with the purchase of the 200-204 which ironically were available due to the Maine Central canceling the order they had placed for the units - which is why they came with dynamics, gyralites etc. I'm sure that EMD made "an offer that couldn't be refused" to get those locos out of inventory - and DT&I took them up on it.
I do have a question regarding the AA purchase of the GP35's, did they deplete the entire Alco FA/FB2 roster as trade ins on the GP35's? or were there some units available that could have been used as trade in fodder for the C420's had they been built?

I've seen conjecture both ways regarding how the C420's would have been lettered - either DT&I or Ann Arbor, so in regards to a "fantasy" unit - I suppose either could be done.

etmccaus wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote: What I'd like to know is how far along the C420 order was before the DT&I pulled the plug on it, and if they had been built, would they have worn Ann Arbor or DT&I lettering.
AA C420s? You have me drooling. Any more info on that? Think I may have to build a fantasy unit in HO scale...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert wrote:I do have a question regarding the AA purchase of the GP35's, did they deplete the entire Alco FA/FB2 roster as trade ins on the GP35's? or were there some units available that could have been used as trade in fodder for the C420's had they been built?
Four of 14 AA FA2's transferred to Wabash where they served until the end of their careers.

C420's did make some trips on AA trackage.

On both of the above I have a lot of info but not much off the top of my head. When I find it I'll post it here.

AA GP35's spent much of their time on DT&I while DT&I GP38's and a few GP7's were used on AA. Much has been bantered about why this was done but the most widely accepted theory is not as sexy as you might think...it was probably a lease arrangement that benefitted DT&I.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

MSchwiebert wrote:Did a little perusing on the Loconotes Yahoo group and found the following:
According to Withers book on 4 axle Alcos, DT&I had entered an
order for 5 C-420s [sales order #21231] sometime around 1965/66.
They were to carry DT&I road numbers 200-204. The order was
cancelled at some point.

This came after DT&I had swapped an unknown number of GP-35s with LV
for, presumably, a like number of C-420s for evaluation. Evidently
DT&I was impressed enough to enter an order.

The swap with the LV did occur as mentioned above, where all the DT&I ran the LV Alcos during the test period, I do not know, but it's conceivable that they made trips on the AA. As to "why" DT&I entered with the order with Alco, I think it had more to do with the DT&I desiring a 2000 hp unit (like a lot of roads, the DT&I had issues with the GP35's being "slippery" and problematic due to electrical complexities - they were usually the first to be stored and the last to be placed back in service) - which at that time EMD did not have. (the GP20 was dead by that time)
As it turned out, DT&I became the first owner of GP38's instead, with the purchase of the 200-204 which ironically were available due to the Maine Central canceling the order they had placed for the units - which is why they came with dynamics, gyralites etc. I'm sure that EMD made "an offer that couldn't be refused" to get those locos out of inventory - and DT&I took them up on it.
I do have a question regarding the AA purchase of the GP35's, did they deplete the entire Alco FA/FB2 roster as trade ins on the GP35's? or were there some units available that could have been used as trade in fodder for the C420's had they been built?
Back during this time period, I kept extensive log entries and notes on current happenings on the Ann Arbor. Getting out this log, I can tell you that it was on Feb. 1, 1965 when I first wrote that DT&I had just leased two brand new LS&I Alco's for testing. The rumor was out that DT&I would take five of our recently delivered GP35's and that the DT&I would purchase five new 2000HP Alco's for use on the Ann Arbor. Evidently, this was coming to pass because in March 1965 a three way swap of power was announced between the Ann Arbor, DT&I and LV that would bring three new LV C420s to the AA for three months, while three AA GP35s would go the the DT&I an three DT&I units would go to the LV.

It was on March 18, 1965 when AA GP35s 385,388,391 left for the DT&I on FT2, and the following day LV Alco's 413,414,415 came to Owosso on TF1. I had the privledge of riding these locomotives on their first trip from Ann Pere into Howell where TF1 spent nearly two hours here doing switching duties. As early as April 1st, I heard the LV units were nearly impossible to switch with and the rumor was out that the new order for DT&I Alco's was gong to be cancelled. None the less, the LV Alco's remained on the AA until June 7, 1965 and the 385,388,391 returned to the AA the following day.

Regarding the Ann Arbos FA2 Alcos, four of them were sold to the Wabash and ten were traded in on GP35s. 52A/55A left for the Wabash on Nov 27, 1963, (the first to go) and 50A/55 departed for the Wabash on Jan 15, 1964. The first unit to leave for trade in was #50 on Jan 2, 1965 still four months away from the arrival of the first GP35s, 385,386,387 on Apr 1, 1964.

I also have all the dates for the various power swaps, and numbers that Don mentioned above between the AA and DT&I.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Bob M. wrote:Back during this time period, I kept extensive log entries and notes on current happenings on the Ann Arbor. Getting out this log, I can tell you that it was on Feb. 1, 1965 when I first wrote that DT&I had just leased two brand new LS&I Alco's for testing. The rumor was out that DT&I would take five of our recently delivered GP35's and that the DT&I would purchase five new 2000HP Alco's for use on the Ann Arbor. Evidently, this was coming to pass because in March 1965 a three way swap of power was announced between the Ann Arbor, DT&I and LV that would bring three new LV C420s to the AA for three months, while three AA GP35s would go the the DT&I an three DT&I units would go to the LV.

It was on March 18, 1965 when AA GP35s 385,388,391 left for the DT&I on FT2, and the following day LV Alco's 413,414,415 came to Owosso on TF1. I had the privledge of riding these locomotives on their first trip from Ann Pere into Howell where TF1 spent nearly two hours here doing switching duties. As early as April 1st, I heard the LV units were nearly impossible to switch with and the rumor was out that the new order for DT&I Alco's was gong to be cancelled. None the less, the LV Alco's remained on the AA until June 7, 1965 and the 385,388,391 returned to the AA the following day.

Regarding the Ann Arbos FA2 Alcos, four of them were sold to the Wabash and ten were traded in on GP35s. 52A/55A left for the Wabash on Nov 27, 1963, (the first to go) and 50A/55 departed for the Wabash on Jan 15, 1964. The first unit to leave for trade in was #50 on Jan 2, 1965 still four months away from the arrival of the first GP35s, 385,386,387 on Apr 1, 1964.
Even if I had my notes in front of me I'd still not have given half the creditable info Bob M did or half as accurate :)