Alcos

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Sppengelly
Railroadfan...fan

Alcos

Unread post by Sppengelly »

I have heard that the LSRC/DM alcos are living on very little time. I guess Waymore Power has a window of opportunity open until Dec. 23.

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Alcos

Unread post by willardgarrett »

Progress: It happens. Let's learn to live with it.
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

willardgarrett wrote:Progress: It happens. Let's learn to live with it.
But we don't have to like it.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN RAILROAD WILL LIVE FOREVER IN MY MIND.

As for the ALCo's my understanding is they're stored servicable but highly unlikley to operate again.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ytownsteelman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ytownsteelman »

Have they given a price to acquire a locomotive? Are they capable of being interchanged? Why don't some of you pool some money and buy a unit?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Unfortunately, as much I as I love the LSRC Alco's, their time has come. They outlasted many of their sister units on many railroads. But, I think it all comes down to parts. Its not easy to find parts serviceable for an RS Unit and even harder for a C425M. Sad to see them go. I hate to even see a sticker price for one in their current condition.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Unless the Lake State decides to scrap their Alcos along with Waymore's, only the 974, 975, and 469 (which are owned by Waymore) will be scrapped now. The 181, 281, 381, and the 1280, along with the 798, 3500, 3504, 371, 2003 are still owned by the LSRC and are for sale. It's my guess that they'll wait to see if there are any takers before they scrap those.

It's a shame about the 469. The 974 has a bent frame, and the 975 is for all practical purposes shot, so I can see those units going to the scrap pile, but the 469 was left with only one minor defect. Every employee I've talked to says the 469 was a great unit and arguably the best puller on the railroad. Unfortunately the mechanical department didn't like working on a solo 244.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The 2003 was just rebuilt and repainted only a couple years ago. It must be maintenance nightmare or the railroad wants to only stick with the GP40s. Ive never heard anything positive about the 371 either.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

willardgarrett wrote:Progress: It happens. Let's learn to live with it.
That's the attitude they used to have with the "dieselization" of America, now look at what happens when there's news of "1225", "765", "844", or any other steamer comin' to town.
TrainWatcher wrote:Unfortunately, as much I as I love the LSRC Alco's, their time has come. They outlasted many of their sister units o n many railroads. But, I think it all comes down to parts. Its not easy to find parts serviceable for an RS Unit and even harder for a C425M. Sad to see them go. I hate to even see

Well said! It's so easy for a RR company to see dollar signs, when there "time has come", and in a sad way, I can't blame them, it's the "bottom line", and "scrap" money is a whole lot better than a donation to a RR Museum (no or little $). Hopefully they'll be sold for use (doubtful) or saved for future generations of kids to look at in awe, and wonder.

Ytownsteelman
Railroadfan...fan

I've saved three diesels from scrap so far, two of which in which worse shape and none have rollers. It just takes some sacrifice and determination. Hard work but well worth it.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Ytownsteelman wrote:I've saved three diesels from scrap so far, two of which in which worse shape and none have rollers. It just takes some sacrifice and determination. Hard work but well worth it.
Congrats, and keep up the greay work! I just wished more of the steamers could have been saved from the cutting torches. To this day, nothing could touch one Alleghany,... for starting up & getting moving pure tonnage at low speeds, and as for speed, they are comparible, and in many cases, better than diesels today. If only they could make them "greener". Even if they did, the "NIMBYS' would come out of the woodwork. At least they can't stop the steamer runs, for now, but that's probably next on their agenda!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ytownsteelman wrote:I've saved three diesels from scrap so far, two of which in which worse shape and none have rollers. It just takes some sacrifice and determination. Hard work but well worth it.
Just amazing! :D Can you tell us which ones? I would be more than happy to save atleast an RS, but there is no way a bank would give me a loan nor do I have anyplace to store one :(

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Great memories of those fine locomotives barking away many summers, but let the dead bury the dead.. their done, they have done their job and then some. We have enough crap rotting away in museums to take care of. :lol:

Ytownsteelman
Railroadfan...fan

Retrucking our 1942 GE 70 ton centercab (originally NYC 513) a year ago Wednesday.

GE 80 tonner (long frame). Originally Genesee & Wyoming No. 20, their first diesel.

1930 Westinghouse Visibility Cab switcher. Built for American Rolling Mill Co. by Baldwin and Westinghouse as the B-71.

The 70 tonner is on a piece of disconnected track at the Tod Engine Heritage Park in Youngstown, OH. The 80 tonner and B-71will be moved to a rented siding in an industrial park in the Youngstown area next year. The GEs were donated, the B-71 was purchased for $1.00. It cost $6,000 to truck the 70 tonner to its display site. I'm looking at about 4K to move the 80 tonner and 12K to move the B-71. Both have to go on flatcars for shipment.

The equipment is actually owned by a non profit organization that I created.

Ytownsteelman
Railroadfan...fan

One comment that I would like to make is that this is the most defeatist group of railfans that I have ever encountered. Some of you sound as if you would offer to cut these units up for the owners if they don't do it themselves. Its one thing to not have the ability or desire to preserve historic equipment, but to openly advocate its destruction is another matter.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Couldn't agree more, and for the previous comment, I'd rather have them "rotting away in a museum", than being cut up by torches. Nice find on the visibility cab by the way, I'm stunned & impressed! I didn't know there were any "ugly ducklings" left to be saved.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Sir, I cannot agree with that. There are many Michigan Railfans who would love to even step in one of their cabs. Right now, unfortunately, here in Michigan, if the money could be found and a railroad bucked up and said "Sure, store it here" it would be there in a heartbeat. If I had the $20,000 or so that it would cost to buy and move her I would. If you could point me to a bank that can allow me to get one, I'll be more than happy to try. Until that point comes, and I have that gut feeling it won't be before Dec 23, 2010, they are gonna have to fall. One of their sisters is already saved. D&M #977 is in White Pidegon, and for her in blue card condition is $92,000 dollars! Again, excellent move for an RS3U, but where to get the $$$$. If I had $92,000, you know where my money would be invested? A nice Amtrak Certified Private Varnish ATSF End Observation known as "Vista Cavern" before she was sold to FXE!

On the other hand, I must applaud you. I haven't seen a 1930's Westinghouse Vis Cab Switcher in I can't tell you when. Amazing that one is still around (minus B-73 from Armco Steel, here is a pic from 2005: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... ments=true) and a steal at $1. Did you buy it from LTEX? I see it looks like it is in a scrappers yard.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

TrainWatcher wrote:Unfortunately, as much I as I love the LSRC Alco's, their time has come. They outlasted many of their sister units on many railroads. But, I think it all comes down to parts. Its not easy to find parts serviceable for an RS Unit and even harder for a C425M. Sad to see them go. I hate to even see a sticker price for one in their current condition.
Hard to find parts? Do you work on these for a living? Because I beg to differ.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Mackinac Mac wrote:Great memories of those fine locomotives barking away many summers, but let the dead bury the dead.. their done, they have done their job and then some. We have enough crap rotting away in museums to take care of. :lol:
:)

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

I would mind having one in my back yard :D

TrainWatcher
The Beast

12Bridge wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Unfortunately, as much I as I love the LSRC Alco's, their time has come. They outlasted many of their sister units on many railroads. But, I think it all comes down to parts. Its not easy to find parts serviceable for an RS Unit and even harder for a C425M. Sad to see them go. I hate to even see a sticker price for one in their current condition.
Hard to find parts? Do you work on these for a living? Because I beg to differ.
Cannot say that I have. Last I knew MLW was making new parts and have since ceased with doing so. There maybe many serviceable spares now, but what about in a few years? Parts have to wear out and unless there is a company that is continuing to make parts, their days are numbered.