Whitmore Lake

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
HomeBuyer
Railroadfan...fan

Whitmore Lake

Unread post by HomeBuyer »

Hi all, thanks for allowing me to crash your board to ask a few questions about the trains that run through Whitmore Lake. I'm considering purchasing a duplex that is very close to the tracks and am wondering if anyone here knows how to get a hold of a schedule. I'm particularly interested in the number of trains that go through the area between 6pm and 7am. Does really heavy freight go through there? Is a whistle blown at night? I've not been able to get much information from the neighbors. Thanks! :D

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Whitmore Lake

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Whitmore Lake is near the Great Lakes Central (GLC) RR's line to Ann Arbor (Osmer). Recently they've been leaving Owosso anywhere between 8 and 10 am and would show up around Whitmore Lake in the early afternoon. After dropping off interchange traffic for the Ann Arbor RR at Osmer, the GLC train will head back north to Owosso, so it'll pass through your area twice a day, roughly an hour or so apart I'd say. Yes, the train will blow it's horn. They do run at night once in a while if there's a grain train or special train that needs to head south. Unless something comes up, they don't usually run on Saturday or Sunday.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

If you are worried about trains making noise. DON'T buy near a railroad track. Alot of people buy near a railroad track only to want the local authorities to ticket them for making railroad type noises. It's good to do the research but there are thousands of places for sale these days nowhere near an active or little used railroad track.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The GLC currently coming through during daylight hours now is no guarantee that they won't run through the area at night. There is nothing preventing them from changing their operating patterns as their business needs evolve, changing when they run trains, or adding more trains should their traffic increase. Plus, freight trains generally don't adhere to a strictly fixed schedule.

The GLC's predecessor used to run through Whitmore Lake during the night, and if there were a reason for them to go back to that, they would. Also, if anything were to come of the proposed Howell-to-Ann Arbor commuter rail line, there would be additional trains through during the morning and evening rush hours.

So, what it boils down to is that if you're concerned about train noise, my best advice is to not buy property close to the tracks.
-Fritz Milhaupt

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

I agree , if you have any concerns at all...do not buy this property.

Michigan is a wash with property for sale, many at bargain prices.

HomeBuyer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HomeBuyer »

Thanks, all, for your responses. It's investment property that I may live in for a while. Yes, there is a lot of property on the market, but not many duplexes in the area that I am looking it. The location is ideal and I've never lived near tracks, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect...and when. Thanks again and happy new year!

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

HomeBuyer wrote:Thanks, all, for your responses. It's investment property that I may live in for a while. Yes, there is a lot of property on the market, but not many duplexes in the area that I am looking it. The location is ideal and I've never lived near tracks, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect...and when. Thanks again and happy new year!
I can appreciate the way your doing your homework. More people should do it this way. :o

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

If you like trains but don't like the noise then I'd say look elsewhere. However, having lived 500' from a crossing on a somewhat busy line I can say that for me personally I enjoyed it. We actually moved in the summer time so the windows were open quite frequently. After a very short time we really never noticed them going thru at night. So my advice is put some thought into it before commiting to anything long term. Unfortunately we had to move in April of this year due to structural issues with the house from the tornado of '07 that we've been dealing with ever since. I miss being that close but where we are now we can still hear them. Just not the same though.. :(

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I wish I lived closer to the tracks. If the wind is out of the south, and the air is heavy, I can hear CSX trains on the Plymouth Sub. But not very often. Something about a train horn............... :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah I'm with you there Rich. I liked being able to hear incoming trains from the east as they were coming thru Holly making their way towards Fenton, especially in the summer time.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I agree with you guys. Of all the unpleasant noises in the world.....a moving train is just not one of them. :)

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I'm already close enough to the tracks....just need more traffic on the line :mrgreen:

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:I agree with you guys. Of all the unpleasant noises in the world.....a moving train is just not one of them. :)
I'm not saying it's unpleasant it's just not for everyone. I do agree with Mike, would be nice to see more traffic. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have built my house so close to the tracks. Unfortunately circumstances beyond my control doesn't allow me to be there but it's a sacrifce I had to make for the good of my family.