CN train hits car in Okemos tonight

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

CN train hits car in Okemos tonight

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

I cant find anymore details than what WLNS TV in Lansing is reporting. I wish I had been at my condo in Okemos tonight and able to go see this, but here's what's reported right now. Ill update this with anything I find about it.

FROM WLNS TV:
At least two cars were damaged and traffic was backed up after a car-train accident in Meridian Township.
It happened on Okemos Road between Haslett and Grand River Roads around 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
It's unknown if anyone was injured, but a 6 News crew spotted an ambulance leaving the scene with lights flashing and sirens sounding.
The accident forced Meridian Township police to close Okemos between Central Park Drive and Banyon Trail for about an hour and a half.
The road re-opened just before 8 p.m.
We have a crew on the scene and will have more on this story tonight on 6 News at 11.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN train hits car in Okemos tonight

Unread post by M&LS »

I heard second hand from CN band radio, that there was at least one fatality, body was found trackside... Talk about when its your time...poor family.

Mind you this is second hand. Maybe third.

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

update:

According to WLNS TV, there was a 2 car accident that led to one car being stranded on the tracks and that car could not get moved before a train came along and hit it. IF there was a fatality it sounds like it was from the car accident itself as they report the ppl in the car stuck on the tracks got out, but who knows if there was any fatalities for sure yet. Hopefully we know more tomorrow.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Goodness, I hope that the people in the first car got out, I would doubt the passengers in the second car are likely to have sustained fatal injuries from the details the accident.

Thanks for keeping us informed CN_Okemos!

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

No fatalities... Minor Injuries. Two vehicles hit nearly head on at the crossing. One vehicle spun around and came to rest across the tracks. Two bystanders pulled the elderly couple out of the vehicle as the train approached. Everyone was out of the way when the collision happened. Very lucky.