Breaking News!! Durand Derailment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Breaking News!! Durand Derailment

Unread post by Norm »

According to the news main 1 is open to traffic, but I would presume under slow orders. Even though I'm close there is no point of trying to get pictures because the cops have all roads leading to the scene blocked.

There has been a lot of MOW chatter on the scanner this morning. I suspect it will take them all day, at least, to get the mess cleaned up and the track repaired. Trains don't make money when they are sitting still, and in cases like this the pressure is on the MOW folks to get things back up and running ASAP.

Come to think of it, I didn't even hear the Flint local running to Durand this morning. Must be most operations have been curtailed till MOW gets things back in order.
Norm

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

All today there has been a 10mph slow order on the site, with horn and bell orders as well, there was also an order for caution at the pitssfield Ed crossing, CN had flagmen in place all day.
I gathered this from the durand radio feed chatter.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Main #2 is now open in Durand. Thus, both mains are open. I have a feeling there is still slow orders through the area. Also, if I was the dispatcher I would run trains on main #1 as much as possible, just to stay away from any personel at the derailment site.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I drove west out of town shortly after noon and there was still a 'road closed' sign on Reed Rd. There were also placarded tank trucks pulling in to unload the hydrochloric acid from the rail cars. Considering it is a hazmat situation I don't think they would've let me close enough to get pictures.
Norm

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

CNN cable news on TV tonight was still scrolling about the derailment and evacuations at around 20:00 hours!!!
Old news continues....
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I got within a 1/4 mile of it this morning on Pittsburg Rd. They are still offloading the acid into tank trucks.

Can't get close enough for pictures.
Norm

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Having been on hazmat incidents it's a time consuming project. Depending on how many cars are loaded (and with how much product) they'll be there for some time. Temps aren't a major factor but the wind speeds can come into play. Has anyone heard any specualtions to the cause of the derail?

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Pittsburg Road is one mile south of the diamond and the Canadien "Northern" train was eastbound (north) so I don't see how Amtrak would be effected. CN can detour but GLC/tsb can't so the question should be, will GLC run tomorrow.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong. Is the site west of the diamond? I don't remember a Pittsburg Road crossing over there.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

It's at Pittsburg Rd. one mile west of Durand Rd. good mile and 1/2 west of the Diamond.
Norm

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Thanx Norm.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

firemedic54 wrote:Having been on hazmat incidents it's a time consuming project. Depending on how many cars are loaded (and with how much product) they'll be there for some time. Temps aren't a major factor but the wind speeds can come into play. Has anyone heard any specualtions to the cause of the derail?
Too much Dynamic and or independent, Tail end ran in While stopping to let the conductor off west of the signal for a Durand set out. Engineer only back on the road a few weeks after years in yard service. (all rumor and speculation on my part) :roll:
It takes a lot of air to set up the tail end of a 9 to 10 thousand foot train which on
the hill coming East from Bancroft needs to start happening around Vernon Rd. if you plan on stopping in Durand when the wind chill is 10.