Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Sounds exaggerated? This is a train, not a darn car. If there had been a CXST eastbound running beside them, what the heck do you think would have happened at the power switch? They were close enough to it that there would have been a side-swipe collision. That's how people get killed, or would you in your "expert" opinion consider that to be an exaggerated statement? I seriously hope that you're not a railroader. And your "without incident" remark blows a little thin too. In the report it states they backed up without permission or protecting the rear end, not to mention that they didn't contact the CSXT Dispatcher when they finally realized something was amiss. You scare me kid, whoever you are.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

Hogger1225 wrote:Sounds exaggerated? This is a train, not a darn car. If there had been a CXST eastbound running beside them, what the heck do you think would have happened at the power switch? They were close enough to it that there would have been a side-swipe collision. That's how people get killed, or would you in your "expert" opinion consider that to be an exaggerated statement? I seriously hope that you're not a railroader.
But did that happen? If you want to, I can go through what if scenario's all night and day with you. What if a semi truck hauling gasoline ran a red light and hit another semi truck in downtown Lansing? Think of the number of deaths could result from that? What if's are crap and not FACTUAL. The FACTS say they went through a red signal, OK I'm not arguing with you there. The facts also say they stopped when they saw the switch ahead was not in their favor. So, looking at those facts, was it really necessary to stop the CSXT train for 1-1/2 hours? It is all exaggerated out of proportion, the "big dogs" trying to bully around the little guys.

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

Tyler, the railroad rule book is written in blood. The rules are there because someone screwed up and something happened. The Jail crew should NOT have been there without a CSX pilot if they didnt know the track, plain and simple. I do agree with you though that the unions are trying to grasp at straws to get the A&B kicked out, but they are barking up the wrong tree. NS decided to sell (or lease) the line. NS gave up the jobs and A&B just jumped at a good deal. The crew did screw up big time, but its called a Human Factor Incident. It happens every day!! CSX gave up track to the MQT and nobody says anything, wrong in my opinion.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

tyler_phillips wrote:
Hogger1225 wrote:Sounds exaggerated? This is a train, not a darn car. If there had been a CXST eastbound running beside them, what the heck do you think would have happened at the power switch? They were close enough to it that there would have been a side-swipe collision. That's how people get killed, or would you in your "expert" opinion consider that to be an exaggerated statement? I seriously hope that you're not a railroader.
But did that happen? If you want to, I can go through what if scenario's all night and day with you. What if a semi truck hauling gasoline ran a red light and hit another semi truck in downtown Lansing? Think of the number of deaths could result from that? What if's are crap and not FACTUAL. The FACTS say they went through a red signal, OK I'm not arguing with you there. The facts also say they stopped when they saw the switch ahead was not in their favor. So, looking at those facts, was it really necessary to stop the CSXT train for 1-1/2 hours? It is all exaggerated out of proportion, the "big dogs" trying to bully around the little guys.
Yes it was necessary to stop the train for that long. The switch at North Lansing had to be inspected, and the signal log had to be downloaded. This was not a case of the "big dogs" doing anything to the JAIL, as the exact same thing would have been done if it was a CSX crew on board and not the JAIL.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

admin edit: Removed Hogger1225's trolling post, quit how you are referring to the other members here.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Hogger1225 wrote:The signal you see in the picture is not the signal that A&B ran. It is out of sight to the left, seems it was cropped out in the photo. The signals are right across from each other.
Thanks for the clarification. I probably did crop that a bit, but it's been so long I can't remember exactly.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

CamasChris wrote:Tyler, the railroad rule book is written in blood. The rules are there because someone screwed up and something happened. The Jail crew should NOT have been there without a CSX pilot if they didnt know the track, plain and simple. I do agree with you though that the unions are trying to grasp at straws to get the A&B kicked out, but they are barking up the wrong tree. NS decided to sell (or lease) the line. NS gave up the jobs and A&B just jumped at a good deal. The crew did screw up big time, but its called a Human Factor Incident. It happens every day!! CSX gave up track to the MQT and nobody says anything, wrong in my opinion.
Then I need to apologize for not understanding how serious of an incident this was. But, some of my personal opinions on this issue still exist.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MSchwiebert wrote:Another reason why they might be a bit "touchy" to folks observing things.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument
I wonder if the BLET would be so quick to go "tattle" if one of THEIR members were the ones involved in the same situation? I somehow think not.

Practice Safe CSX

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Another reason why they might be a bit "touchy" to folks observing things.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument
I wonder if the BLET would be so quick to go "tattle" if one of THEIR members were the ones involved in the same situation? I somehow think not.

Practice Safe CSX
Exactly my point, well said.

conrail767596
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail767596 »

Passing a stop signal without authority is an FRA rules violation, plain and simple. It's not "exaggerated"- what if there had been a passenger train, or an ethanol train, sitting just the other side of that signal? The public, even most fans, think it's just "gas it and go" out here... like a car! Laughable. The rules are written in blood. It's equally as humorous to read "big guys vs. little guy" comments.

Now back to "lurk" mode.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The Yreka Western filing is interesting. I can''t find out much on line about the Yreka Western. Was a Kyle Rwy at one time but Kyle is now a RA property.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I hope Ms Brown is able to cut through the rhetoric and biasness to make a decision that is in the best interest of the customers on the line. Despite mediocore service by NS in recent years there is still a decent customer base for a short line, whether it be JAIL or someone else, to make a go of things.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

YW cunently wants to have cars switched at Lansing between JAIL and CSX
Transportation, Inc. ("CSX"), but the interchange tracks are so congested that CSX won't
work with ADBF until the interchange tracks are cleared. That means that YW is unable
to get cars unto JAIL's tracks for storage. YW has two locomotives available to clear the
interchange tracks but has been unable to get ADBF to allow YW to do the necessary
work
So I wonder if the 2 LTEX locomotives are for Yreka Western?

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Wow that Peter Thompson guy seems to be a bit of a blow hard, obviously union... I love how in his bad grammar he told the board to: "Do not hold water." ..... Ah.... Scotch and soda in your glass from now on boys, by advisement of Mr. Thompson.
And before anyone says that I'm anti-union, my grandfather worked for Olds and at his retirement(he passed away) had the longest consecutive seniority in the UAW, nation wide... So save it! I just know how much a union can become a poorly trained bureaucracy of good old boys. Nothing against them, they are still in my view an essential tool of and by the people for fairness and equality.

But boy that was a lot of dirt!!

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

AARR wrote:I hope Ms Brown is able to cut through the rhetoric and biases to make a decision that is in the best interest of the customers on the line. Despite mediocore service by NS in recent years there is still a decent customer base for a short line, whether it be JAIL or someone else, to make a go of things.

Or, possibly, whether it be JAIL or no one else!
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

15 in a 10 wow that's flying :shock:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Scooterb wrote:
YW cunently wants to have cars switched at Lansing between JAIL and CSX
Transportation, Inc. ("CSX"), but the interchange tracks are so congested that CSX won't
work with ADBF until the interchange tracks are cleared. That means that YW is unable
to get cars unto JAIL's tracks for storage. YW has two locomotives available to clear the
interchange tracks but has been unable to get ADBF to allow YW to do the necessary
work
So I wonder if the 2 LTEX locomotives are for Yreka Western?
The 2 LTEX units belong to JAIL as far as I know. I hear there may be another 2 units in the works.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

M&LS wrote:Wow that Peter Thompson guy seems to be a bit of a blow hard, obviously union... I love how in his bad grammar he told the board to: "Do not hold water." ..... Ah.... Scotch and soda in your glass from now on boys, by advisement of Mr. Thompson.
And before anyone says that I'm anti-union, my grandfather worked for Olds and at his retirement(he passed away) had the longest consecutive seniority in the UAW, nation wide... So save it! I just know how much a union can become a poorly trained bureaucracy of good old boys. Nothing against them, they are still in my view an essential tool of and by the people for fairness and equality.

But boy that was a lot of dirt!!
It is my experience that this is how the game is played in general when making a case against another. A nugget of truth is built into a mountain.

I hope JAIL prevails, I like what they have done with their other lines. But, I do not feel sorry for for them because I know from personal experience they play the same game with other innocent people. Karma is a female dog and they are getting their come-up-pance.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Scooterb wrote:So I wonder if the 2 LTEX locomotives are for Yreka Western?
Im going to say no. Sounds like with one GP down they needed to lease power just to do work. The rest LOL.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!