JACKSON - LANSING RR / PART 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: JACKSON - LANSING RR / PART 2

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

GTWFRED wrote:I for one, don't even recognize the "JAIL" term, until it's on the side of the engines, it's just the "Jackson-Lansing" Railroad to me, and I'm glad to have a new RR here. The "JAIL" moniker was a corporate decision, for whatever reason. I'm sure the workers catch enough grief from it, as it is. It just seems like "here we go again", with this thread part-2. :?
You better reread the docket that incoporated the JAIL. The JAIL are its reporting marks, dont matter weither is on the side of the loco or not. JAIL does not own any locos so therfore you wont see it on the side of the loco. The locos are owned (or leased) by the ADBF. Until JAIL (leases from a bank) locos or buys some they wont say JAIL, but the reporting marks assigned JAIL, and weither you like it or not, it is the JAIL.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
GTWFRED wrote:I for one, don't even recognize the "JAIL" term, until it's on the side of the engines, it's just the "Jackson-Lansing" Railroad to me, and I'm glad to have a new RR here. The "JAIL" moniker was a corporate decision, for whatever reason. I'm sure the workers catch enough grief from it, as it is. It just seems like "here we go again", with this thread part-2. :?
You better reread the docket that incoporated the JAIL. The JAIL are its reporting marks, dont matter weither is on the side of the loco or not. JAIL does not own any locos so therfore you wont see it on the side of the loco. The locos are owned (or leased) by the ADBF. Until JAIL (leases from a bank) locos or buys some they wont say JAIL, but the reporting marks assigned JAIL, and weither you like it or not, it is the JAIL.
On another board someone posted a message about a railroad in Lansing called, LTEX (the lettering on the recently acquired GP15-1's), and asked if we knew anything about it :lol: . I happily filled the poster in on all the irrelevant details about JAIL.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

The beat goes on.

rrboomer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rrboomer »

I always thought the AAR assigned the reporting marks.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

ADBF can slap JAIL lettering or reporting marks on any piece of equipment it owns or leases. They could reletter the entire ADBF loco fleet for the JAIL if there was a tax benefit. It's however they want to do the paperwork shuffle.

sd70accsxt700 wrote:You better reread the docket that incoporated the JAIL. The JAIL are its reporting marks, dont matter weither is on the side of the loco or not. JAIL does not own any locos so therfore you wont see it on the side of the loco. The locos are owned (or leased) by the ADBF. Until JAIL (leases from a bank) locos or buys some they wont say JAIL, but the reporting marks assigned JAIL, and weither you like it or not, it is the JAIL.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Is JAIL still using 1758 & 1760? Or are they primarily using the two LTEX units?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

rail_watcher wrote:Is JAIL still using 1758 & 1760? Or are they primarily using the two LTEX units?
From what I have read the two LTEX untis are used the most with one of the GP9's also used here and there. The 2nd GP9 was still OOS last i heard but that was from a few weeks ago so it may be running again.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

1758 has been sitting in Mason for quite a while, is that the OOS unit?

Haven't seen 1760 in more than a month.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Dan Cluley wrote:1758 has been sitting in Mason for quite a while, is that the OOS unit?

Haven't seen 1760 in more than a month.
I do not recall the numbers. If the 1760 has been MIA in a month that may be the unit OOS.

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

When I was in Lansing today I stopped by Westside Park that boarders the Saginaw yard. The GP 9 (1760) was at the south end of the yard tucked up between lines of storage cars. It was running so I'm guessing that it's being used to service Alro Steel , Padnos scrap and to move storage cars when needed.
The other GP 9 (1758) is in Mason and hasn't been used since the LTEX engines arrived in January.
On another note, it seems to be a very slow week for JAIL. I don't think they have made a trip to Jackson since Tuesday night.

Pete Mayor
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pete Mayor »

So, on a different JAIL note, I just discovered today that the GP-15's are not orange and black as I assumed but orange and what seems to be the BN Executive dark green. That's kind of cool. Maybe.

And in regards to 1760. Yes, it is at Saginaw yard. Last week saw it switching the stub yard along the CN and the river and the GP-15's were there too. Thought it was odd all 3 were working that area.

Lastly, regarding reporting marks, ADBF must have bought the CR caboose that sits at Saginaw yard cuz the can opener has been painted over and ADBF reporting marks are on it now.
"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.
"

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

There are some rumors going around RSDC that we may be going to a 24/7 schedule in the near future. 19 days on and 2 off. I heard this last week and was kind of skeptical since it was just a rumor. Over the last couple days all sorts of racks have been showing up. Metal and wood like we usually use but also at least four new metal types I've not seen before. Also they're supposed to start training some additional guards. I'm not completely sure if parts bins showing up this time of year is normal for the auto industry or not but I thought it was note worthy considering they are one of JAIL's main customers. Of course everyone is very tight lipped about it and I probably won't find out for sure until it happens.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Don't know if RSDC distributes to a stamping plant that does work for the Lansing Grand River plant (Cadillac CTS), but starting next week they're switching from a 4/10 hour days schedule to a 5/9 hour days plus Saturday (2 on 1 off) overtime production schedule. They'll be on that at least from now until Memorial Day when they're shutting down for 6 weeks to start re-tooling for the Alpha program. When they start back up mid July, they plan to continue the 5 days plus overtime at least into the fall.
RR Pass Collector

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

1760 is still there, its been there off for a while with theres a note in the window, so I'm assuming its out of commission or something.
Last edited by iNFEKT on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

Who owns the Saginaw Yard now? More importantly, who patrols it? (That very nice photo of the GP9 seems as though it would have to have been taken from inside the gate.)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

mikekmac wrote:Who owns the Saginaw Yard now? More importantly, who patrols it? (That very nice photo of the GP9 seems as though it would have to have been taken from inside the gate.)
JAIL and JAIL. When asked nicely they may allow fomaers on property. What they do not like is people venturing on equipment/proterty without permission.

Edit: I am hearing some railfans are going on railroad property without permission. Guys, if you do not get permission you will find out fast and hard that JAIL means business with tresspassers. They have had some problems with theft and vandalism so they have adopted a zero tolerance policy toward tresspassers.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:[
Edit: I am hearing some railfans are going on railroad property without permission. Guys, if you do not get permission you will find out fast and hard that JAIL means business with tresspassers. They have had some problems with theft and vandalism so they have adopted a zero tolerance policy toward tresspassers.

Agreed! Stay off the ROW and Stay on public property as you observe!! Don't venture onto the property without advanced permission. Be respectful of the railroad and their security issues due to previous problems. A good telephoto lense for photopraphy is the solution for a win-win time.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Larry G wrote: Be respectful of the railroad and their security issues due to previous problems.
Well seing as how I am not a pyscic or anything, and they dont post huge signs at every crossing, saying what there previous problems were, how are we to know what there security issues are. Sorry but they lost any respect from me on this isssue when they went on harrasing Don, for posting info seen from a freeway, and then attempted to strong arm him. LOL, what a joke of a opperation.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Sorry but they lost any respect from me on this isssue when they went on harrasing Don, for posting info seen from a freeway, and then attempted to strong arm him. LOL, what a joke of a opperation.
Don still has the detailed notes from the "Officer Daniels" incident :wink: You can only imagine how shocked he was to get a call 9pm on a Saturday night alledging they had pictures of his vehicle on DCON property and then how quickly they hung up when he told them his observations were made while driving over the I94 bridge that crosses their line :lol: So I know what you are saying sd70.

But JAIL has had issues with tresspassers and they are taking prisoners so guys whether you respect their operations or not you best be careful and if you want a picture from their property get permission first.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

Both GP-9's and both GP-15's are in MAson tonight :) I wish I had my camera with me.