MQT at PCA Filer City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

MQT at PCA Filer City

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Caught the Ex-GT Geep doing the duty for MQT on this dreary wet Wednesday.

Patrick Welch

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MQT at PCA Filer City

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Ain't that darn thing dead yet!!!!!!!
Bill

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Built 1954. It was not part of the GTW rebuild program of late 1980's / early 1990's. I am not aware if it was rebuilt at another time if if it as original as the day it left the factory :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLLXGodfather
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GLLXGodfather »

Come on Avery, you LOVE her. She went through most of the rebuild at Battle Creek.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

AARR wrote:Built 1954. It was not part of the GTW rebuild program of late 1980's / early 1990's. I am not aware if it was rebuilt at another time if if it as original as the day it left the factory :?

my rr museum the saginaw railway museum used to own the #4433 and the #4428 witch is over in flint i dont think they where ever rebuilt but one of them had its motor replaced
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Oh Great Godfather, grant me one wish. Let the darn thing sleep with the fish.
Bill

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Paint it camo and use it as a rolling deer hunting blind in the Manistee National Forest

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

A little known tidbit is the GTW GP9's 4428-4441 were the heaviest of the GP9's that GTW purchased until they received some ex-CV / GT units in later years. The 4134-4139, 4539-4545, and 4900 series were lighter with less tractive effort.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwhogger »

Now do you really want to call her original? no in fact she has had several complete tear downs to the frame with main generator change outs and rewired in house by the GTW, it is not the original block either since it froze in 62 in Muskegon and split the water jacket, but with all the power assembly change outs, radiator core rebuilding, alternators changed, etc... you can not say she is all original, even the trucks got switched with other units, it could have been riding on the F3 trucks or other CN subsidiary locos, but to call her an original GP9 yes you can say that since it still carries the EMD 567C block and G12 main generator.

OK a little carried away, LMAO