More traffic than usual on HESR Owosso Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mrpilot88
Railroadfan...fan

More traffic than usual on HESR Owosso Sub

Unread post by mrpilot88 »

I have heard more trains than usual on the HESR Owosso sub being both GLC and HESR. I'm guessing this must be a peak season for freight on this line? Sometimes up to 3 or 4 a day. Does anybody have any insight as to why that may be? Thanks, Ian

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: More traffic than usual on HESR Owosso Sub

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Probably 4 times a day, GLC twice once south once north, and the same for HESR once to Owosso and once back to Durand.

mrpilot88
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 392 wrote:Probably 4 times a day, GLC twice once south once north, and the same for HESR once to Owosso and once back to Durand.
Yeah being that it varies I have a hard time catching them. I heard a RS5T the other day in Corunna, which is something I'm not used to hearing. Unless a GLC unit has one or 8802/8804 does it had to be one of the GE units.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

mrpilot88 wrote:
GLC 392 wrote:Probably 4 times a day, GLC twice once south once north, and the same for HESR once to Owosso and once back to Durand.
Yeah being that it varies I have a hard time catching them. I heard a RS5T the other day in Corunna, which is something I'm not used to hearing. Unless a GLC unit has one or 8802/8804 does it had to be one of the GE units.
All of the HESR/CMGN GE's (8903, 8905, 5492, 5086 and 5175), plus CORP 3838 and some of the HESR GP38-2's have RS5T's. I'm not aware of any of GLC's units wearing any at this time. Seems like the new ex UP GP38-2's came with RS3L's and K3's.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

...but if I recall one of the GATX geeps that the GLC was leasing came sporting a RS5T. It was removed soon after it was placed into service. So theoretically it could have been put back on the unit, especially if it's being returned.

That being said it's most likely the HESR.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

LSRC wrote:...but if I recall one of the GATX geeps that the GLC was leasing came sporting a RS5T. It was removed soon after it was placed into service. So theoretically it could have been put back on the unit, especially if it's being returned.

That being said it's most likely the HESR.
The GATX Geeps left almost 2 months ago. But yes, one did come in with an RS5T, and one of the GP35's wore it briefly even (mounted backwards).

mrpilot88
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail Jon wrote:
mrpilot88 wrote:
All of the HESR/CMGN GE's (8903, 8905, 5492, 5086 and 5175), plus CORP 3838 and some of the HESR GP38-2's have RS5T's. I'm not aware of any of GLC's units wearing any at this time. Seems like the new ex UP GP38-2's came with RS3L's and K3's.
I know that the two GP-38's that operate between Durand and Owosso have a (8804)P5 and a (8802)P135R24 horn. Occasionally different power makes it down this way, but it is quite rare I believe. It would be pretty cool to catch a U-boat on that line. However I think the GE units are used more for the road trains.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I caught 9712 in Owosso once, but it's rare anything but the 8800's are in yard service in Durand. Since the yard power is what goes up to Owosso, that makes sense that the 8800's are all you'd ever really catch up there.