Former Ghettysburg #76

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Former Ghettysburg #76

Unread post by SD80MAC »

What are SRI's plans for this engine? I know it is to be restored, but what will they paint it in? I'd hope they'd put it in GTW, PM, C&O, AA or another Michigan railroad instead of Ghettysburg. Also, how's the work on 1225 coming? I know SRI won't reveal any info on what they're doing, hope they make it look more prototypically correct, like the 1223.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Former Ghettysburg #76

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

What are you wishing to see on 1225 that would make it "Prototypically Correct?"
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NO! Don't mess with 1225. She is already good enough as it is. I mean once they make a major motion picture, then you should not change them.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Railfan James wrote:NO! Don't mess with 1225. She is already good enough as it is. I mean once they make a major motion picture, then you should not change them.
Wasn't that an animated movie? I thought they just used the sounds from the locomotive in the movie...and the sounds don't exactly change when the appearance changes slightly...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Former Ghettysburg #76

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hogger1225 wrote:What are you wishing to see on 1225 that would make it "Prototypically Correct?"
Well, it'd be nice if they put her numberboards back on the top of the smoke box. I had heard that as delivered she wore white lettering and numbers, like the 1223 does.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Yes, but they used her ofr the animated version of 1225. They had to use measurements, and all that. Plus, the cab in the movie was prototypical

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Re: Former Ghettysburg #76

Unread post by RailCanon »

Conrail Jon wrote:
Hogger1225 wrote:What are you wishing to see on 1225 that would make it "Prototypically Correct?"
Well, it'd be nice if they put her numberboards back on the top of the smoke box. I had heard that as delivered she wore white lettering and numbers, like the 1223 does.
The 1225 is proto-typically correct as she is right now. Her current apperence is the appearence she had when she was outshopped by Lima in 1941. The High-mounted numberboards were added by the Pere Marquette some time later.
Although I agree with Jon, I'd like to see 1225 run with those numberboards for a while. I think the 1225 looks a little more classy when they are on.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

They should bring her down Detroit Area for excursions. Especially along the C&O (CSX Detroit Sub and the Toldeo Sub. that was owned by PM is the 30's.) I find it funny, that the semaphore at John Hix, is still dated to the PM Era. A lot of those signals around Plymouth too are back-dated to when PM ran in Detroit.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Might I ask why the SRI is not telling people what work is being done on the 1225? Seems like they are hiding something.
Dave C

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

Railnut wrote:Might I ask why the SRI is not telling people what work is being done on the 1225? Seems like they are hiding something.
Dave C
The only thing I know of them trying to hide is Hogger1225 hahahaha!

Just kidding Bill

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

jukeman wrote:
Railnut wrote:Might I ask why the SRI is not telling people what work is being done on the 1225? Seems like they are hiding something.
Dave C
The only thing I know of them trying to hide is Hogger1225 hahahaha!

Just kidding Bill
You might be a little closer to the truth than I would like to admit! :lol:
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Just a quick note for those who don't know:
When in-service, the 76 worked for the Mississippian Railway, and later the Frisco, before going to the Gettysburg Railroad.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ex-Frisco/MissRY #76

Unread post by j32885 »

Got to see this locomotive last summer, they have gutted it out, all the tubes are taken out to be machine.

Right now, it is a hallow boiler the smoke stack, and the wheels still attached. The cab, however is removed at the moment. The number plate on the front is left over from it's Frisco years.

I'm sure when this steam locomotive is restored to working condition, it will be either sport the Frisco or Mississippian Railway scheme. Personally, I would like to to see this engine in the Frisco scheme. :)

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Wait. I remember when.....

hold on. Didn't Mississipian rebuild #76 back in the 90's???