Notice to TSBY fans!!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Railnut wrote:The middleton branch can take 6-axle power..as long as it isn't to heavy it'self (SD38's would work..and SD40's with their balast weight reduced). 6 axle units spread their weight out better than 4 axle units..thus is why the NAR got their 4 SD38-'s (now on CN)..light rail.
Some roads use 6 axle trucks..but have the wheel araingment set up as A-1-A, A-1-A..center truck of each axle is not powered (see EMD E units, GMDD GMD-1's, and EMD SDL39's).
Not to be picky, but I'm pretty sure the SDL39's had C trucks, not A-1-A...they just used the export version of the truck, which was lighter.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

You are corect sir..they were not A-1-A's..they were modified flexcoils (err..export version)..I misread some info..they still only weigh 250,000 lbs! Perfect for the GLC.
Oh..thanks for fixing this picure links Olw! Dave C

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 392 wrote:I dont know of wait restrictions except maybe the engine house tracks, and the Middleton line definitely can NOT take the weight of the engines. But one of the restriction on the line are some of the tight curves around Alma, and other places.
Three axle radial truck can running tight curve tracks than three axles conventional rigid truck cannot conform to curves. Their flanges bite into the gauge face of the rail, wearing metal from both surfaces. see link:
http://www.emdiesels.com/lms/en/locomot ... /index.htm
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Well the jokes on me, the engineer that told me this pulled a fast one on me :roll:, plus tonite 385 and 390 had some trouble of their own. 385 had a not so good sound to it and 390 was spewing oil all over the place. Time for their turns at the shops.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

sounds like a turbo is going.

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

[quote="TrainNut85"]Well the jokes on me, the engineer that told me this pulled a fast one on me :roll:,

About the 38s?

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

No, about the 35s being gone. They bought the 38-2s, and they are on their way up.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

they need the power to badly to get rid of them, and with the new commuter service starting the definitly need new power.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GLC 392 wrote:they need the power to badly to get rid of them, and with the new commuter service starting the definitly need new power.
They couldn't use the GP35s or the 38-2s in commuter service anyway. The power they do get will have to be HEP equipped. Unless they ran the trains with a seperate HEP car, which I'd doubt.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

From usually reliable sources: Look for 2 - 38's (leased units - not bought) for freight service and some leased units from out east with HEP for transit. 38's are supposed to be a done deal, transit still negotiating

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

GLC commuters will have to reduce restrict speeds at Lakeland (Hamburg Twp) because these has between 95 degree to 100 degree curve (see map http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 4&t=h&om=1). I believe that they will stop at Lakeland arrive and depart in parking lots (former GTW MAL from Pontiac to Jackson) to Whitmore Lake, E. N. Territorial Rd, Barton Dr-Plymouth Rd in Ann Arbor.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

what is a hep car? if it is a cab car they have one sitting in Owosso right now.

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

Head
End
Power

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

ok thanks they have that already they have a cab car and i belive a couple more coming.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Steven, HEP does not equal a cab car. Head End Power is what powers all of the electrical systems on a passenger train. Virtually every locomotive used in passenger service in North America is equiped with an auxillary generator that provides the electrical power.
The only passenger service I can think of that uses a locomotive that is not equipped with HEP are the trains on the Algoma Central. They use a generator built into one of the lead baggage cars.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

oh ok i get it now.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

I happen to notice something on the map which Owl posted a link to. Is that old roadbed running next to the tracks then next to M-36? It looks like it use to be an old industrial spur.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Terra map: Lakeland http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/im ... nd%7cMI%7c
RRHX: Lakeland http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/S ... landMI.htm
RRHX: Hamburg http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/S ... burgMI.htm

TrainNut85
Can you show us where you find which point at old industrial spur?
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Actually from researching the map, its the old GTW M.A.L. line, it still looks pretty visible. If you look at it closely it looks like a very thin line, with a bridge still in place, then it ends at Whitmore Lake road, I can't find the rest from that point, unless the vegetation grew over the line, making it invisible. But it looks pretty visible heading west, but finding it east of Whitmore Lake road, I couldn't.